SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   6 Days Sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/206962-6-days-sober.html)

wvuwhat 08-12-2010 06:43 PM

6 Days Sober

Hi, not sure anyone noticed, but I've been a member here for awhile, I've relapsed multiple times, but I'm now 6 days sober and have just gotten over my withdrawls.

I spent my 6th day, today, looking at acoustic guitars, because I need a new hobby. And, music runs in the family.

Tomorrow night, I'm going out with my best friends girlfriend and offering her a free DD ride, while my best friend bartends. This is going to be my first test, and my fingers are crossed that I pass.

I would be in AA, but I just have a huge problem with the whole Christianity thing. I grew up in a religious household, but disagree with a few things now, which is keeping me out of AA.

How is homosexuality condemned, but alcoholism has groups?

Chakra 08-12-2010 06:46 PM

Welcome back and congrats on day 6. If you don't like AA, thats ok because as you know, you'll find plenty of support here. But you gotta let us! Post here if you are having a week moment and try not to put yourself in those tough predicaments!

Good luck!

LexieCat 08-12-2010 07:10 PM

Just so you know, AA isn't a Christian program, or even a religious one, in spite of the word "God" in the Steps.

I know plenty of atheists and agnostics in AA. I consider myself agnostic, and I don't have any issues with AA meetings or with the program.

Not trying to sell you something you don't want, but if that's all that's making you reluctant to look into it, it's not something you need to worry about.

lildawg 08-12-2010 07:30 PM

Congrats on the six days sober!

I also second what Lexie said about AA. When I first came to SR, I thought the same thing you did about it--that AA is a Christian recovery program. The more AA literature I read, though, the less I believe this.

I am so glad I have been able to meet folks here at SR who have given me a new view on the program. Anyway, what you choose is up to you. However, if the only thing keeping you out of AA is Christianity (and you really believe you could benefit from AA) . . . . well, I'd hate to see you stay away because of that.

Dee74 08-12-2010 07:38 PM

Welcome back wvu :)

I'm not in AA but I want to make a few points - I have atheist friends in AA, and buddhist (and gay ones) too, so I figure it's not simply 'a christian' thing.

Secondly, if AA's not a good fit, that's absolutely no reason not to look for something that does. There are sticky links in the alcoholism forum for other recovery programmes.

Be careful with that bar thing - I stayed away from bars for a long time. Still rare to find me in one.

D

Mae09 08-12-2010 08:06 PM

I would too stay clear of the bar, it is way too early in the game. At least it is in my case. I find AA a supportive place to make friends and not feel alone, I don't necessarily agree with all the steps either. Reading a lot of recovery books has helped me. Good luck and keep posting.. Yeah six days!

LaFemme 08-12-2010 08:22 PM

Hi wvu and welcome! Congrats on 6 days. There is so muh infi here about many various programs to help you, I hope you take advantage o all the info, and post so that we can support you.

LaFemme 08-12-2010 08:23 PM

Also, not sure where you are, but I'm pretty sure there are lots o groups for homosexuals out there, there's even one on this forum:-D

HReady 08-12-2010 08:49 PM

WVU~Congrat on the 6 days! Good idea on getting a musical hobby.
Loggin here is a good thing.

Anna 08-12-2010 08:51 PM

I agree that you should try whatever it takes for you to get sober. I am not an AA person, but I know that my recovery has to be my priority.

wichitalineman 08-13-2010 01:43 AM

Hey wvu,

Acoustic guitar is a great hobby - it's relaxing, it's creative, and it takes up a lot of time (har har). I think that's a great idea. And speaking just for myself, I don't think I could have hit up any bars at day 6, 7 or 8... or even relatively close to that. I had to duck out. I used music as an excuse/escape - and it totally worked.

I hope you're doing good and stay in touch! :)

wvuwhat 08-13-2010 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by LaFemme (Post 2678434)
Also, not sure where you are, but I'm pretty sure there are lots o groups for homosexuals out there, there's even one on this forum:-D

Thanks for the heads up, I was just touching on one of the problems I have with Christianity, I am, however, not gay.

Thank you everyone for the kind words of support.

Re: the bar thing. I'm seeing this as a challenge, I want to change my lifestyle, but not lose my friends. No, they are not bar flys, they are just going out for the Redskins game tomorrow night, which is understandable. They'll have a beer with dinner and be done, unfortunately, that was a problem for me to do just last week.

Dee74 08-13-2010 04:12 AM

I used to test myself too - I didn't do so well.
I finally figured I didn't have to prove anything..but I did have to make some changes.

I hope it works out for you.
D