SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drunk phone calls (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/242751-drunk-phone-calls.html)

soberred 12-05-2011 04:27 AM

Drunk phone calls

I guess I now know how people felt when I called them up drunk. Last few days I have gotten drunk calls from my brother. That slurring "hey sis, I love you, and then 2 hours later calling again to say "hey sis, just wanted to call and say I love you". It wouldn't be so upsetting if it weren't for the fact he has cancer. He has been on a 3 day drunk and is going to chemo today. As if the chemo and radiation doesn't reek havoc on his body enough. He has to poison himself good before his last chemo treatment. I am so angry at him. I want to call him up and tell him but what good is that going to do? I would only sound like a hypocrite. You can't tell a drunk what they are doing wrong. I hate alcohol. I hate everything it does. I wish I would have never taken that first drink. I hate the destruction, pain and term-oil it has caused my family for generations. I hope I have at least broken the cycle for my daughters and their children. Thanks for letting me vent. :wild

Tigger41 12-05-2011 05:15 AM

I'm so sorry. This must be very difficult.

sugarbear1 12-05-2011 05:47 AM

Hugs! Glad you're sober!

Prayers to you & your brother,

ttbp 12-05-2011 05:58 AM

Hugs for you and your brother xx

SomethingBetter 12-05-2011 06:59 AM

I used to call my freinds drunk to talk, I'd make promises that I really didnt want to make, now I dont even wanto talk on the phone at all being sober, go figure.

I wish you the best, you can be and stay sober if you really wanto quit.

soberred 12-05-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter (Post 3194888)
I used to call my freinds drunk to talk, I'd make promises that I really didnt want to make, now I dont even wanto talk on the phone at all being sober, go figure.

I wish you the best, you can be and stay sober if you really wanto quit.

Sober for 8 days shy of 5 months

Anna 12-05-2011 07:10 AM

I'm so sorry for what you and your brother are dealing with.

I also made random drunk phone calls and still cringe at the memory of them.

soberred 12-05-2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 3194897)
I'm so sorry for what you and your brother are dealing with.

I also made random drunk phone calls and still cringe at the memory of them.

Ya. Been there. Amazing how being sober enables you to deal with things with maturity. Had I been drinking, I might be crying in my vodka right about now.

soberred 12-05-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3194840)
Hugs! Glad you're sober!

Prayers to you & your brother,

Glad I'm sober too. Thanks :ghug3

Fandy 12-05-2011 07:30 AM

I don't understand how your brother can even tolerate alcohol if he's been undergoing chemo (and i assume radiation too, they usually go together). the treatments dehydrate and make you sick as a dog without help. he might be more susceptable to alcohol poisoning and his radiology-oncologist should know what he's doing.

i'm sorry for the circumstance, hope you are doing better today.

soberred 12-05-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fandy (Post 3194924)
I don't understand how your brother can even tolerate alcohol if he's been undergoing chemo (and i assume radiation too, they usually go together). the treatments dehydrate and make you sick as a dog without help. he might be more susceptable to alcohol poisoning and his radiology-oncologist should know what he's doing.

i'm sorry for the circumstance, hope you are doing better today.

I don't understand that myself. He is already dehydrated. I doubt they would give him his treatment today if they knew he was on a 3 day drunk. I am a nurse. You think he would listen to me? NO! Very frustrating.

sissy07 12-05-2011 10:37 AM

Soberred,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Prayers and hugs to you and your brother. Take care.

Fandy 12-05-2011 10:47 AM

maybe he needs extra hydration therapy before chemo treatment? especially if he has not been able to eat, there is nothing to absorb the booze he's taking in. do they have him taking clonazepam?

again, i understand your frustration and am glad you are holding up well.

soberred 12-05-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fandy (Post 3195125)
maybe he needs extra hydration therapy before chemo treatment? especially if he has not been able to eat, there is nothing to absorb the booze he's taking in. do they have him taking clonazepam?

again, i understand your frustration and am glad you are holding up well.

No. He is on pain killers, phenergan and buspar. I know he is dehydrated because his bp is really low and turgor is poor. He is eating ok now but doesn't drink enough fluids. He isn't listening. I know he is going to be very sick after this treatment.

Dee74 12-05-2011 11:35 AM

I'm sorry for your situation, soberred.
It's so hard to watch people we love make self destructive decisions.

D