Notices

Getting desperate, I need sleep!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting desperate, I need sleep!

Hey all, I am 7 days clean from Roxicets and 4 days off of Suboxone. This has been the LONGEST week of my life! I haven't slept more than 4 hours and I'm starting to get desperate... I've tried Melatonin, SleepyTime Tea, hot showers, you name it but nothing seems to work. On top of not sleeping, I seem to have a pain in my chest whenever I walk, or go to work, my heart starts beating super fast and I can't take this much longer... My parents have already hidden the shotgun we keep in the house cause, right now, I am REALLY starting to believe that this will never end. I abused Roxicets for about a year, I was doing anywhere from 4-5 15mg tabs a day, to 3-4 30mg tabs a day and when I ran out, I would just take Suboxone. I will NEVER touch another pill ever again as long as I live! Also, my sex drive seems to be totally gone? My girlfriend is starting to think that it's her but I keep telling her it's not. I really could use some help...
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Insomniac

Welcome

Insomnia is pretty common with the withdrawal experience - but if you're that strung out maybe it's really best to see your Dr if you haven't already?

D
Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Insomniac

Welcome

Insomnia is pretty common with the withdrawal experience - but if you're that strung out maybe it's really best to see your Dr if you haven't already?

D
Thanks D. I'm really starting to consider seeing my doctor. Before I abused painkillers, I was a deep sleeper (9-10 hours of sleep a night) and I really, really miss sleeping :* ( The thing is... I really don't want any pills to help me sleep. I also kicked a Xanax habit this month as well and it was the worst W/D I've EVER experienced. That, and coming off the Opiates has really left my mind a big pile of mush.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

your sleep will return in time, as hard as it sounds you have to just ride it out. When I came of a lot of benzos I didn't sleep a wink for 8 days, then started getting 30 -60 mins here and there, it took about 3 months to get bad to a "normal" sleep routine. Still now at 5.5 months out, I wake up 3-4 times a night but still it is sleep.

The things that have helped me have been:

1: go to bed and get up at the same time everyday, whether I slept or not.

2: no tv or computer for 2 hours before bed

3: lights off at night, leave curtains open as it gets dark outside, the fading lite triggers the production of melatonin which makes you sleep. Failing this yellow lens glasses at night, it blocks the blue light frequencies that keep you awake.

4: no food at least 3 hours before bed, no drink for 2 hours. The only exception to this rule is that I will eat a bit of real cheddar cheese an hour before getting in bed, it contains tryptophan, a chemical precursor to serotonin which converts to melatonin which makes you sleep.

5: use the bed only for sleeping, no reading, internet, or anything else, if I can't sleep within 30 mins I get out of bed and try again a bit later.

6: make sure the bedroom is clean, tidy and cool, also shut out all light sources, including digital clocks, standby lights, etc.

7: a white noise generator or environmental recording helps me to focus on something to drift off, there are many free ones available online, failing that a floor fan works.

8: a bath an hour before bed helps some people relax their muscles and promotes sleep.

Anyway, these are just some of the practical things I have done to help get my sleep back on track. I know how awful not sleeping is, it played havoc with me for a long time. Perhaps some of these techniques will help you.

The main thing I think is not to worry too much, I know it's easy said than done, but you will get you sleep back eventually. No need to do anything crazy even though it feels like it will never end. It does end, just takes too long and is incredibly difficult.

In addition to the above I found that accepting it as being a temporary major annoyance that I can't do much about helped me to deal with the worry/fear side of it.

Hang in there, one day it will all be just a bad memory.

MHH
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Insomniac32 View Post
I also kicked a Xanax habit this month as well and it was the worst W/D I've EVER experienced. That, and coming off the Opiates has really left my mind a big pile of mush.
Hi again,

I saw this after I posted my last message.

I came off a lot of xanax, which is what caused my sleep problems.

I am not diagnosing you nor telling you what is what but a well know symptom of benzo (xanax) withdrawal is insomnia, it is acknowledged to go away on its own after a while. A doctor might prescribe what is known as a Z - drug for sleep, which is basically the same as a benzo.

Again, this is common knowledge not speculation. I was offered those Z drugs and more benzos to deal with the sleep issue, I refused them all and my sleep returned.

You may wish to look at the Ashton manual to get an idea of the timelines and symptoms invloved in benzo withdrawal:

benzo.org.uk : Benzodiazepines: How They Work & How to Withdraw, Prof C H Ashton DM, FRCP, 2002

Insomnia section:

benzo.org.uk : Benzodiazepines: How They Work & How to Withdraw, Prof C H Ashton DM, FRCP, 2002

Hang in, it gets better!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post
Hi,

your sleep will return in time, as hard as it sounds you have to just ride it out. When I came of a lot of benzos I didn't sleep a wink for 8 days, then started getting 30 -60 mins here and there, it took about 3 months to get bad to a "normal" sleep routine. Still now at 5.5 months out, I wake up 3-4 times a night but still it is sleep.

The things that have helped me have been:

1: go to bed and get up at the same time everyday, whether I slept or not.

2: no tv or computer for 2 hours before bed

3: lights off at night, leave curtains open as it gets dark outside, the fading lite triggers the production of melatonin which makes you sleep. Failing this yellow lens glasses at night, it blocks the blue light frequencies that keep you awake.

4: no food at least 3 hours before bed, no drink for 2 hours. The only exception to this rule is that I will eat a bit of real cheddar cheese an hour before getting in bed, it contains tryptophan, a chemical precursor to serotonin which converts to melatonin which makes you sleep.

5: use the bed only for sleeping, no reading, internet, or anything else, if I can't sleep within 30 mins I get out of bed and try again a bit later.

6: make sure the bedroom is clean, tidy and cool, also shut out all light sources, including digital clocks, standby lights, etc.

7: a white noise generator or environmental recording helps me to focus on something to drift off, there are many free ones available online, failing that a floor fan works.

8: a bath an hour before bed helps some people relax their muscles and promotes sleep.

Anyway, these are just some of the practical things I have done to help get my sleep back on track. I know how awful not sleeping is, it played havoc with me for a long time. Perhaps some of these techniques will help you.

The main thing I think is not to worry too much, I know it's easy said than done, but you will get you sleep back eventually. No need to do anything crazy even though it feels like it will never end. It does end, just takes too long and is incredibly difficult.

In addition to the above I found that accepting it as being a temporary major annoyance that I can't do much about helped me to deal with the worry/fear side of it.

Hang in there, one day it will all be just a bad memory.

MHH
Thanks for the tips! I will def try a couple out. I really hope I can get at least an hour of sleep today.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Insomniac, I've always had trouble sleeping, it was kind of what helped along my alcoholism, since I would regularly drink myself to sleep. I found a site, insomnia cures, and there is some excellent advise there for natural cures and various things you can do to help. I got some sort of sleep CD program from there and it truly helped me when I first quit boozing.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

A doctor might recommend or prescribe a lot of things Insomniac.
None of us here, or anywhere on the internet, can or should diagnose you, or preempt the treatments you may discuss.

In the end whatever treatment you decide to undergo (or not undergo) is up to you, so it's best to consider all the options - and that includes consulting a reliable professional source...heck, get a second opinion if you like

I hope you find a solution - good luck
D
Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Throw in a little vigorous exercise with what some of the others have said, walking, swimming, running, bicycling, anything that will get your heart rate up a bit and make you sweat. I find this and a healthy diet critical to staying clean and sober and more so sane.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

while lying in bed, close your eyes and try to list 5 good things about yourself. The first time I tried this it worked.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive recommendations, guys. Well, I slept for maybe 2 hours, I think... I can't even tell if I sleep anymore. I had a couple dreams, so I guess I was sleeping but it def wasn't a deep sleep or anything. Tomorrow will be 8 days clean from Roxicets, and 5 days off of Suboxone. I really hope this starts to get better....
Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One problem I have with falling asleep (without alcohol) is what I call my "pinball machine brain". It's like thoughts are racing around so fast and randomly my brain feels like a pinball machine. I download books on tape and listen to them while trying to fall asleep. It gives me something to focus on other than all the awful, racing thoughts in my head. I like Frank McCourt's books best. His soft, lilting Irish rogue is very soothing to me.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This worked for me when I was coming down from "go-fast". Strech out, lie down. CLOSE YOUR EYES ( lets your brain rest), And let your thoughts roam free- don't concenrate & think about anything. An hour or two of this should help you out somewhat.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I'm currently 9 days off of Roxies and 6 days off of Suboxone and feeling MUCH better! Still haven't slept much but it's somehow okay now. Most of my W/D symptoms have gone away with the help of lots of water and multi-vitamins. If I can do this, ANYONE can! Thanks for all the help guys! Couldn't of gotten through it without you.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Insomniac. I don't have any personal experience with pill withdrawals, but I know how horrible it is to not be able to sleep. I suffer from a medical condition that sometimes keeps me up at night; a couple weeks ago I slept only 2 nights out of a 7-day span. And I know what you're saying about not being able to tell if you were asleep; you don't reach a deep sleep, but you're having dreams. It's a really weird feeling.

Great job staying off the pills, and I hope your sleep returns soon.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks soooo much, Snarf! I managed to get like 6 hours of decent sleep last night. I feel a little better. Thank you everyone for helping me through this rough time.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I heard somewhere that you can get 70% of your necessary rest by laying down, even if you don't fall asleep. Try a hot pad. They sell them at Walmart, Target, Kmart and it is like sleeping in a sunbeam. Any time I cannot sleep, I just turn mine on and I am alseep in 20 minutes.