Notices

Is it PAWs?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it PAWs?

Day 10 and I am through the worst of my withdrawals. I am taking multivitamins, drinking lots of water, sleeping good. My liver enzymes are good thank God. The last few days I feel as though I am buzzed. Kind of hazy like I had a couple of drinks. Is this PAW's? Does it last long? I am usually very sharp but I feel like an air head lately.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

PAWS encompasses a number of symptoms that are a result of your brain recovering from massive alcohol and drug abuse—anxiety, memory loss, confusion and so forth. But it usually strikes later in recovery--90 days, six months, and so on.

I'd guess you are still in the grip of initial withdrawal rather than Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It clears. Good that you are thinking about PAWS. When it hit me it almost derailed my recovery.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most of us have screwed our entire system for years, it takes awhile to bring things back in balance. It can seem a roller coaster ride at times but the track will even out. Keep aware, keep on moving forward.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
PAWS encompasses a number of symptoms that are a result of your brain recovering from massive alcohol and drug abuse—anxiety, memory loss, confusion and so forth. But it usually strikes later in recovery--90 days, six months, and so on.

I'd guess you are still in the grip of initial withdrawal rather than Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It clears. Good that you are thinking about PAWS. When it hit me it almost derailed my recovery.
No chance of that. I insist. I am in it for the long haul. AA meeting at 12 today.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I had been drinking for years before I quit....it took me about 2 months to feel back in mental and physical balance. It did get easier every few days tho.

I'm glad you are moving forward....and are making healthier choices...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it's not PAW's, then my blond roots must be showing. I am such an air head right now. No disrespect to blonds. I was born one. LOL.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many of us have put ourselves through a lot of abuse, there's a fair bit of repair work to be done, and recovery is a long term process. It all takes time, I don't know if many people feel very 'normal' 10-14 days into recovery.

I did a lot of reading about PAWS in my recovery, I think I suffered from it occasionally (it came and went), it eventually cleared though. At the end of two to three months if you aren't really feeling better, it may be best to start looking at some further help. Try not to be too alarmed at this stage though.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt pretty decent after the first week but from about days 50 to 110 I could barely string together four words. When I was in treatment I was still very articulate and could comprehend very complex ideas. At day 50 I could barely say my name in AA meetings (literally!). It was very frustrating for a while but it has passed. I imagine there will be more surprises to come.

It's great you're taking an active approach to your recovery - especially paying attention to what's going on in your head. That will go far!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You cant fix years of damage in days. What you are feeling is your body and mind healing, not something named after dog feet.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I totally agree. My job requires critical assessment skills. I hope it gets better when I do go back to work. At least I am sober.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think foggy brain is something pretty common to most, if not all of us, in early recovery

Like Carl suggested PAWs is generally a later thing, by my understanding

PAWS « Digital Dharma

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometimes the more stressed out you become about it, the worse it can get. And I don't really like saying that because I know how hard it can be to counter stress at a time like this.

There are some methods people use that they find helps to clear their own thoughts. Like some breathing/relaxation exercises, walking, making lists to stay organized, having time to 'regroup' occasionally, getting enough sleep, etc. A lot of it comes down I think to general self care. And of course, look after the recovery side of things.