Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newbie

Up untill about 2 hours ago I was 54 hours into cold turkey withdrawal from oxycodone and vicoden. After reading some of the post, I didn't have as severe symptoms as others have posted, very little diarrhea, no stomach cramping, was able to sleep with the use of Lorazepam & Flexeril. Ran out of the latter two and found my anxiety going through the roof! After enduring 54 hours I gave in and took 2 vicoden and then an hour later one more (5/325). Did I just set myself up to have to go through the first 54 hours again??? I don't know some of you do it? I wish there was a magic answer, something to keep me going instead of giving in. I have kids and a husband who have NO idea I'm trying to do this and all I want to do is break down or do myself in (which I won't cause I can't do that to my kids, but am thinking about it). How do I get through this? How did you get through this?
Desperately seeking serenity. Think I'll read my 12 step book as I've had to kick cocaine and have 7 years clean of that.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Catt. I have no experience with this..Alcohol is my DOC. Hopefully others will come along soon.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Withdrawal is horrible, you can get medical support to help you through it, and there are tips and tricks in the recovering community, but it just isn't pleasant.

People do it because the other option is to continue to use, and know that in the long-term the pain is going to add up to much, much worse than withdrawal. And withdrawals get worse and worse over time.

Withdrawal is built up over a long period of time and lots and lots of drugs. Using will prolong withdrawal but it's not going to "reset" it so to speak. There's no way to predict exactly how long it will last but most people are fairly average.

You're getting medical support for this I hope?

Take care, it's blue on the other side.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Catt - I'm sorry you're not doing well right now. Everyone here will recommend that you get some medical help with withdrawals (better to be safe than sorry). Is there any way you can let your husband know what you're going through. Please go to the ER if you can't handle it or feel really suicidal. You can get through this - I just hope you ask for help if you need it.

There's a special section on this forum for people with substance abuse issues, too. You should check it out.

Hang in there.:ghug3
Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope that you will get medical help too.

I am glad that you are seeking support.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR.
I always advise everybody to look for professional medical support and advise, Catt.

If you're a 12 stepper, plugging yourself back into that support can't hurt either IMO

You'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would like to thank everyone for your responses, this morning I woke up in a pool of sweat, at least I can say I slept. I'm really shaky and feel weak, but My spirits are much better and not as depressed. I wish I could get medical help, don't have the money to go to Doctor or even the funds to buy prescriptions for withdrawal medications my choices are slim. No money to buy pills which is a good thing, so relying on trying to kick with not much support. Not going to tell my husband at this time, as we both have battled addiction for years (he has 8 years sobriety) I ended up on this addiction after two major reconstructive surgeries on both feet and legs. Have bad disc in lower back, doc will keep prescribing me pain meds, but I'm ready to get off of them. All past attempts have been futile. Anyway since I'm in a better mood today I'm going to try and get some much needed house work done before withdrawal symptoms kick in strong again, which I'm sure they will.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Catt! Good to see your update and know you have our support here.

Like others I also suggest seeking professional guidance here. What I would also urge is to get to a meeting. I found having face to face support was quite beneficial in my recovery.

Seems like you have been through quite a bit as many here have. Using your past recovery experience to motivate you here.....you can definitely do this.

Keep it going!