Notices

Physical changes since sobriety....

Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Holy cow..I was reading away the thread and somewhere along the line thought.."hey, how come none of these names are familiar to me? Finally, I noticed the thread started in 2010..I was very happy when I saw "Least" and "Quitforme79" in the thread!!!

Well I've noticed I eat a bit like a heifer sometimes and haven't gained a pound...and I suppose mostly it's my brain I feel the difference in. I have more clarity. Thoughts progress to action. I'm no longer going round and round and round living out the same day over and over mentally.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I've noticed many similar things as many before here. And going on a posting spree on SR is definately positive versus going on a bender with the bottle. Actually before I registered on SR and tried to quit alcohol, I used other social networks, on irc and such. Each time there was a relapse or felt crazy I would go on a little rampage of my own and get bans to all kinds of places. That didn't stop me though, I knew how to evade bans, use proxies etc. Posting and venting here really helps, and it reminds how far I've gotten with this.

I've noticed many changes to physical appearance. And as someone mentioned, I no longer look into the mirror with disgust or fright, but can actually appreaciate the reflection. This is entirely new to me as well. The appearance is a lot better. Even I think that I myself look really good, without giving it any thought before. This might be also thanks to exercise, that's one big factor too (and exercise + booze doesn't work).
Other changes have to do with dealing with people or some trivial things. They no longer cause panic and there is a stronger feeling that I can overcome these things easily.

I've also learned to live more in a relaxed manner, even when recovery symptoms do still appear from time to time.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

When I was sober for a month in a half way back in 2011, I lost 25-30 pounds (I was significantly overweight) and felt soo much better physically. I could stand to lose another 20-30 pounds, now but that is not the main goal. If it is a happy side effect I'll take it. I'm on my third day now and just want to feel better mentally and physically. I want to be in control of my life and not depend on alcohol to numb me out. I feel like crap right now actually, but maybe that will change soon? Nah, definitely that will change soon!

have a good one y'all!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Unhappy I haven't seen positive changes yet.

I have been on medication to detox making me very sleepy and irritated, the realization of never drinking again makes me angry. I am on day 5 now. Finally off meds - can't sleep. I swear I'm eating all the time even when I'm not hungry. I swear I've gained 10 pounds. I just feel upset, depressed and like without drinking I won't be able to have fun. I'm a 26 very smart driven young women how has been a functioning alcoholic for years. In the past year I got tired of always living a lie and I went to a rehab, I thought it wasn't directed towards me at all - so I continued to drink a fith a day and no one knew. Great career, boyfriend, family - but it was so much harder for me to do simple tasks than it was for everyone else. So I can clean - I told my family and friends who all thought the 10 day rehab thing wasn't that serious - and I detoxes at home with my bf, and had a seizure on day 3. When to the hospital the whole 9. Terrifying. I didn't drink after that for 2 weeks until I had a bad day and thought a little wouldn't hurt. It eventually evolved into right back to a doth a day and hiding it from the world which isn't an easy thing to do. So I eventually came clean again this time went to the doc for some advice and he prescribed me some pills to help detox . I had another seizure on day 10. While I was driving. Lucky for me each time before I had a seizure and lost my vision I was able to see a colored circle moving in my eye sight so I was able to pull over before I seized. But again. Terrifying. I made it 26 days after that until friends pressures me into just having a few and I did and I was fine but once I get that thought in my head tht I can be normal - I start to sneak more or reward myself for being good by stopping at the liquor store after work so again I was back to a fifth a day. Then my boyfriend broke up with me. I moved all my things toy hometown across state and detoxed again with different medication no seizures - I had a few drinks then a bad night and boom back to where I was. Now I'm on day 6 and I want to feel good, I want to feel strong and empowered by sobriety but I don't and I just get angry and I don't understand why someone like me has to have this problem. I was voted most social in high school now I feel scared to even go out in public or give a presentation at work with confidence without drinking first. How do you find happiness in this. I'm constantly being asked to go have drinks and I'm too ashamed to admit I don't drink so I just don't go. I know this was long. And off topic but its the foray time I've ever expressed my feelings about any of this. I feel like no one knows what I'm going through.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sorry for the typos. (Auto correct - via iPhone)