Notices

12 Year Addiction To Pills...

Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 Year Addiction To Pills...

I have been abusing drugs and alcohol since I was 16, but the real problems started when I was prescribed opioids and benzodiazepines in 2000. I went from being a reasonably attractive and successful young man, to someone who is basically old, sick and addicted to pain pills and benzos. I made an attempt to sober up in June of 2010 and lasted six months, bezno withdrawal was extremely brutal as I didn't sleep more than an hour a night for 3 of those months. I ended up turning back to pills, using on occasion and then, on a regular basis by this past fall.

I don't drink or use street drugs but the pills have destroyed my life, I'm currently taking hyrdocodone, klonopin and xanax. These are all prescribed by my doctors but like most addicts, I always take more than what I am prescribed so I end up running out early, sick and in withdrawal. I'm at the point now where I am losing my health, if it isn't gone already. I desperately want to sober up but I can't imagine life without pills.

If anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences, would really appreciate some feedback as I feel I'm nearing (or at) the point of no return. Even when I sobered up for 6 months, I still looked like crap and felt sick all the time so part of me is saying, what's the use. However, I don't want to end up dead, overdosing, if for nothing else for the sake of my family.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know the one drug starting with k but I'm trying to get off norco too! I was on xanax for a while tohelp with my anxiety from lifes stresses but I stopped taking that so I could start thinking clearly. I didn't have any side affects physically but mentally its hard. U need a support system or just a therapist to talk ur problems out too.it does help. I haven't gone to therapy in a while but maybe I should! I'm not feeling too great lately because of norco.

Just be set in what u want to accomplish and just start with one thing. I started today with half a pill and tomorrow I'm not talking any. Make that first step of where u want to go, what u want to accomplish. Im looking for help here too but I hope u find the answer u need and get it don't! It takes a lot of willpower!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We both posted on here today looking for help! Find someone u relate to the most and tell them everything that is happening, ur plan, ur daily goal, and what u want ur outcome to be. I see u as what id be if I don't get help now too. Started with what drs prescribed! And now here we are suffering more than we ever were before! Tell me ur progress, if talking to a stranger helps me a little it might help u. I'm looking for answers and if I find some ill share! I feel telling u all this from what I've heard and read will somehow help myself as well but I can't encourage myself right now
Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All I know is that if u keep thinking about getting more pills instead of how can I get off them that's a problem. Just get up and say this is it. I'm getting off and it will be hard, very hard but when its over I will feel amazing and never have to depend on a pill ever again! That's all I've been thinking!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I realized I was in the wrong forum only after posting this, not much experience with opioid addiction here. Hopefully the substance abuse forum will be more helpful for you.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have members common to both forums Steven - I'm sure you'll find support and experience here

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

you mentioned doctorS. Do they all know what you are taking?? Maybe be honest with them and ask how you can get off of them?

I wish you well,
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello, I've been struggling with the yellow devil pills myself for about as long as you. I had multiple clinics in my town that would just take my money and prescribe what i wanted. Thankfully my angel of a wife caught me and made me tell my primary doctor about my addiction. I was amazed at how compassionate and understanding they were. They understand how addictive these devil pills are, and will put you on a program where you can get off. If you are like me and are taking the pills for an injury, they will get you on the right path to stop the pain so you dont need them anymore.

Good luck, there is help out there.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Steven. I too am a recovering alcoholic and pill popper. I can relate to much of what you are sharing. In particular, the difficulty of finding medical professionals who know how to work with abuse issues - amazing how many offices I walked into being up front about my benzo abuse who would still try to send me home with a script for benzos or something just as dangerous to me. I am new to this site and finding it very helpful - hope you find support here as well. I can't promise you life without pills will be rosy and fabulous but as you said, the pills are destroying your life. Anything's got to be better than that, right? I've been on both sides of it and can tell you the worst possible day is better than that moment after you've taken too many pills and it hits you that you might not wake up this time.