Notices

Physical changes since sobriety....

Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Che

After about a week or something I walked in less of a daze. Not really mentally sharper, but just my general balance is back to normal. Superficially I look the same. For me quitting alcohol is a test of my will power to do what I want with my life, so I am okay with all my health issues not magically disappearing. I'm still an anxious, sad kind of person.

I think it's important to not just to quit alcohol, but to do the things alcohol was preventing you from doing. Otherwise you are prone to relapse when you don't see your life changing/improving.

I'm glad to hear so many of you are experiencing improved health, though I hope it encourages you to make use of it.

My biggest concern my is being bored because I use to drink during downtimes and now those times are sober and there is nothing to fill the void.
People always tell me they're bored, I always say there's not enough time Start some creative projects and you'll find the same. If it needs to be relaxing and low-effort, painting could be very good for you. If you don't mind a think, writing short stories is also very time consuming.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

After my first week, my face looked like i lost 20 pounds. One of my best friends remarked as soon as he saw me that i must have quit drinking. I drank so much beer my face looked like a big, bloated tomato. I only lost about 8 pounds so far. i am eating more, drinking lots of non-alcohlic liquids and feeling more energy. Sleep still isn't great but I have a lot more energy in the morning. The changes are slow but positive. No more heartburn and better bowel movements. A big motivator for me is my health.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm also feeling generally more cheerful and outgoing. People have approached me at work to tell me i look less stressed out not even knowing what the changes i am working on.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I experienced the eyesight change thing too. I had to change my prescription. My Dr says its because I was dehydrated all the time from the alcohol and now my body is in more of an equilibrium in that respect. This happened at about 4 months.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

My teenagers noticed first that my eyes became bright and white again. Then the puffiness in my face went away. My skin became hydrated again and quit looking like parchment paper. I've lost 15 lbs so far. (It's been 1 month.) My arms and legs are toning back up and looking a lot less swollen.

My blood work at 10 days sober came back showing abnormal liver enzymes (kinda figured that already) and anemia. I go in 2 days to have the blood work redone to see if an improvement is showing yet. I do recommend if at all possible to see your doctor and have him or her run blood work and any other testing they feel is necessary.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

After just one week and one day, I can see a difference. My face is not puffy, the bags under my eyes have gone, my eyes aren't bloodshot,my lips aren't shrivelled and pruny. I dont keep having hot sweats and a red face, my hands are steady and I've not had any palpitations or woken up with my heart racing!

I've noticed I've eaten quite a bit of chocolate,which is unusual for me as I dont have a sweet tooth. I've been drinking loads of water and my wee isn't brown any more ( sorry, but I just had to share that!)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Its only been one week& one day but already I feel different. i don't think my face is as puffy, my eyes aren't bloodshot and the bags under them seem to have disappeared. My lips are not shrivelled and proony. I've not had any hot sweats or a big red face, no shaking hands and no heartburn.

I've noticed I've eaten quite a lot of chocolate this week which is unusual for me as I dont have a sweet tooth. I've been drinking loads and loads of water and my wee is not brown any more. ( Just had to share that with you!)
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm staying up later but feeling more refreshed in the morning. Normally I'd be out by now.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

So much! Have lost 15 pounds (Day 39 today), face is much thinner, digestion is getting better, a few broken blood vessels on my face became less noticeable/healed; exercise is no longer a trudge; sleep is better (and nightmares are much rarer and less gruesome); I've quit snoring, much to my bf's delight; and the newest amazing development is that I am getting up at 6 a.m. and it's totally easy!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow! All these physical changes are amazing!!!! I know I look like hell from drinking. I am vain about my appearance and so want to look my best. I am approaching 45 and know that I have to quit drinking and get myself back. Thank you for all the inspiration here.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Recovery View Post
I'm staying up later but feeling more refreshed in the morning. Normally I'd be out by now.
I'm with ya on this one. I find myself sitting here til midnight or later and thinking "Man, I should probably go to bed". Usually no matter what time I go to bed I'm up at 7am ready to get the day started.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just by not drinking i've calculated that I save at least 7-10 THOUSAND empty calories per week. I am losing weight easily...I now drink sugar-free herbal lemon tea and seltzer with a splash of fruit juice and lemon. much less calories. my big chocolate and sugar cravings disappeared after about 45 days.

However, my wallet is much FATTER...which contributes to the physical change in my face, I smile a lot more and stress about $$ a lot less!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Today is day three, after reading many of the comments in this thread I am looking forward to my future now. I have been experiencing digestive issues for over a year now. My neighbor informed me to take a look at my alcohol intake, If I wasn't drinking six beers a night it would be a bottle of wine. I have put on 20 lbs in two years, couldn't figure out why. My neighbor is recovering as well, I was looking for additional support. Just want to say thank you to everyone for the support I feel just by reading your posting.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose! Life is so much better sober:-)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

YOU GUYS ARE CRACKING ME UP!!!!!!

Bamboozle: simply put "Better bowel movements."

Archives Drinking turned me into an overweight, puffy, bloodshot-eyed, tired 28 year old who goes into public place disheveled.
Or do I want to continue wearing the one pair of 36' dockers I bought at Target a few months ago, keep wearing them every single day as the only pair of pants that fit even though they have a hole in the crotch?

North : It's extremely gross and admittedly too much information but I took the morning 'beer *****' and accompanying toxic gas for granted or mistakenly attributed it to having eaten some particularly spicy ethnic food like Indian.

Wichita: I am sleeping WAY better than I have in years. I am becoming a bit of a morning person! That's like saying Dracula got a paper route.

FanOfJoe : Oh and I found my ankles again. My legs were so swollen I didn't realize that my cankles were booze related....ROFL.

Fandy: i stopped dry-heaving every morning.

Hope4: I drank so much beer my face looked like a big, bloated tomato.

MyGray: My skin became hydrated again and quit looking like parchment paper.

I love all your blunt and candid responses, you guys made me laugh and boy can I relate to about all of them!!! You made my day!!!

VC
Old 12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I lost about 30 lbs, mostly water weight. More energy and my skin isn't as dry. I feel so much better al around.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Facial Puffiness

I am a week sober today....I was drinking anywhere from 4500 to 6000 red wine calories a week....
I am a longtime daily exerciser and always drank plenty of water ,but in reality folks, when you are drinking too much, there isn't enough water or exercise in this life to keep your body from retaining water ...

There is a DEFINITE DEFINITE difference in my face... So noticeable that I had to post something on here.

I'm at the "being sober sucks" stage, so when I get the urge to open a bottle of wine, I just walk by the mirror and see how happy I am with just the reduction in facial puffines...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

If you feel this well after one week, just think how good you will feel (and look) after 30 days.

Keep strong.

Jim
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have actually gained 10 pounds because I have craving sweets like crazy. Sat I started to work out.. so, it has been good. But, I am not drinking.. so I can work off the 10 pounds!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What amazes me so much is how well I sleep these days. I fall asleep without lying there for hours and sleep like a baby all night (unless the dogs have to go out). As a result, I look better, brighter, not to mention happier. People have noticed and commented on it.