Notices

Feeling hungover

Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling hungover

hey all, its my day 23 today.
after the initial detox i was feeling really good, now for the last couple of days ive been waking up feeling hungover. headaches, nauseous, tired, general anxiety. boooo.
actually kinda makes me remember what it was like when i was drinking and how much it sucked lol
anyways, its really annoying, could this be a 'second' detox maybe?
ive read the paws link, but not too sure if thats what it is. did anyone else get like this too?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 23 V28, thats Brilliant! I felt great from day One and still do, maybe others can help but I know for certain that I aint going back to feeling Low and Tired! xx
Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Vanilla,

Seems to lie within reason, though everyone is different.

I'm on day 11 and tired, dizzy and nausea comes and goes... Not sure if it's because I worked out a lot this weekend (5 hours total vigorous outdoor cycling) though.

One thing that's baffling is that I'm constantly thirsty and am drinking about 3-4 litres of water a day whether or not I work out on a given day. Is this normal?!

That's on top of really quality nutrition and supplements, too. I can't wait to be where you are. Last time I detoxed a few months ago, I didn't really feel really clean until the third week.

Hang in there! You're doing great!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was wondering the same thing recently. Finally, my body is getting used to eating regular meals so I eat on schedule and snack to avoid getting the shakes. My metalobism is finally smoothing out since I'm taking in real calories.

A couple days ago I was just irritated and didn't know why. And then while driving to work I had that sense of 'dread' and couldn't explain it. Like something horrible happened somewhere. It left after a few hours, but that caught me off guard. I heard somewhere that our chemical balances take time to sort out to normalcy.

Ugh - can't wait for that day to come!!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i dont think i would mind it so much if i could just stay home and in bed today, nothing like being home in bed on a rainy day lol but i have an appointment in 40minutes that will last for a couple of hours. so i think that might be reving up the dread more than normal. headaches i can handle, but nausea always kills me LOL suppose im still getting my land legs back.

this is the longest ive been sober in a couple years, i too have been working out and taking my vitamins. still havent lost any weight though like i expected to with quitting drinking haha. im a typically impatient person. heh
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey vanilla - thats pretty normal or at least it was for me.

I'm not a dr, but as you, and some of the other guys, are closing in on 30 days this link may make interesting reading...

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

Always check with your doctor tho if you'e concerned.
It's always possible whatever it is may not be recovery related at all

D
Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey dee, i already checked out that article before. was thinking it might be that, but who knows. im feeling alot better now though.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

it came as a shock to me that getting clean & sober didn't mean i was going to feel great all the time.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
it came as a shock to me that getting clean & sober didn't mean i was going to feel great all the time.
that is a tough one right there, I felt like crap saturday morning on MY weekend I was pissed. Mine as well be drunk if I want to feel this way, but if you think your life sucks now, go back to drinking.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Augustwest, I feel the same!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I read somewhere that, with PAWS, you can have a seizure - that's scary, a lady in an AA meeting I was at had had a seizure, when she was withdrawing.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Kelly
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Dee - very interesting.

Now on Day 13 I'd hoped to be firing on all cylinders so I could get some productive work done, instead I've no energy at all...

@LadyLuck - I'm consuming several litres of tea a day at the moment. No idea if this is normal either...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Alot of the stuff I attributed to alcohol withdrawel probably wasn't that at all. I used to be like, oh man I am feeling so sick because I haven't had a beer in a month...then I looked at what I ate and it was 45 bags of skittles
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Forward,

Glad to know that I'm not alone on the thirst front. I'm on a litre of green tea in addition to all the water... At least it's good for us!

Congrats on Day 13! I'm one behind you.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
Alot of the stuff I attributed to alcohol withdrawel probably wasn't that at all. I used to be like, oh man I am feeling so sick because I haven't had a beer in a month...then I looked at what I ate and it was 45 bags of skittles
OMG 45 BAGS OF SKITTLES?! LOL even just thinking about that makes me sick to my stomach!

i dont have a sweet tooth thank god. when i was in detox one of the workers there said i was probably one of the only addicts she has ever heard say that. ha
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
haha i honestly thought it WAS going to be all sunshine and lollipops once i was done the initial dextox. like look at me and how awsome i feel all the time now! lol :brick
Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Chocolate is my downfall, I find giving the Drink the elbow easier and I truly mean that!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kitey View Post
Chocolate is my downfall, I find giving the Drink the elbow easier and I truly mean that!
yeah, im a salty crunchy kinda person. so fries and chips and stuff lol
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

45 bags of skittles? Impressive.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

well they were "fun size" bags of skittles, but they weren't that fun.