Notices

idk any more

Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation idk any more

i mean like i still am having the temptations to use still.. idk what to do. its gonna happen so many times these cravings. and im gonna lose control. i getthem everyday most of the day and i cant fight much longer. i miss my ex but i know it willl never happen again, i cant believe i admitted to that but. i need help. im tryingto do the right thing. i know what i need to do but i need someone to be there besides NA and my family. i miss having a special some one to loook up tooand to depend on if i needed support. i just need someone to understand. what do i do. please reply on this post.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know ultimately it's down to us - but I agree supports very important Zach - and there's a lot of it here.

You're not alone

D
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Zack have you tried exploring meditation or "urge surfing"? I think part of the reason we sometimes experience cravings as constant is because we focus on them when they arrive in our minds, rather than just acknowledging them when they arrive and then letting them drift away. I'll try to dig up a link for you to read more about it if you haven't explored it yet and are interested.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes that would be great thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's an article that Dee posted:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Dee, do you have any other links to share? I recall you were one of the people who introduced me to this, and I think you had a few other links with additional information?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also you might want to check out the book "The Tao of Sobriety." It really helped me with a technique call mindfulness -- just being aware of your thoughts and where they come from.

Others might have some other ideas or experiences with AVRT and other techniques. There are lots of resources out there in addition to NA and your family -- I think if you make an effort to explore some of them, you'll find a technique that clicks for you.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're interested in urge surfing I trawled around and found a few more links Zach

Sober Recovery Articles » Urge Surfing

Dr George's Blog » Urge Surfing – A Cool Skill

Mindfulness and Addiction: Part 3 | Mindfulness and Psychotherapy

The technique of 'playing the tape through to the end' was also useful to me.

It's easy to think of getting drunk or high and being seduced by remembering the initial feelings - but try and force yourself to remember the consequences too - the sickness, the embarrassment, the missed responsibilities, the regret....

I think techniques serve their place, but I hope you'll keep searching out face to face support too. SMART offers that face to face support but it's secularly based...it might be worth looking at if you decided you need an alternative to NA.

SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Addiction & Alcohol Abuse

D
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're interested in urge surfing I trawled around and found a few more links Zach

Dr George's Blog » Urge Surfing – A Cool Skill

Mindfulness and Addiction: Part 3 | Mindfulness and Psychotherapy

The technique of 'playing the tape through to the end' was also useful to me.

It's easy to think of getting drunk or high and being seduced by remembering the initial feelings - but try and force yourself to remember the consequences too - the sickness, the embarrassment, the missed responsibilities, the regret....

I think techniques serve their place, but I hope you'll keep searching out face to face support too. SMART offers that face to face support but it's secularly based...it might be worth looking at if you decide you need an alternative to NA.

SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Addiction & Alcohol Abuse

D