Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Yes it is!

I feel like I've been in limbo lately too, but I agree with you crow, about not drinking being highest on the list. Hopefully we can all get more accomplished today--because if anyone was like me, I didn't do much of anything yesterday. Easy does it, I'll be diving in shortly too
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Gosh, May is a prolific month, there are almost as many Mayflowers here as in my yard! That's great! I do believe it's a good month to start, or to start over. I've started over so many times now...this time feels right and there are enough of you all to really make me feel supported. I feel like I have mine own cheering team, and it certainly helps. I know what to expect, but it's good to be reminded continuously, because I have slipped up in the past continuously probably because I wasn't constantly reminded about what triggers me on and how to deal with it. Self pity is a bad trigger too, I can do that real well, "poor dear had a tough day, deserves a reward." or "I'm an alcoholic, an alcoholic drinks because he's powerless with alcohol,so I cant help myself..." I've got thousands of lines like this more of course. But I've been sober for more than a week now, and I've been reading up, listening to your stories, consciously remembering what I have to do to keep away from that first drink! So thank you much!
Welcome to the new Mayflowers!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Starting day nine! Less anxiety, fewer shakes, but still I kind of decide to drink for a moment at a time every so often. It's weird, but it passes. It's the alky brain having its say every so often, I suppose. No persistent cravings at all though. On to the day!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to say, you guys are doing GREAT

Just think of all the "rewards" of waking up sober today And it will only get better if we get through today because we'll then have another morning just like this one.

Don't forget, though, how we were feeling just a matter of days ago! If you have to, go pig out on some good food tonight, go buy a book on recovery, watch TV, hang out here, or let yourself veg. As Atlas said, EASY DOES IT. Whatever it takes, minute by minute and hour by hour. With each other's support we can do this one more day!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. You have a new may flower here- ready to bloom! (after having been following all of your posts that is - you have given me courage to join in...)

Seems there is so much commonality and knowledge and understanding here, unlike much of the regular world. I prefer this insanity

So thanks for all that you share and I wish everyone the best and much happiness on the journey!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi porkchopped!! Love your name! I'm glad you got up the courage to join us!
I lurked around for a least a month myself before posting. Hope you'll post alot more. It feels so good to talk to people who understand us; I don't know why, but I'm not questioning it today, because I'm sober when I didn't know if I could be.

So.......................
Old 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Welcome to the mayflowers porkchopped

Just made it to day 6 and feeling great, amazingly this time i am having less thoughts about beer. Last tme I tried to quit I couldnt stop thinking about it, I am hoping this stays like this for a while as that was my biggest hurdle last time.

Feeling more awake today, yesterday felt like I was turning into a zombie as my attention span was pretty sort. Also feeling less irritable today, that has been the biggest thing from the withdrawals is that anything seems to annoy you, even the smallest things that don't even matter.

Glad to be part of this group its great for motivation to keep of the alcohol
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey again porkchopped

D
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Alot of new people have joined SR in the past few days, so I want to say to anyone who is getting sober this month to come on over!!

And to all you MayFlowers who may be ready to go into their (flower)beds this evening, sweet dreams. And don't forget to water yourselves with a little TLC. See you all for a sober Thursday!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hi porkchopped, great to see you joining up

Hope everyone had a good day, mine was kind of a bummer ... i got back into town today and immediately got all down on myself. This usually happens after I get back from traveling and is usually a dangerous time when it comes to quitting. This time I stayed on top of everything this first night back but I have had instances where things have fallen apart. I've read a lot of people say that you should remove yourself from all temptation and in a sense get the hell out of dodge if you really want to have the best chances quitting anything. I can definitely see this and agree completely, I have gone on many a trip, vacation, detour, escape where staying sober was no problem, it was when I returned home that things fell back to the same same old same old.

On the other hand though, I have a problem with this idea. Sometimes people can't just get up and leave, maybe they have kids, a job, mortgage, etc, something brings them back and then they have to face up. Tonight I didn't slip back and I guess, because its technically Thursday, I made it through my first day back. I think one of the things that helped is that I didn't wait till I got the hell out of dodge to quit, I faced up to my addiction here, where it lives along side me. I don't think I have ever really done that before.

I hope this continues because the next couple of days are going to be tricky ... today is my birthday and it could be considered a "big one." A new decade and I really hope this one is better than the last and I really hope this last gift I gave myself works out. Blaaagh ....
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno - I think the old adage 'wherever you go - there you are' holds true really.

Certainly some situations and locations made it easier for me to stay sober sometimes but they were all very short term - I don't believe my surroundings had anything to do with me drinking...I had everything to do with me drinking.

I spent a lot of time running away. For me standing up and facing stuff where I was was definitely a growth experience

Happy Birthday Crow

D
Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Sobriety saved my life.

I'm in, wouldn't mind having some company.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Flip

D
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Day 10. I thought about buying a six-pack or two yesterday, but I did not. It's great having the ability to say no to such thoughts. Ten minutes after that interlude I was thinking about other things. So far I'm just ticking off the days: more energy and clarity, less anxiety, fewer fears - it really is all good.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

welcome flip! Thanks artsoul for the positive post. And crow, nicely done! Happy Birthday! I am new and have been posting like a mad hatter... um yeah, sorry. But it has been really helpful in self discovery.
I dunno - I think the old adage 'wherever you go - there you are' holds true really.
Right on D! I think so many addictions stem from an inability to accept oneself. I have to admit that it wasn't until I stopped drinking at events that I realized that I wasn't any funnier or more attractive after one drink or two-most likely the opposite. Removing the substance and becoming comfortable in my own skin has been liberating for me- in the end we all are who we are baggage and all, so we need to just work it to be the best version of ourselves. Not trying to be over-the-top perky-pep-rally-psychobabble-annoying, but cannot help myself?? haha Sorry, but it is now about moving through emotions and problems and not avoiding/delaying/exacerbating them by drinking
I find the word recovery interesting. For me, I don't take the interpretation to mean that I am sick, but a recovery of the best life I can live, which happens to be free (of alcohol and negative emotions).

Have a great day all you Mayflowers!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Welcome Flip Glad you joined us.

Rock on, MayFlowers
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I loved what the Aprillers did and the support they gave/give each other, so I hope some of you who get/got sober in May will join me here. Let's help each other out these first few days/weeks. Perhaps there's a reason we are coming together at this time/place to encourage and be encouraged. So here goes.........................................:grou phug:
Was an Apriller blew it now im a Mayer day 2
Lazyboy
Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome flip and lazyboy!!! Great to have you here! I really love this thread and hope you will too.

Crow -5 Happy Birthday! Congratulations for getting through yesterday sober. You seem to have alot of insight, which is really good. I also found that I drank alot before/after any change in my routine. Of course, when I was drinking almost every day, I barely had enough energy to get through the day, and whenever anything "extra" came up, it would always yank my chain. That led me to want to turn my brain off even more. I really had no idea that once I got rid of the alcohol I would feel so much more in tune and open to life.

Also have to send kudos to Norther for not picking up a 6 pack (we know that wouldn't have been enough anyway!)

Great to read your posts today Draciack, fluxcap and porkchopped. I'm encouraged by you guys and it helps me believe I really, really can do this.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by Lazyboy View Post
Was an Apriller blew it now im a Mayer day 2
Lazyboy
April showers bring MayFlowers, as they say!? We're just glad you're here, Lazyboy. Some people don't come back, you know? Try not to dwell on it and focus on the moment. All any of us have is today, and that is what's important.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Day 14

hey Lazyboy! Welcome back
I remember you giving me encouragement when I first joined:

"Welcome Atlas...I'm new here too.....these folks are the best! Youre going to love it here. Peace,Lazyboy"

We are the best! & we're going to make it through this together--One day at a time.
Thank you!!

8Happy Birthday Crow!!
Glad to see you made it through your bummer evening. I know what you mean. When returning from trips I always feel really alone for some reason--always a past excuse to round everyone up and go out to a bar or what have you. I'm real proud you pulled through, it's definitely anything but easy.

Originally Posted by porkchopped View Post
Right on D! I think so many addictions stem from an inability to accept oneself. I have to admit that it wasn't until I stopped drinking at events that I realized that I wasn't any funnier or more attractive after one drink or two-most likely the opposite. Removing the substance and becoming comfortable in my own skin has been liberating for me- in the end we all are who we are baggage and all, so we need to just work it to be the best version of ourselves.
Couldn't of said it better porkchopped. I'm finally beginning to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Instead of my negative mood swing popping up my positive side is sticking around and I'm finding patience comes more easily. I'm also finding myself smiling a lot & love to see it returned.

Last night was a little hard. I visited a local church & it was great, the service made me feel good. However, afterward a friend of mine had showed interest in doing something that night so I suggested going to the movies (no alcohol there) & after I got out I called him & he was going to the bar. Then I returned a call to another friend & she was also going to a bar...So, I went to the grocery store, bought some food for dinner & GOT to watch a movie with my mom & wake up early today & go walking with her. I feel great today

Flip!! Good place to be, glad you're here!