Notices

Opiate Withdrawal - I need help!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate Withdrawal - I need help!

Hey there. Im just starting withdrawal from opiates... been on them for about 5 years. Started with the occasional hydro or 2... then founf myself with chronic back pain. Then I found myself getting prescribed about 120 tab 10s a month. They still wouldnt cut it and i would be all the way through the script in about a week and 1/2. Met a boy who introduced me to Oxys. Would start by snorting them, then shooting them up. I have always dabbled in drugs and always said that I would never shoot up. Well, I did. And I tried Heroin too... it wasnt as great as OCs were. Any ways, I am trying to do this cold turkey and im loosing my mind. Ive been rumaging (sp?) through the house, looking for any money, and then i try and tell myself to stop. But these withdrawals are horrible. The RLS, the back pain from earlier in life, stomach, cravings... I find myself searching for anything and everything I can get my hands on to calm myself... but I dont know how to overcome this. How do I get through withdrawal, without money to go to the dr for suboxone or methadone? Need help, adivce and support. Any one please?????
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

hey man welcome to the site....just a few quick questions for ya. when was the last time you shot up? how much were you using a day? and what is your living situation like? roomate? family members? living alone?

ive detoxed cold turkey from heroin // ocs many a times....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi. thanks for the welcome! The last time I shot up was about 1 week ago, but ive snorted OCs everyday since, and often inbetween. 2 days ago I decided to stop, wanted to scream and this morning I got my hands on a hydro 10. Didnt really do much, but i dont feel AS bad. Today would have been day 3 without 1 single thing and i want to scream!
When I shot up, I would take 1 80 and make it last about 1/2 the day, with a few washes... then get another, etc.... i ended up going into the hospital about 3 weeks ago because of an abscess on my arm... had to stay in the hospital for 4 days and a surgeon had to cut a huge hole out of my arm. Decided to go back to snorting... but you just dont get the rush. .. but you do get the high.
Right now I am living with my husband (well.... highly possible soon to be ex hubby - which happened before my life got way out of control) and he is the type of person that tells me to grit my teeth and deal with it (is that a guy thing??). But he has no clue what this is like... I cant do this alone. He only knows about 1/2 of what im really like and doing. Im scared to tell anyone what i really do and think sometimes. ya know?
p.s. Boca, hu? I grew up outside of West Palm. Go Gators!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

hey,

i'm so glad you are here and posting on this site. that is huge. congrats on trying to get clean, all it takes is some willingness and some effort on your part. first, you really should be talking to your doctor about all this to figure out if you need tapering. you said yourself you cannot detox alone, tell that to your doctor!

also, i really would suggest getting an NA meeting list for around your area and get yourself to some meetings. going to meetings helps reduce the obsession part of my addiction for me, and there you could also meet helpful people and make sober friends. you need as much support as you can get!

please stay in touch. there are a lot of people on this site who can offer you dopesick help, plus come into the chat section for immediate, live assistance!

i never shot oxys but i was doing an 80 everyday (along with copious amounts of other drugs) and the only thing that really helped when i got sick was a warm bath and gatorade.

good luck & stay safe!
Rach
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by 80sOnMyMind View Post
hi. thanks for the welcome! The last time I shot up was about 1 week ago, but ive snorted OCs everyday since, and often inbetween. 2 days ago I decided to stop, wanted to scream and this morning I got my hands on a hydro 10. Didnt really do much, but i dont feel AS bad. Today would have been day 3 without 1 single thing and i want to scream!
When I shot up, I would take 1 80 and make it last about 1/2 the day, with a few washes... then get another, etc.... i ended up going into the hospital about 3 weeks ago because of an abscess on my arm... had to stay in the hospital for 4 days and a surgeon had to cut a huge hole out of my arm. Decided to go back to snorting... but you just dont get the rush. .. but you do get the high.
Right now I am living with my husband (well.... highly possible soon to be ex hubby - which happened before my life got way out of control) and he is the type of person that tells me to grit my teeth and deal with it (is that a guy thing??). But he has no clue what this is like... I cant do this alone. He only knows about 1/2 of what im really like and doing. Im scared to tell anyone what i really do and think sometimes. ya know?
p.s. Boca, hu? I grew up outside of West Palm. Go Gators!
totally understand what your going through. So your doing about 2 80s per day then? while that isnt a small amount its not extremely high either.

I know exactly whta you mean about when other people tell you to just tough it out. My brother and parents used to tell me that constantly and it would get me so angry because there is NO pain measureable(sp?) to that of dopesickness. He doesnt know how you feel at all, nobody does unless they are fellow opiate addicts.

K now down to business... the good thing about OC withdrawal is that it is over in the shortest amount of time. Today still can be techincally day 3 because 1 10mg hydrocodone is like popping a breathmint for people like me and you. It will did not get you high nor even take away all the withdrawal so you haven't started over. the withdrawal always peaked for me at the 3rd night and 4th morning. That was the height and after that, little by little, every hour it got more easier to manage. After about 7 full days I felt completely normal (physically) and was no longer sick at all.

Heres a few tips to help with withdrawal (note nothing will take the withdrawal away but time, or more opiates[which you dont want]

- several hot baths a day. soak in the tub for atleast 30 minutes. This will ease the back and leg aches you get and might even help you fall asleep for 20-30 minutes.

- drink lots of water, hot tea or gatorade. stay away from soda or coffee. they just make the withdrawal worse.

- if you feel like you have to dry heave or throwup (this was my worst symptom in withdrawal) go do it! sure your hips will start aching and throat will burn for 15 minutes or so while its coming up but afterwards you will feel MUCH better. fighting it will just keep it constantly in your mind and body trying to get out.

- orange juice or any vitamin c will help build your endorphins up quicker (remember you have 0 at the moment so anything to speed that process along)

- insomnia, not much you can do about this one. its a lot easier if you dont fight it though. I used to lay in my bed watching the clock, tossing and turning just getting so pissed off that I hadnt sleep in 30 hours or so and was still wide awake. Best advice here is just to not fight it, go downstairs and go ont he computer. Come on SR and post / read the threads. Watch a movie, read a book, whatever just keep your mind occupied on something OTHER than how sick you are.

Remember it WILL pass. its only a few days out of the rest of your life. If you go cop youll just have to start all over at day one and the longer you use opiates the worse and longer the withdrawal is.

any other symptoms or questions you have feel free to ask 80s. stay strong, you can beat this!!! i promise you.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
User

Hi & welcome to the site! I don't have any advice to offer since I've been unsuccessful at my own attempt at quitting, but I can tell you that you will get more advice and encouragement from the people here than you ever could have imagined. Good luck and keep posting!

P.S. I found that warm baths really do help! And I had some success using a melatonin supplement to help with the insomnia, though I don't think anything will completely take it away until you're through the withdrawal period.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your help and support. It is hard to find people that actually understand my every day inner battles.

So the withdrawal peaks on the 3rd night and 4th morning? Thats tonight and tomorrow.... im worried. I already feel like im going to loose it, ya know? I was hoping this was the worst.

The Vit C idea sounds good... im going through such emotional highs and lows... I kept myself pretty busy today, but now am having obsessive thoughts again. God these are so annoying. I feel myself scheming, thinking of things and ways to do it. I hate this.

I went out and got some gatorade... which is nice and refreshing. But i just feel so achy and tired that i want to drink a TON of caffine... but, i do believe you that it may make syptoms worse.

What do you guys know about taking ativan for the insomnia? Really, the restless legs kept waking me up, once i finally do get to sleep... SO annoying. I got up last night and just walked through the house, but quickly went to the couch because it goes back to me being so freakin tired! I feel like i have ran a marathon!

Know anything about potassium? u think that really works?

How many times have you all tried to quit? I know why its so hard to stop and start and stop and start.....

Thanks again for the encouraging words and help. You guys have NO CLUE how helpful you are to me. xoxox
Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

I think you've been given very good guidance here so I wont repeated.

I've od'd on and wd'd off of opiates so many times, it's ridiculous.

Just know there are some of us here who have been there.. and understand.

Check in often.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DAY 4: omg - what a f'n night... took a couple sleeping pills to knock myself out to hopefully get some sleep last night.. but woke up wide -eyed after only 2 and 1/2 hours of sleep with the leg twitches, cramping and the cold sweats. walked around the house, watched a little tv.... after 2 hours of non sleep, i could finally lay back down. But... here i am again... wide awake and exhausted. STILL have the chills and cramps... although i am finding the vitamins do make me feel a bit better during the day. I wonder what today will be like... better hopefully... but very doubtful. already have compulsive thoughts and i havent even been awake long enough to really see straight yet...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on fighting the fight. Many people die before they even make the effort. I went through withdrawl a few times from Ultram and it wasn't fun, I got these horrific brain-blink things I can't even describe. I doubt that withdrawl can hold a candle to OC withdrawl so I feel for you.

Don't worry about tomorrow or next week, just stay clean today. Just fight it for the rest of the day. It sounds like you're already past the halfway point, and I know you'd hate to do this all over again.

Hang in there, come back and post as much as you need to, let us know how you're doing. Sometimes things start to be a bit easier to handle when you can write them down and read them to yourself.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

congrats for making it through the night 80s!!! I always found the nights were more intense than the day for withdrawal (not sure if this was just a mental thing or what).

On the plus side your at day four!!!!!!!!!! you havent caved and are more than halfway through the detox process. Stay strong today, you are very close...PM me if you wanna talk or have any questions
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Goddess of Life-Death-Rebirth

I want to say congrats to you as well!!

I've been there and it really sucks but it WILL come to an end.. you can make it!

Just hold on a little bit longer...
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

Today might not be 'better'.. but you are well on your way to it!!

Thanks for checkin in..
Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
djharg

Talking djharg

Hi! What is oxy short for I'm from England maybe a different name eh!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
djharg

djharg

80's on my mind, You ask if ativan are any help to sleep ?
In my experience they are very good, but as your withdrawing, the ammount to take will have to be right to your tolerance.

Thanks to all of you for your help and support. It is hard to find people that actually understand my every day inner battles.

So the withdrawal peaks on the 3rd night and 4th morning? Thats tonight and tomorrow.... im worried. I already feel like im going to loose it, ya know? I was hoping this was the worst.

The Vit C idea sounds good... im going through such emotional highs and lows... I kept myself pretty busy today, but now am having obsessive thoughts again. God these are so annoying. I feel myself scheming, thinking of things and ways to do it. I hate this.

I went out and got some gatorade... which is nice and refreshing. But i just feel so achy and tired that i want to drink a TON of caffine... but, i do believe you that it may make syptoms worse.

What do you guys know about taking ativan for the insomnia? Really, the restless legs kept waking me up, once i finally do get to sleep... SO annoying. I got up last night and just walked through the house, but quickly went to the couch because it goes back to me being so freakin tired! I feel like i have ran a marathon!

Know anything about potassium? u think that really works?

How many times have you all tried to quit? I know why its so hard to stop and start and stop and start.....

Thanks again for the encouraging words and help. You guys have NO CLUE how helpful you are to me. xoxox
Old 06-04-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Evening of day 4.... must say temptation is here. My parents just gave me some cash and i know exactly what i want to do... but then i know if i do it... ill be back to day 1 all over again and may not break the cycle. BUT... on the plus side... my first appt with a therapist is in like an hour or so... maybe then i will of talked things out enough to not want to go get some pills.
Leg shakes / jolts have now decided to hang out with me ALL THE FREAKIN TIME! Not just at night, or in the evenings, or even when im sitting... but now they are even when i stand... i was walking to the restroom today, stopped to open the door and about took a spill from the achy jolt.
Have the worst headache too.
Im scared of tonight. Im so tired....but cant sleep...
thanks for everyone replying and giving me words of encouragement. without you guys... i may already be back in the old bad habits.

p.s. Ex... how do I PM on this thing... im too new to it.
p.p.s. Hey DJ - Oxy is short for Oxycontin or Oxycodone.... for me, it's OxyContin....
Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

To PM a member, just click on the members name and you get a drop-down menu with the option to send a PM.

I'm sorry you're still feeling shakey, but you don't have to go through this again. I'm so glad you have an appointment with your therapist.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Evening of day 4.... must say temptation is here. My parents just gave me some cash and i know exactly what i want to do... but then i know if i do it... ill be back to day 1 all over again and may not break the cycle. BUT... on the plus side... my first appt with a therapist is in like an hour or so... maybe then i will of talked things out enough to not want to go get some pills.
Leg shakes / jolts have now decided to hang out with me ALL THE FREAKIN TIME! Not just at night, or in the evenings, or even when im sitting... but now they are even when i stand... i was walking to the restroom today, stopped to open the door and about took a spill from the achy jolt.
Have the worst headache too.
Im scared of tonight. Im so tired....but cant sleep...
thanks for everyone replying and giving me words of encouragement. without you guys... i may already be back in the old bad habits.

p.s. Ex... how do I PM on this thing... im too new to it.
p.p.s. Hey DJ - Oxy is short for Oxycontin or Oxycodone.... for me, it's OxyContin....

Im totally on your cycle..and it sounds like the amount we did or took was greatly different..I never shot up or anything, but Im having the same probs with the withdrawals and stuff..I take prenatal vitimans, thru a suggestion, I guess they work, I cut my fingernails twice a day now lol..this is a hard thing i know, its good you came here and vented earlier in the stages though..and you said your husband knows of your probs and tells ya to tough up, I know where people like that are coming from they thing we are weak for even getting into this mess..but think back, Im willing to bet, what got you started was not your fault, a certain Dr didnt know when to stop prescribing? You didnt know any better you were always taught to listen to the Docs orders, am I right? Well here we are now. I know that was my case at least..and its really hard to cope with...Im sure you're right there with me. Take care and keep it up!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

day 5..... last night was the first time i did not wake up with the shakes... and only 1 cold sweat.
Now here's the kicker.... hung out with friends last night and this am... well, people i think are my friends (sometimes some people just need someone to do stuff with)... and did a 40 this am. I know I know.... after such a great night (comparitively) how could i even think about dabbling with it. It was wrong, but people have mishaps all the time... right? Uh.... I felt bad for doing it. Surprisingly... It didnt do much for me and Now it is hours later and im not craving... or obsessing. it is a beautiful day out and i am glad to part of it. Think we may take the motorcycle out later.
Hows everyone else feeling out there???
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i f'd up. i caved...