SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I am one day sober... But I feel so sick. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/218504-i-am-one-day-sober-but-i-feel-so-sick.html)

missmycology 01-24-2011 05:08 AM

I am one day sober... But I feel so sick.

Hello everyone my name is Jennifer and I am definetly with no doubt in my mind an alcholic.

My last drink was early in the afternoon of yesterday... A long Island Iced Tea.... The day before that I drank One of those.... A glass of wine... And about 4 shots. The day before that was nearly a liter of rum.

My daily intake mostly for the past few months was a liter of vodka a day. I have cut back a little during those times. Some days better then others all depending my circumstance.

I am a 25 year old female I weigh 130 I am athletic and I am 5'4 a girl my size should not drink the way. I have been drinking for a little more then a year if you put the months together.

I have had an on going problem with drinking since I was 13. It did not get bad until I was 18. That's when I got a fake I.D. ....

Right now I am in a struggle to get sober. I want ot drink so badly. And I feel sick. I want to drink to make the sickness go away. I know its not a hang over. They feel different. And considering the amount I drank yesterday was practically nothing to my tolerance that just proves my theroy correct.

So I did some research... My hot sweats and sickness are due to withdrawl. I have the littlest bit of that rum left I drank a few days ago. And I know if I drink I won't feel sick anymore... But that temptation to go get more will eat away at me all day.... I feel so troubled right now.

BobGT 01-24-2011 05:20 AM

Hi Jennifer! If you feel really bad you should see your doctor or even go to the emergency room. Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous. But there are better times coming, you CAN do it!

And welcome to SR!

Anna 01-24-2011 05:23 AM

Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and it's always good to talk to your dr.

I would not keep alcohol in the house. In fact, I still don't keep alcohol in the house, ever.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.

least 01-24-2011 05:31 AM

Welcome to the family.:hug: Whatever you do, don't drink. If you're feeling very badly do get medical attention. If you drink you'll just have to start all over. I relapsed a lot, too much, before I finally quit, and each time I quit again the withdrawals were worse. Don't put yourself thru that hell over and over. Quit once and be done with it. Physical w/d usually only lasts a few days to a week, after that some support is in order to stay sober. Lots of us here are staying sober using only this site. I see an addiction counselor once a week and she's very helpful.:)

I find SR to be wonderful support any time of the day or night.:) We're all rooting for you to be successful, so post your thoughts and questions and we'll do our best to help you out.:hug:

LexieCat 01-24-2011 05:34 AM

Hi, and welcome!

That's a lot of booze you were taking in, for a small woman. I suggest you call your doctor and get some help with the detox. It CAN be very, very dangerous, or merely very, very uncomfortable, and there's no way to know for sure, in advance, which it will be.

AWOL 01-24-2011 05:38 AM

Welcome to SR, Jennifer
You have taken a very important step, but please don't hesitate to call a doctor as soon as possible. If necessary, ask someone you know to take you to a doctor, who will help ease your withdrawal symptoms.

missmycology 01-24-2011 05:39 AM

Omg thank you so much for your post. I am finding so much support here I am going to be using this site day and night. I did go to the hospital a few weeks ago. But all they did was make me wait till I was of legal limit and gave 50 mg of librium and the boot!! Well with some papers of places I could go but all I wanted to do was go home and sleep after that cold experience... I do not have my insurance in fact it never came in the mail. So I have to call DSS today. I have some things going on where I can not afford to go into rehab just yet. Court and such over visitations of my child. I never used around her but I did give my father and step mother custody. Since May I have been in a struggle for soberity. I made for two months! I was so proud.... Anyway back onto the subj. Since may I have been seeing my daughter through my mother to seee my daughter she has legal visitation rights. And I legally can see my daughter whenever my father or my mother has the time. And now since I have been in my daughters life on a weekly basis VS. Every few months.... My father is trying ot change that. I've been in my child life more then he has been in mine at that age. Gr. Anywho...

I am very glad I found and joined this site I have been reading things off of it for quite sometime but I finally joined. And I am really glad I did thank you for the support!

Kmber2010 01-24-2011 05:40 AM

Miss welcome and glad you are here...you have our support.

I also agree that checking in with the Dr. is a good idea. Withdrawals are difficult but you can get sober and learn to live a good life in sobriety.

Definitely toss the bottle and keep reading. There is much info here on support and loads of experience.

Looking forward to the journey.

missmycology 01-24-2011 05:55 AM

:tyou I am trying my best. I just made a phone call to get my insurance information. So hopefully that will go well. I am def. getting into detox soon. For now I will just keep on truckin'. I can get through this. I am taking steps to detox. I have been taking the loswest dose of Xanax every 8 hours. So I should be alright. And I did one shot... shamefully to say. But I do not feel sick anymore. So I just gotta keep control over myself. And get into detox as soon as I get through Thurs. I have to take care of something then and as soon as I do I can try to find some detox program that takes mediciad or doesnt. Either way I will find something.

eddie73 01-24-2011 06:03 AM

Hi there. One day sober is very early to be feeling the benefits of sobriety. You will only start to feel human again after about a week having drank as much as you have.

I would recommend that you get involved in AA or a support group that you can share your good and bad times to come with. That is the reality. You will have good and bad times, although they will be manageable should u remain sober.

Good luck!!

ReadyAndAble 01-24-2011 06:40 AM

Welcome! You've already gotten some great advice, so I'll just throw in that I gave been on SR morning and night since my Day 1, now more than five weeks ago. Keep reading and posting!

ru12 01-24-2011 06:52 AM

Hi Ms. Fungi,

You should really try to see a Dr. Not only can they make your withdrawal safe, the meds they give you will make you much more comfortable. And that may keep you from drinking to alleviate your symptoms. You have had a very high intake of ethanol for quite a while, don't mess around with this.

joboo 01-24-2011 06:56 AM

Missmycology

Hey, I just wanted to let you know I'm right there with you. Drank yesterday, feel awful today. Last week I went three days without drink and felt awful but the storm started to clear and then boom - I drank right again. I'm going to see my doctor tonight. Hang in there!! Anyway, I know this sounds weird but it helps me to know that others like yourself are going through this too - although I wouldn't wish this upon anyone! I think you should definitely just go to the ER if you start feeling really bad regardless of insurance - those are issues you can grapple with later in a better state of mind. They can't turn you away.

When you get through this storm and things start to feel better don't let that thinking start again. This is where I messed up. The ugliest part of this crap starts after the withdrawal. Again, hang in there, we can make it!

artsoul 01-24-2011 06:56 AM

Welcome Jennifer! Glad you're making a decision to get off the merry-go-round of drinking. Get all the support and help you can- none of us can do this all by ourselves.

I was glued to this forum the first few days and it really helped get me through the cravings, which were constant for a couple days. I had to take it minute by minute. It really does get better (or none of us would make it!). Trust the process and keep reading and posting. We're here for ya!!:grouphug:

newby1961 01-24-2011 07:04 AM

Hey there welcome to SR and to living a new way of life. It soundslike you have been through this before if you were sober for 2 months before. I urge you not to play Dr by taking pills and drinking you are really just putting off the pain of detoxing. Have you ever been to AA some people have found this helpful I know I have. Hang in there and if I was you I would get into detox ASAP. Keep the Faith you can do it. :a122:

Dee74 01-24-2011 02:23 PM

Hi Jennifer

Good advice about the Dr. It's really important you don't underestimate alcohol withdrawal.

Good advice too about hanging out here instead of drinking etc. Support is really important. This place has saved my bacon a few times.

Welcome aboard Jennifer :)

D

DerpDerp 01-24-2011 02:37 PM

That sounds like a lot of alcohol for me and im around your age, 6'3" and 270! Just do whatever you can to not relapse! Least is right, it will get worse every time! Crawl yourself to the ER before you take that drink.

I hope you feel better and make sure to drink plenty of water during this if your going to try and bare through it. I was lucky to only experience 3 nights of restlessness, some night sweats, and a racing mind that just wouldn't shut up! lol. I am a week in sobriety and feel great! I'm still in that puppy love stage where a drink still feels like 0.0 fun.

D

rfmcg66 04-26-2011 12:50 PM

Can TOTALLY relate

Today is day 1 for me as well (4-26-11). I've stopped cold turkey dozens of time because I've been back and forth, trying to get sober since 95. I am in so much despair right now because I cant believe I'm at the starting gate once again. It will take me 3 or 4 days to get the booze out of my system and at least as many sleepless nights. I tend to be wired when detoxing, and although exhausted, cannot sleep. I also have that cold clammy feeling and alternate between being chilled or too warm. I cant seem to strike a balance. Also, it can be hard to eat. I drink protein shakes to get calories in me and also sip on beef broth thruout the day. For me, I crave salty foods like nuts and popcorn, not sweets when de-toxing. Another thing that helps me is to drink lots of water and juice, especially when im craving. Right now, im so sick of myself and my trashed life that i tell myself that Im willing to to whatever it takes to start getting well but I know that as evening approaches the temptation to drink will come upon me. As bad as I feel right now, I know that a few drinks will get me feeling "normal" but Ill keep going till I blackout and then passout again. What has also helped me in the past is to go to many AA mtgs per day starting day 1. Im so tired of walking into AA mtgs and saying Im on day 1 but for me the only other option is to go on drinking till I kill someone and end up in prison or die. Not great alternatives.

pocketpanda 04-26-2011 01:04 PM

I'm glad you're here. I was Day One yesterday and received the same very good advice about seeing a Dr. for withdrawal. Like you, I took one .5mg xanax equivalent yesterday and it did help.

While I'm also not sure I can start TODAY, I'm right with you making the decision to detox as soon as possible. I'll be watching out for you on the boards. Read and post often.

Missy7 04-26-2011 02:26 PM

I love seeing that you got help right away on SR. And there are people here who know a lot more than me. But I can tell you that i used to drink to very serious hangovers--muscle aches, heart pounding, a headache that felt like a stroke. I don't know when to decide to get medical help--but you need to get ready to make that call.

BUT, if I was sick right now and it was related to drinking yesterday, I would drink V-8. It feels good on your stomach, it's good food, and it is a little salty. I don't think it can hurt and I've been astounded at how much it would help.

In fact, after a night out, my husband would just bring me a glass without asking. My husband, the normal drinker who didn't want to die the next day.

Hang in there. Keep posting. Just going through these forums will be important.