Notices

I want a drink!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want a drink!

God I feel so alone and helpless. I was abandoned by the one I love, and I want to numb the pain. It would be so great to just forget for a while.

Help, please
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know there is no problem in the world you can have...That alcohol can't make worse...Think about that for a minute.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
orangutan

Flutternutter sorry your going through this but alcahol is not the answer all your problems will still be here tomorrow and you will be hungover to top it off. Thinking of you.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey FN - hang in there. I'm sure what you're feeling is hard but I'm sure alcohol won't really help in the long run.

Is there anything you can do to take your mind off it for awhile? Or just stay on this site and keep posting. There were times when I really wanted a drink that I would post like a man woman. Anything not to drink. Hang in there please.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your pain but having been there...drinking doesn't take away the pain - even if you manage to banish it tonight....it will be there tomorrow....along with all the shame and guilt and any other consequences that might ensue from drinking.

Broken hearts are hard but they do heal...if we let them.

I lost 2 years of my life drinking over someone (1997-98 are still only a handful of flashed memories to me). I still had to deal with the loss when I eventually sobered up.

It's ok to be sad...I know it's uncomfortable but it's a lot quicker the natural way than it is drinking, FN.

D
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many times I drank to suppress painfull feelings only to end up feeling more hopeless and depressed. Having a drink won't fix anything. Hang in there for one more day.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't do it. I watched the movie "Airplane!". And I actually laughed when Stryker's "drinking problem" came up.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haha! Funny you mention Airplane. I've had a rather nasty disaster movie addiction lately. Watched three Airport movies in a row the other day. There's a woman with a "drinking problem" in one of them. Reminds me of someone I recently called it a day with. I think I'll stick to Towering Inferno etc for a while before I get involved with anyone. Drinking isn't going to help in the long run. You'll just put the problem on hold. Then all the issues which have been masked by intoxication will have to be dealt with... eventually. Keep distracting yourself with cheesy movies. It's a lot healthier! And that's really saying something!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffernutter View Post
I didn't do it. I watched the movie "Airplane!". And I actually laughed when Stryker's "drinking problem" came up.
That's awesome. Have a great day today!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to laugh.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, and that's the way to do it.

Next time, it will be a bit easier.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post...I am sort of feeling the same way today almost for no good reason, maybe just boredom with my sobriety. This sounds to me the true essence of one day at a time and I am probably going to watch a movie tonight...(a comedy) to help pass the time and hopefully this urge to drink.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Mandy, welcome to SR. I saw your post in another thread. Thought my reply would fit here. You wrote that you were thinking about drinking again after 15 months sober:

Originally Posted by MandyPants View Post
Just how will I know that I can not handle alcohol again unless I try.
You haven't posted anything about your background. I don't know what kind of alcoholic chaos makes up your story. But if your drinking was anything like mine, what will be the results of this test if you fail? If you find you can't handle it? Anything good?

Probably not. Anytime I start bargining with the alcoholic brain, no matter what my rational for thinking about drinking, there is only one reason. I just want to get drunk. And if that's the case (because why would I want just one?) then I know that alcohol still has no place in my life.

Are you happy in your recovery? Are you really willing to risk it for the most elusive goal of the alcoholic--to drink normally? Please, please reconsider.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just watched that movie last week! And the second one. They're good for the constant gaffs. good for you on making it through a rough night!