Notices

2 weeks sober and having uncontrolable sweet cravings

Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober and having uncontrolable sweet cravings

I have been sober for 2 weeks today and have found myself extremely tired and hungry. Particularly for sweets. Does anyone know when this might end?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the sweets thing hits us all.. your body is looking for a replacement for the sugar you usually get from alcohol. sweets is a better alternative then drinking.

my advice. stay sober and enjoy some ice cream
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
orangutan

I am at day 55 and still eating ice cream and chocolate like there is no tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That happened to me, too. I am on day 32, and I still have intense cravings for sweet things and pretty much any other food which is awful for your health. They are diminishing gradually at this point, but I have definitely been indulging lately in the junkfood department.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking

I've been sober a long time. I firmly believe it has been my purchases that have made Ben & Jerry's the ice cream compay they are today!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As you can see this is very common. I too have eaten a lot of ice cream, and while not the best choice health-wise, it is infibitely better than booze. Plus, I'll never be arrested for "driving while fat".
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1 word, Twix!

I am getting better at controling over eating sweets but still like my chocolate, i used to love chocolate bars when i was young, and the caramel sundays from McDonalds were my favorite but drinking kept me from enjoying them for years.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cadbury's!!!!!
Chocolate digestive "biscuits" (cookies for you Americans)
Cadbury's "Purple Snack bars"
Moist Chocolate cake
Yes, Twix!
Peanuts, salty ones
KitKat
Walnut Whip (invented by 2 men near here)
Chips and mushy peas
chips and curry
That is French Fries to Americans
And of course, Mr Kipling's French Fancies
Wash everything down with coffee and tea!

Sorry, what was the question again?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess we are becoming a fat sober bunch of alcoholics. Sure beats drinking tho.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome! 2 weeks is awesome! I would go easy on yourself regarding the sweets. Quitting drinking for us alcoholics is tough enough without depriving our bodies of what they may be asking for. I too had a huge craving for sweets early on. Typically I don't anymore. I also slept a ton - like 15 hours per day - and now I don't.

We have to get "over the hump" if you will. Our bodies will even themselves out as we go on. Just try and focus on the positive things you are doing. It's not easy - but very rewarding.

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whilst it's common knowledge that normal chocolate bars are unhealthy, not a lot of people are aware of the fact that certain types of chocolate, in moderation, are healthy. Look for 70% cocoa content - it's healthy and you are less likely to scoff down large amounts of dark chocolate compared to milk chocolate.

How to Get Dark Chocolate Benefits | eHow.com

Here's a healthy recipe for chocolate coconut cookies. I haven't tried them but they look good (and if you have to bake them, you're more likely to use them as a treat as opposed to a comfort food):

Paleo Treats: Chocolate Coconut Cookies | freefit guy
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome fellow Sugar baby!!

I still love my chocolate and candy and I've been sober 16 months....it's not as strong now...but definetely still there!!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love those yogurts with grains in them... I can't remember the exact brand but I can find out if anyone's interested. They're really creamy and tasty. I probably still consume too much sugar but now I try to make healthier sugar choices.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

Oh yeah, I've had a sweet tooth from hell! Just yesterday I chugged down a 6 pk of soda, ate 3 ice cream bars, 3 different candy bars and drank a ton of chocolate milk.

Needless to say I was dragging ass for the rest of the day after that.

But between that or drinking myself stupid and feeling like crap the whole next day, I'll settle for the snickers for the time being.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sweet lover here, too. Never was before.

I'm big on frozen yogurt soft-serve with dark chocolate chips. I guess that's somewhat healthy....still better than booze.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's been a little over 5 years for me and I still love sweets. I temper it with a good workout. I also make my own sweets. No store bought cookies or cakes enter this house (except for birthdays). I put my hard work and sweat into good cookies, quick breads, and cakes and we still enjoy those things. It's a trade off, but one that I feel good about. I even made oreos from scratch. They were a hit! A simple recipe and not like the store bought ones but delicious just the same.

Ice cream is a once a month trip to Baskin Robbins where we go all out. Occasionally I will bring home ice cream bars that are a very small serving.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
Cadbury's!!!!!
Chocolate digestive "biscuits" (cookies for you Americans)
Cadbury's "Purple Snack bars"
Moist Chocolate cake
Yes, Twix!
Peanuts, salty ones
KitKat
Walnut Whip (invented by 2 men near here)
Chips and mushy peas
chips and curry
That is French Fries to Americans
And of course, Mr Kipling's French Fancies
Wash everything down with coffee and tea!

Sorry, what was the question again?
What is walnut whip? If walnuts over there and over here are the same I want to try it.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Oh, walnut whip Mmmmmmmmmm

Is a pyramid shape of piped chocolate (think ice-cream on a cone shape), filled with vanilla (or coffee if you can get it, my fave) flavour cream, topped with a walnut half. When I was small (all those years ago...) there was a 2nd walnut INSIDE, dunno why they stopped that.

OH NOW I WANT CHOCOLATE

I'm trying to lose weight before holiday. Should NOT have read this thread!!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Guess its kind of confirmed in the thread here , a lot of alcoholic crave sweets but be aware , alcohol use , over long periods of time and sufficient quantity messes your blood sugar regulation up in most people. It takes a long time to get normal if it ever does. I do have to say I can't resist sometimes ....ice cream in particular!

I just had a 2 hour fasting/challenge glucose tolerance test ( fasting GGT) as I'd like to be aware if I am diabetic or even hypoglycemic...neither being a good thing.

I seem to be fine for now but diabetes runs in our family so I have to watch it. If it runs in yours , best be aware.

So far so good and my liver results show my paranoia is in full swing on a binge...imaging all sorts of of nasty stuff.....well the results show all normal levels across the board. So one less thing to worry about

Now off to the freezer *smile*
Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Hmmm, let's see.

Fruits are coming into season most places.
Nuts, cashews, pistachios, pecans.
Carrots have a natural sweetness, you can even find washed and bagged peas, good stuff!