Notices

Physical changes since sobriety....

Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ok - now I'm pissed - I gained 2 lbs and it's been almost 3 weeks.

But I have to say my hair is nicer - no really it is - not nearly as dry. Oh and I'm sleeping better.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It's only been a couple of weeks, but already I feel so much more relaxed, no more trembling hands, no more deep breaths to control the anxious feelings. On days I can sleep in I actually sleep in, don't wake up too early all anxious and unable to relax.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadLove View Post
Hello everyone. Kind of feel like I've been overdoing the postings (sorry!), but SR obsessing is helping get me through my first week. One thing I've been wondering about is the physical changes you have gone through since you quit drinking. I've read that many people lose weight and have more energy, but are there other shifts in your body/appearance you've experienced? Closing in on day 6, my hands are a little steadier, no abdominal pain, and my body and face don't feel as puffy. I'm hoping my complexion will eventually clear up and be less splotchy.

Thanks! It's hard to remember what my body's natural state is like - unaltered by the effects of alcohol. Also waiting it out as the anxiety decreases....

Abby
I've lost weight without trying (I've even been eating more sweets/fatty stuff, and would like to stop that, but for now I'd rather eat than drink! And I haven't been exercising, which I know will help even more). I feel like my face looks healthier and not bloated, slimmer (my whole body actually). I have wanted to take care of my physical appearance more for the first time in ages-- wearing a bit of makeup, going shopping for new shoes, caring about my clothes, etc.

I am a young, attractive woman but for quite awhile I looked frumpy and a mess, because I just didn't care, on the inside as well as the outside. It's a shame what alcohol does!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have lost about 10 lbs, but it's only been 3 weeks, I hope to lose more. I actually got to the point where a drink made me throw up, so I quit, I figured my body was telling me enough is enough. After 4 days of nondrinking, I got very sick, could not eat, lost my sense of taste, slept for two days, sweated, drank lots of water and ate very little. I believe this was my body detoxing itself. Then I gradually got better and could eat again. I have not had any urge at all to drink again, and I am gratefull.
The advantages are enourmous, I finally sleep normal, no nightmares, sleep is only 8-9 hours instead of 10-12 hours to recover from the booze. My face is thin again, eyes are clear and white, I can remember things easier and suddenly I have more problem solving skills and association patterns come fast. I no longer have long drawn out nightmares when I sleep. I no longer have to wake up and drink water or juice about 5 times a night to hydrate my body because of dehydration caused by alcohol. My body has lost about 5 lbs of water weight, I believe alcholism makes your body retain water. One interesting thing I noticed as well when I first quit, for several days I woke up with the taste of salt in my mouth. I think when I quit my body started getting rid of salt, because salt helps you to retain water. Once the body felt safe enough it started shedding the salt. This is why you gain weight when drinking. I am going to have my BP checked as well next time I go to the doctor, its should go down.
The best thing to remember is this: "What did Alchohol do for you, except make you sick?" The way you feel when you quit is like getting a new life again, the benefits completely outweigh the old tired, sick feeling you had when drinking.
Best wishes to you and a speedy new rejuvenation.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I wanted to add a few more things that I feel could help others. I also quit drinking for another reason. I had been drinking and taking pain meds for a pulled tooth. I normally never took pain meds at all, but had to because of the pain. As a result, I got severely constipated for a week! Nothing helped, not prune juice, not laxatives, nothing, so I went to have a colonic - new to me and intimidating but I was at my wits end. I went, it did not do anything for me, nothing came out. I was mortified. The lady I went to see was a nutritionist and she spent 3 hours talking to me about diet, lifestyle etc. This was the best $75 doctortype visit I had ever spent, and she was not a doctor, she was better then a doctor, she told me the truth. She told me to stop drinking. She explained to me that I was so dehydrated from alcohol, that my intestines were dry. She also advised lots of other changes, exercise, lots of water, no sugar, no coffee, and mostly a vegetarian diet. What did I do? I went home and drank a bottle of wine. Stupid. I then proceeded on with my normal bad habits for two days. On day three I got sick and quit and never turned back. Four days later, I went through detox and could not eat, then finally I returned to normal.
My intestines returned to normal after four days and were in fact working better then they have in years. I now go 3-4 times a day, which is normal.
A lot of people believe that the liver is the most important organ for detoxing your body and it does this, but in fact many organs work to clean your body. The most important one is your colon. IT IS the major waste disposal plant of the body. Once it stops working properly, then you have damaged all other organs, because the other organs will get taxed so heavily that they cannot keep up.
The nutritionist showed my photos of colons that were in bad shape and it scared the heck out of me, from prolapsed ones to clogged ones where parts were so mishapened that there was only an opening the size of a pencil.
The next organs that work hard to clean your body are the liver and the kidneys, this is why when we overdrink, we urinate alot and you can get pains in your back, I actually felt pain in upper right side which I think was my gallbladder overworked by a taxed liver. The next organ to eliminate toxins is your lungs, so systemically, it can become the next organ to malfunction after the liver and kidneys. The last organ to suffer is the skin. I think many feel the skin is the first organ that eleminates waste because of sweating when we overdrink, however, it is the last one to get rid of toxins.
So, thats my mini anatomy lesson and I am not an expert, I suggest reading more but in essence that is what I got from researching, others are welcome to correct me if I don't have all the nittygritty facts straight.
However, this helped me, and not pun intended, it was a sobering thought.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The changes have been slower than I wanted but as It took a long time to get into the physical and mental shape I was in by the time I stopped, I figure it's going to take some time to get well again. That said I do look and feel much better than I did two months ago! I crave sugar and have not yet got it in me to do any physical exercise but I'm sure that will change in time.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

On the surface/vanity level I look so much better. Less bloated, clear skin, look younger, lost weight. The weirdest thing is that my teeth are a lot whiter. I used to have these brown streaks on my two front teeth that I assumed were from coffee and smoking but they're gone now. I'm assuming it was from all the red wine I drank.

Internally I have more energy, not as tense and achy. I have been fighting off a cold for a week and a half now and it reminded me of what I felt like when I was drinking and I found it really upsetting.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Okay, at 28 days...

Sleep! Never in my life have I gotten such good sleep!

I'm sure I put on some weight as I was one of those that would probably go days without eating while binging. My appetite is through the roof for the last couple of weeks, craving both salt and sugar at times. I am dosing out on supplements too, they seem to be helping.

My eyes focus much better now... was always 20-20/20-30ish. First week or so after I stopped drinking, I couldn't focus but now, right on!

Much more energy, anxiety has been reduced ten-fold, still have down days but not nearly as bad as when drinking.

No longer reek of alcohol!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Such a great thread!! My sis in law did a double take on me at about 30-35 days and said I looked SO much less bloated in my face and stomach. My skin got kind of bad not too long ago but it was from all the candy I was eating. Now I'm not craving it nearly so much and my skin looks fantastic. I haven't lost any weight to speak of, but I'm not puffy anymore either. Much better digestive habits and no more acid reflux. I sleep like the dead now!! I used to sleep so poorly and I had no idea: I would play with my hair all through the night and drive my poor husband insane with it falling in his face and waking him up all night. Last night he told me he hasn't noticed me do that since I stopped drinking...and he can sleep through the night without hair flying in his face, bonus! So much more energy and mental focus. I've noticed something going on with my vision but never would've made the connection between drinking, go figure! What did drinking NOT affect?! I love sobriety!!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wow! Good going, everyone!

In the last week or so, I've run into 2 different guys who haven't seen me since I was drinking like a lunatic. Both said the exact same thing -- you look amazing! Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

I thought it was so cool that they used the exact same words.

Mainly, I think the difference is I am not bloated, I am actually taking care of myself.

Way to go, everyone!
:ghug3
Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I've started seeing physical changes too!

My eyes are no longer puffy, bloodshot and watery.

My complextion is evening out...no more red, splotchy dry spots

I am doing my hair again, putting on makeup and I even bought some lip gloss!!! I don't feel like a beauty queen but I don't feel like hiding anymore either

I read earlier that my vision would get better and it is true!! I used to have a terrible time driving at night....not anymore! I also got new contacts and thought the doctor messed up my perscription. I could not read at all with my contacts without cheater glasses. Yesterday I was reading a recipe card (Thanksgiving prep) and it hit me...I WAS READING WITH JUST MY CONTACTS IN!! WOW!

This is so amazing and exciting!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey Pommy, that reminds me of a really stupid thing I did once... I actually went to the eye doctor for a vision exam *while I was drunk*! Incredible. This was part of my deep denial about being a "functional alcoholic" -- I thought if I just kept going and doing everything I normally would, then so what if I was drunk?

Well, of course I ended up with a very expensive pair of glasses that is the completely wrong prescription. I have yet to go get the problem remedied, and have been relying on my contacts and old glasses (which now that I'm not drinking, seem to work fine).

Ugh, alcohol. and UGH, ME on alcohol!! (massive eye roll!)
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just finishing week one sober but I can already see some changes:

Hand tremors are noticeably less
Itchy spots on my torso and legs are 80% gone.
More energy.
I always had a good appetite, but now I eat everything I see, so I may have start watching my weight.
I have a sense of calmness, maybe I should check my blood pressure?

Life sober is good.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

After the first two weeks a couple of co-workers asked me what I was doing because I looked so much better and my face was "brighter". No more dark circles and dry skin as I am well hydrated. This Sunday I will be one month in and I physically feel stronger, emotionally less anxious and am sleeping better. The rewards are well worth it!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

This is so incredibly motivating!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My singing voice is much clearer and I don't feel constantly congested and coughing. I sing in my tiny church choir and we need all the help we can get! I don't sweat anymore and I don't worry that I smell like wine.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

My psoriasis has almost completely cleared up!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

after 3 months in rehab and a few more months of meetings, i had 3 different people in town stop me and say things like: "whatever you've been doing you should keep doing it - you look great!"

i learned that paying attention to my physical health was one more manifestation of me loving me. Paid attention to what i was eating. eventually quit tobacco. Exercised "one day at a time" .

16 years have gone by and at age 60 i still lead an incredibly active life [although i pretty much quit rock climbing 4 years ago....] still ski, hike , fish. garden. Still carpenter as a trade.. ok- sometimes it's as a general contractor but i don't let many days go by without being part of the crew.

I really feel like my body has said a big "thank you for no longer abusing me"
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Bump ity bump bump.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Quit 14 months ago. 42
One thing that takes a while to come back, but really is worth the wait is your brain. I can actually remember thing again. In meetings, I sound like I know what I am talking about instead of sitting in the corner waiting for the meeting to end so I could hide away in my cubby for the rest of the day. Now if my wife gives me some numbers, I can calculate them in my head. While drinking I used a calculator. It almost feels like your mind is young again.