Notices

Issues with Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Issues with Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Hi everyone. I am about fifteen months into my recovery...and although I'm not completely a "newbie", I thought I'd post in here because PAWS sets in rather quickly. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what was going on with me until someone mentioned this issue in a meeting. I did some research and feel a bit better, but still rather confused. The issues I've been having over the last six or seven months have not been fun. I have issues sleeping...mostly insomnia..and I cannot keep a regular sleep schedule to save my life. In addition to that I have horrible issues concentrating. It has gotten to the point that I am having to take a leave of absensce for the rest of my spring semester in college because I simply cannot do the work. This is extremely frustrating as I am typically an "A" student, even while I was drinking all the time. Sometimes, I can't even remember how to spell words that I know how to spell. Also, I have difficulty making decisions. Since I have gotten sober, my mood is pretty stable, however I find that my thoughts are constantly racing...hence the issues with concentration. I was wondering if anyone else had these problems in early recovery and if so, how did you handle it? Or...is this another one of those things I'm just gonna have to sit through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi this is the best link I know of about PAWs

PAWS | Digital Dharma

Have you seen a Dr SoberinNY...I'm not disputing your diagnosis - you're the person dealing with all this - but I know from my experience chronic insomnia could explain a lot of this too...

D
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The symptoms you describe are totally consistent with post-acute recovery from depressant drugs.

It's unusual, but not rare, for PAWS symptoms to continue for up to two years. A lot depends on the combination of drugs, but even alcohol alone can have an extended period of physical recovery. Probably the worst is alcohol and benzos. Each person's brain chemistry is different, which is why psych drugs don't work the same for everyone.

I'd expect your symptoms to improve slowly. That said, Dee is right in that a good physical might turn up something. Just make sure the physician is thoroughly familiar with recovery. I'd suggest getting a referral from a treatment center. Many doctors think they know about addiction, but the ones who actually do are not in a majority by any means.

If the doctor suggests any mood-altering substance, such as a benzodiazepine drug (look it up or ask your pharmacist) don't take it. It will help short-term, but will ultimately prolong the PAWS. It could also trigger a relapse on any other drugs. Remember, your pharmacist is your friend. It's her job to know all about drugs.

Good luck, and congratulations on your fifteen months! Be sure to hit those meetings.

ps: I'm the guy who wrote the PAWS article that Dee referenced.