SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ever been busted on Probation? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232697-ever-been-busted-probation.html)

psilyguy 07-26-2011 11:16 PM

Ever been busted on Probation?

Just curious if anyone's had to deal with PO's, drug tests and what happened. Ive been the most sober the last 45 days that I've been in years but I did slip a few days ago and now worried what would happen if I had an ETG test done.

detroiter 07-26-2011 11:29 PM

Do you know for sure that your court,probation officer, clinic (or whoever tests you) uses the ETG? I heard the legal systems rarely ever use those because they're inaccurate and way more expensive than the standard breathalyzer/urinalysis. I know for sure my court didn't. We were breathalyzed randomly throughout the day tho.

ACT10Npack 07-26-2011 11:30 PM

The 80 hour alcohol test. When was the last time you drank and when do you have to take this test? Are you worry that you maybe called in for the ETG test or do you have to take it every week?

I was on probation for my DUI in Florida and I was drunk 50% of the time in those 6 months. They only test me once in those 6 months. I was not allow to consume alcohol or drugs. When my PO call me for the drug test I freak out because I drank the night before and I only would have 36 hours before I take the test. I got lucky because they didn't test for alcohol just for hard drugs.

If you know for sure you have to take an ETG then there is not much you can do but drink a lot of water and try to delay the test to the last moment. They will only give you 24 hours to take it so if you can get it to 48 hours since the alcohol was out of your system you should be okay.

Can you give us a little bit more information.

psilyguy 07-26-2011 11:40 PM

I've done the ETG tests before but it was a silly system where I could pick any day during the week and show up, I recall drinking a 12 pack on Sunday night and still passed on Wednesday, but I think it was out of sheer luck. Now that I'm officially on Probation I have to report once a month to meet the PO but he mentioned 'random screenings', it's been 5 weeks so far and nothing.

I know if I dont drink then obviously I have nothing to worry about, however going from a case a day to a couple a week is massive progress for me. I'm clean on drugs, and want 100% sobriety... just a bit of a struggle.

ACT10Npack 07-26-2011 11:54 PM

What state did you get your DUI/DWI and how long are you on probation plus what beer did you drink?

I can give you a better luck on how often you maybe getting random screening.

Snarf 07-26-2011 11:59 PM

I've never had a drug screen on my probation (which is for DUI #2), but she did give me a breathalyzer once. Not sure how far back it could detect a drink in my system, but it's a good thing my last drink was the night I got arrested. Jail isn't a place I'm keen to visit again.

Dee74 07-27-2011 12:10 AM

I appreciate you're feeling nervous psilyguy - and I'm not being a wiseguy - but the best way to past the test is, as you suggested, not to drink.

What support have you got to help you stay sober?

D

ACT10Npack 07-27-2011 12:18 AM

Dee74 do you think psilyguy should look into impatient rehab and there he will know that he will not drink? I ask because if he is still drinking once a week and he have to go through 20 weeks of probation I feel like he will get caught by the PO.

Dee74 07-27-2011 12:28 AM

Well rehab might solve the test problem sure, but I personally never used rehab to stop drinking, so I'm not qualified...I did use a lot of support tho :dunno:

There's actually a bigger issue here than passing tests I think - and it's one we all face - don't you think? :)

D

ACT10Npack 07-27-2011 12:33 AM

Yes but remember he is on probation and last thing he needs is to break probation. That will add double the time on probation and/or jail time. Getting psilyguy into rehab will let him have 28 days of sobriety which may force him to realistic that staying sober is not a are thing to do when you have the tools.

psilyguy 07-27-2011 12:57 AM

On probation for 18 months, 12 if all goes good, 2nd DUI charge. This is in Utah. I enjoy being sober, never felt better really, I just cave in when I see others doing it. Before my trial I had to complete 60 hours in AA and voluntarily did 200 hours of community service.

stugotz 07-27-2011 04:30 AM

Dee stole my thunder. In 7 weeks I will be finished with 36 months of house arrest. Not once did I worry about a drug screen, why? Because sober I could do 36 years if I had to. Just sayin...

Latte 07-27-2011 06:53 AM

My only solution was to stay clean and sober. I was never tested during my probation, but the threat was there and the court (mental health) I went through-I watched the people who got caught go right to lock up from court. That is not what I wanted. The judge and my case worker were wonderful people, as long as you did what you were told.

My solution was to live in the solution. I'm still on unmonitored probation (4 years total) and they let me leave the state because of my husbands job. I'm here as a favor. I don't even speed here. I'm so incredibly grateful for the mental health court and the case worker for taking a chance on me.

I understand, this is an illness, but there is treatment, I truly hope you find it.

Spawn 07-27-2011 07:33 AM

So the probation didn't convince you?
Now we're learning how to cheat these tests.
You mess with it enough.......next is jail.

Elisabeth888 07-27-2011 07:33 AM

*raises hand*

Today is day 50 for me, but in my brilliance I went to my PO after I had been drinking. Yeah, I know.

I went straight to jail and stayed there for 9 days until I could see the judge. He let me out by the grace of God and I have not drank since and nor do I want to. I do have an ankle monitor for alcohol on though. I have heard a lot of courts are using them for probation violators instead of jail.

I am working a strong program for when this thing comes off because I am just done.

Violating probation is pretty serious. I think they can do whatever they want to with you.

StPeteGrad 07-27-2011 07:48 AM

Speaking only for this boozehound (12 pack a day plus various shots and drinks) - I got nailed for DUI Feb 13, 2011. That was also the date of my last drink. I knew I would not be able to just get sober on my own - that I would cheat or sneak drinks and that the temptation would loom way too large for me so I went to in-patient treatment followed by AA.

Three key advantages in *my* situation:
1. It gave me a strong kickstart to get and stay sober
2. It looks really good in front of the court and judge
3. Since I am 100% sober I can pass my 8-10 alcohol breathtests per day that are administered via ignition interlock with a 0.00% BAC.

IMHO - if a person doesn't really want to get sober they should just put in the jail time and be done with it. I know a guy who played the probation game for 3 years before being busted for DUI again and spent an entire year in jail.

Opivotal 07-27-2011 07:59 AM

Random testing means just that. Probation has the right to come to your home and test you for alcohol. They can show up at anytime. Besides being tested when you appear once a month. This is the law in NY...I don't really know in Utah.

Your best bet would be to get into recovery. If your drinking...you will eventually get caught. Your playing Russian Roulette IMO. If you test positive, you WILL be arrested on the spot!

Best Wishes To You!

stugotz 07-27-2011 08:10 AM

It doesn't feel pain! It can't be reasoned with ! - Butthead (1993)

psilyguy 07-27-2011 09:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Mostly seems like random breath tests if they do show up, someone at the office told me they didn't see their PO for 3 months but didn't know if they do ETG tests. I still have the urge to drink when I get stressed.... I know I know.

Elisabeth888 07-27-2011 11:20 AM

Hey PS, did you have to get a drug and alcohol evaluation as part of the terms of your probation? Most times they will refer you to counselors.

Speaking from experience here, if you are an alcoholic the chance that you will get in trouble again if you continue to drink is EXTREMELY great.

It just gets worse and worse. I feel so blessed that I did not kill anyone while I drank and drove. Don't know if that is why you are on probation or if this applies to you but... just wanted to share my experience.