Notices

Shaking hands

Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Shaking hands

Hi,

I have been drinking for years and have deceided I need to stop this madness. I have noticed that my hands are very shaky 99% of the day and I have real difficulty writing and even signing my name on a check. This has been going on for the past 1-2 years while i was drinking. Will this stop eventually as i get sober? I only Drank NEVER ANY OTHER DRUGS. I'm 48.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Might be withdrawls..that is what it was for me. Do they stop shaking when you take a drink or a few drinks?

I would seek the advice of a medical professional and be honest about your consumption with the doctor.

Alcohol withdrawl can lead to seizures and even be deadly.

Best wishes and congrats on your desire to stop.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

When did you have your last drink? Have you consulted with a DR about detoxing safely from alcohol?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea... they seem to go away after a few drinks some times. I am unemployeed for the last year, so I have no insurance. I am going to try to cleanse myself with exercise and lots of water.

I've quit for day, weeks, and months before w/o any prob - so thats the direction i have to take.

Thanks for your help and concern.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

There is always a "first" time when things might be different--even from before...I mean. Just be safe and don't hesitate to get medical help if needed.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay.... Not harping on you but my experience was that I too stopped for periods without an issue and one day after quitting cold turkey I found myself in an ambulance after having a withdrawal seizure. I don't tell anyone what to do but wanted to share my experience with physical dependency and need for help from doctors some times, even if it is the ER.

I never answered your question, don't know what you got going on, withdrawl or not but my shakes stopped after I quit drinking.

Once again, good on you!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, shaking is a sign of withdrawal. And even if you've quit before with no problems during detox, there is always the possibility of trouble while detoxing. Please be safe. If you have ANY problems please get medical help. Your life may depend on it.

Welcome to SR! :ghug3
Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

l have an alcoholic friend who shakes untill he has "had a few'.
He had to stop drinking for 3 months because he was in hospital and was not allowed to drink.
It took 6 weeks before he stopped shaking.
(he started again later and the shakes are back)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Taurus5000 View Post
Yea... they seem to go away after a few drinks some times. I am unemployeed for the last year, so I have no insurance. I am going to try to cleanse myself with exercise and lots of water.
Do you have anyone with you who can call for an ambulance or get you to the hospital if your symptoms get serious? Detoxing from alcohol can be very serious, sometimes fatal.

As to cleansing yourself, please don't do this. Your body is going to go through a massive shock by eliminating alcohol and adding exercise and lots of water into the mix might just be too much for it. Lots of water will not cleanse you of alcohol any quicker but it will flush out essential salts and electrolytes and this in itself can be fatal in some cases, particularly in a body in a weakened state.

If you want to exercise, go for gentle walks. Drink water, but only sip it as you need it. Try to eat as healthy as possible. Take it easy and let your body heal itself.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

We are not medical professionals and can only offer the advice to go to a dr or to an ER. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

I hope you take care of yourself.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone!

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am listening to everyone..... Yes I do have people around who would notice if i needed help. Wow - 6 weeks before their hands stopped shaking!!! Well, I will just take this one day at a time and reflect back from time to time. I have been going to the gym since the first of the year.

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bbr

I had the shakes pretty bad before I quit drinking. Like you, it was hard to sign my name or do anything requiring fine motor skills. I don't remember how long it took to go away ( I'm about 11 weeks since the last drink), but I think it was about 2 to 3 weeks and it was pretty much gone. Now my signature actually looks like I didn't write it while riding in a car on a bumpy road One of many blessing gained from not drinking.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

My hands shook when I was drinking....you struck a nerve with me when you described shaking while signing your name.

I don't shake At All, now.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tarus -

the smartest thing to do is ask your doc.

I'm sober three+ years, and if I'm rushed
(like at the checkout counter-some rude b*** behind me, you know)
I will shake so badly I can't write.

In 'normal' conditions,
calm with no pressure or not startled
I'm fine.

ps -
I did a non medically supervized detox
and was known far and wide as the 'PAWS posterchild' for a while.

i don't recommend it.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad I'm making the change!

I was sure I brought this on myself. It has been very embarasing and i have been using the excuse as anxiety related.. They are still shaking today. This afternoon I will be 48 hrs sober - And looking forward.

Again, Thanks for eveyones imput!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Can I just add, for all those who report seizures could u also state for how long and how much you were drinking as it's almost always chronic saily drinkers of 5-10 years and it really causes more harm than good for someone who's alcohol problem is far less extensive to read about the
. More often thAn not it will lead to panic attacks.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

We cannot offer or give any kind of medical advice.

As has been stated numerous times, detoxing is unpredictable and potentially dangerous.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was a weekly binger for 20 years and a daily drunk for the 10 years after that. I never had a seizure, but I did have the shakes along with bad panic attacks. The last panic attack landed me in the ER and was what I needed to quit drinking for good. My anxiety, depression. mood swings, etc was ALL caused by the drinking. It only took a few months for everything to start getting back to normal.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Please be careful! What i thought was merely shaky hands turned into me being rushed to the hospital all of a sudden....twice. Please try and make sure you have a plan if things get worse....and get medical help if you need it!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Taurus: I first got sober in the USA and didn't have insurance. I was able to find cheap enough clinics (like the Indian Health Center) to help with my withdrawal. If the doctor prescribes anything, ask him for the generic brands and go to Target- they have a crazy cheap Rx service for generic brands and I was able to get a 3 month supply of my anxiety medication for $10.

See if you can find any cheaper clinics in your area.

Also, get some vitamin B (including Thiamine). It's something doctors usually prescribe for alcoholics getting sober. It'll help with the symptoms, especially with shaking and weakness.