Notices

Dealing with Loneliness & Boredom

Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I hope aidadeb found his way. His story from 4 years ago still rings true for many of us, as it has for centuries now.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dee74

Something that gets said over and over is to get involved with other things in life. I have a place in my mind that I go to whenever I feel or am faced with a trigger about to raise its ugly head. I think about the sacrifices my parents made to raise me to be honest and hard working. I think about the sacrifices made in our American history and most recently in Iraq and Afghanistan by our military men and women who selflessly protect us. I think about my own personal sacrifice about leaving my family in England to come back to the US to make myself better. These events are all in themselves triggers. When I want to drink these days I think more about how I can help and not be a burden on anyone including myself. I think about how ashamed I am of being so selfish and shutting everyone out. I know that when I deal with a trigger head-on my ability to defeat it them is strongest.

I can understand the need for help from outside sources. In speaking to my doctor about the issue I received some excellent advice. My doctor advised me to meet every trigger head-on and make it my enemy. The doctor went on to say that the only person who can defeat my problem was me. My doctor knows me better than I know myself, so help in any form may provide just the direction you need to go. The only thing with advice is that you have to buy into it and make the commitment to follow through to make yourself better. That is what has worked for me. I no longer feel shameful or pitiful. All because I am not drinking.