Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What drug has smoke that has a sweet smell to it and it heated on aluminum foil?

Notices

What drug has smoke that has a sweet smell to it and it heated on aluminum foil?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have caught my husband smoking something on aluminum foil, he takes apart pens and uses the tube to smoke it with. The smoke is white and has a sweet smell to it. I can also tell when he has been smoking it because his clothing smells sweet. I can't get him to tell me what it is. He keeps trying to tell me that he is smoking pain pills, percocets......is that possible? His behavior does not change drastically, he has gotten pretty skinny and is moody and very unmotivated. Please give me any ideas you may have.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

can be several things , but the one most do is Meth or herion
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it is really sickly sweet and almost like a liquorice smell, my guess would be heroin. It could be something else though.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This just sounds like something from Jim Carroll's book The Basketball Diaries. Not gonna 'splain it so just Google it. Anyone doing what your h is doing is obviously not doing anything "normal" in my estimation. Smoking pills?! Come on.....

I'm an alkie, not an addict. Still, I just spent a little time searching for answers to what you're asking. It seems most likely that he's smoking meth. Why on aluminum foil I don't know. Perhaps because it's easier to get rid of than it is to hide a pipe. I don't know.

Maybe repost this under the Substance Abuse forum.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sissy

Welcome to SR.

I'm sorry - I have no experience with what you're asking about. I do agree with Anvil tho that it's clear your husband is doing something. That to me matters more than what specific drug it is.

I hope you're looking after yourself here. Being involved with a addict/drug user is often no picnic. I've seen it from the other side.

Please check out our family and friends forums as well. You'll a lot of experience strength
and hope there, and a lot of support and some good advice too.

D
Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would say sounds like he's "chasing the dragon". Smoking Smack in otherwords. Almost certainty with method being used.

Whatever it is it ain't great. I mean does it look like something you'd want your mother to see you doing; smoking vapour off tin foil through a Pen-tube...

If it was pills I doubt you'd smoke em like that.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-06-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: rule#2
Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
I would say sounds like he's "chasing the dragon". Smoking Smack in otherwords. Almost certainty with method being used.

Whatever it is it ain't great. I mean does it look like something you'd want your mother to see you doing; smoking vapour off tin foil through a Pen-tube...

If it was pills I doubt you'd smoke em like that.
I would agree with this...I work with substance misusers in the Uk and this is the most common drug abused in this way over here.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find some support for yourself.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know this is a post from a long time ago, but it probably was pain pills... Most heroin people get and smoke smells slightly bitter and vinegary, nothing compares to the sweet smell of smoking oxy or other pills, and they are normally smoked off of foil in the way you described. A good way to tell what kind of pill he is smoking is to look up the ID number/lettering on the front of the pill if you can get him to show you one before it is broken up or crushed to smoke. And doing pills makes you irritable as all hell.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR aklivin

D
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

probably oxy or percocets. Some kind of opiate would be my guess.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

help

Originally Posted by Stayinfree View Post
I would agree with this...I work with substance misusers in the Uk and this is the most common drug abused in this way over here.

what type of drug is it? chasing the dragon- what is that?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HELP2018 View Post
I've only heard that phrase used among tar heroin smokers. I tried it once and hated it,while my best friend got addicted that same day. He's clean for 7 years now though.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HELP2018 View Post
Used to just mean straight up heroin or in rare cases opium. Now sometimes people use it for morphine or oxy etc. No two ways about it though, not good.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR HELP2018

D
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Lighting tar heroin, opium, morphine, oxy or meth on a sheet of foil, then following the smoke with a straw and then inhaling. Hence, chasing the dragon.

It can also be a metaphor for an addict trying to get the feeling of that very first high, which we all know never happens.

The OP mentioned a sweet smell, which indicates opium or black tar heroin. Although opiates, they are highly refined, so morphine and oxy will just smell like burning pills.

Meth being smoked smells like a cross between a toxic fire at a dump and the New Jersey Turnpike. Lovely, isn't it?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am completely confused here....is this post not from 2010????
Old 10-24-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

someone posted in the thread today as their first post

D