Notices

i want to get sober need some help

Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i want to get sober need some help

Hello i joined this forum because i really dont know where else to go..
i am addicted to percocet, heroin and any other opiate i can find.
today i did my last 2 bags of h and tomorrow i want to be the first day of the rest of my life but i need some tips to get me through the next 3 days of work without giving in to the withdrawal symptoms. i made a 30 day calendar to mark each day i make it through to help ease things along but any other tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Personally, I was addicted to alcohol, so I can't speak to your specific addiction. I do believe you can kick it, though, and I'm glad you found our forum because you will find a lot of support here.

Best of luck to you in your recovery!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the courage it seems like in this point in my life the only people i can talk to about my true addictions are the ones getting me high so i really have no where to be completely honest because im only 19 years old and really cant tell my parents how bad it is because i would end up on the streets and that would not help my chances of getting sober and turning my life around
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You can always be honest on here, tjm0135. Even though I haven't been in exactly that spot, I've been a slave to a substance before and I know the sense of powerlessness you are probably feeling.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to be honest it makes me sick to my stomach to think about needing a drug in my body just to get through the day it really is a dark place to be when you realize how far you have fallen in your life
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That's so true, it is a really sickening feeling to realize that. I'm so happy that you have reached that realization at 19 though, not everyone is so lucky.

Is there any way you can discuss your addictions with a doctor? Not sure where you live, but obviously privacy laws would prevent the doctor from being able to tell your parents about it as you are an adult.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i have had 3 sessions with a psycologist but i can tell him in bits and pieces about my problems but if i came out about how bad it is to him i feel like i would end up in rehab privacy laws aside so i feel like i can kick it without a doctor just need people who have been at this point in there lives to talk to because i have not found that before tonight most likely because i have never looked
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR tjm0135

I don't know anything much about opiates, but you'll find a lot of support here

we also have a substance abuse forum too:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! As ((Dee)) mentioned, we have the substance abuse forum and there are a LOT of people there who have/or are still going through opiate withdrawals.

I abused them, a LOT, but for some reason I never had withdrawals and then turned to crack.

From what I've read, it's like a really bad case of the flu...restless legs, diarrhea, sniffles and aching all over. Not really sure you'll be able to work through that. Seems it starts getting better in about 7 days (again, from what I read).

Suggestions I've read are to stock up on sports drinks (gatorade/powerade type stuff that has electrolytes in it), get some immodium, take lots of hot baths for the restless legs, and be prepared that you're going to get very little sleep for a while.

However, I know of numerous people who have done it. I also think that the support of other recovering addicts is crucial. My recovery was enhanced by people here who were addicted to all kinds of things, but they each taught me something.

There are numerous recovery programs available and I think they're posted in the stickies (posts at the top of the substance abuse forum).

The good news? This can be the last time you have to go through it. May want to journal what you're going through, so you have it to read back when the using thoughts come back.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy