Notices

When and how to notice change?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When and how to notice change?

Hi,

I suffer from slight anxiety disorder, w/ physical symptoms (sweating) which requires me medication on a as needed basis (at my discretion). I came here because I realized a big link between alcohol and my nervous system.

Thread of Reference:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-new-here.html

I guess my question is, how far in will I see genuine results? As I quit drinking and take medication for my anxiety, will my health get better? I've never taken medication for anxiety until I started working.

In terms of progress, I don't drink on weekdays anymore and only on weekends. At best, I am able to give up for about 2 weeks before I relapse. I'm trying hard to break it, but it isn't easy. Yet, I am sort of happy of the progress I made by not drinking on weekdays whatsoever.

Some of my other concerns include fatigue, hair thinning and memory impairment. Anyone in a similar situation? Living w/ occasional benzo and drinking problem?

please tell me it can get better..

thank you
Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i don't have much experience to add. have you spoken to your doctor about these concerns? as far as drinking only on weekends - most of the alcoholics i know say they have poor results when they try to control the addiction.

keep reaching out! k
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd expect that results would vary - but you'd really need to knock the weekend drinking on the head Froglet.

My body and mind were so attuned to running on alcohol that even a little bit kept me in the cycle.

I know it took me 90 days - at least - of total abstinence to even start to notice changes in perception and my perspectives on things and to feel less anxious and more comfortable in myself.

I think PR's suggestion is the best - ask your Dr this stuff if you haven't already

D
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first 90 days were pretty tough for me, and I started taking meds 1 month after quitting. The first fog started to lift after 90 days. Took me about 6 months to really start feeling good. It was worth it though.

You won't get there though if you're only drinking on weekends. Your body/brain needs an extended period of time to re-calibrate, and by drinking on weekends you're giving it mixed signals.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This sounds pretty similar to me, although I went on meds and then my drinking really got bad. Anxiety meds and alcohol don't mix. It took at least a few weeks for them to "kick in". Fatigue was a huge issue fore me. I was constantly tired and took 2 or 3 naps a day. I had no will to do anything, and really had no emotion. It sucked.

I'm assuming you're on an SSRI and/or benzo combination. These are dangerous and you really shouldn't be drinking and taking these at the same time. It's like throwing a wrench into your brain's chemistry and it can really get bad, as in my case.

So my advice to you:
Get a therapist. They're very helpful.
Quit drinking, then deal with the anxiety issue.
Get a doctor, ween off the meds. You can't take them the rest of your life.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't take medication for anxiety but I probably should. I have really bad anxiety and panic episodes and have for most my life. Also I have a very difficult time sleeping. I recently noticed it gets worse after a day of drinking. Like you, I don't drink every day. I recently went a month without drinking to prove to myself I could and it wasn't that hard. But when I do drink I drink a lot. I have a preference for binging. I do it at least every couple of weeks, and moderately drink in between. Since I don't feel like I need alcohol and don't drink daily I thought I didn't have a problem. But like you, I had sort of an epiphany in that it might be interfering with my anxiety..even days after drinking. I stumbled upon "PAWS" (post acute withdrawal syndrome) while doing research online and the symptoms all apply to me and my anxiety. If you haven't looked at it I would recommend googling it.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

PAWs, if it happens at all (it doesn't to everyone) usually comes in after a period of complete abstinence, gypsy.

I'm not a Dr, but if you're still drinking, I'd be looking for other reasons for your symptoms

Have you seen this?
PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

PAWs, if it happens at all (it doesn't to everyone) usually comes in after a period of complete abstinence, gypsy.

I'm not a Dr, but if you're still drinking, I'd be looking for other reasons for your symptoms

Have you seen this?
PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Froglet, my suggestion would be to create a sobriety journal so you can keep track of your personal progress and the changes which are happening to you.