Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

God help me get through today, because I feel like I am ready to cave...

Notices

God help me get through today, because I feel like I am ready to cave...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
That roommate sounds like a complete @ss, but it's still no reason to drink (you're doing so well), and his tantrums aren't worth the sacrifice of your sobriety.

Stay Strong, sweets.

:ghug

Thank you hun...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sweets my good friend, Your roomate is a moron. You need to get out of there as soon as possible, but you know that. I, like everyone else before me, would suggest that you spend as little time as possible at home. Go to a movie, the library, anywhere that you can think of. I don't know where in New York you live (NYC, Albany, Clayton?) but if you check the phone book there's a listing for AA that's manned 24 hrs. a day. That person can provide you with meetings closest to you, perhaps w/i walking distance. Because going to a meeting is the best thing for you right now. SR is great but you need some one on one nurturing that can only be gotten in person. It's sad that you don't have a support group of family and friends close by to turn to. But you do have us and we're all praying for you now. No one should be going through what you are right now. Hang in there as best you can. Monday may seem like an eternity away but it isn't. And when you show up on Monday ask around about places to stay. There may be someone in your exact situation who you can tie in with.

In the meantime, feel free to vent away!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

((((Sweets)))))

Here's an idea that may be useful (or not). Can you start a list of the things you want to take with you when you move? Things you might need to set aside or save a few dollars to buy? I used to do that when I had to leave a bad roommate many years ago.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
((((Sweets)))))

Here's an idea that may be useful (or not). Can you start a list of the things you want to take with you when you move? Things you might need to set aside or save a few dollars to buy? I used to do that when I had to leave a bad roommate many years ago.

Love,

Lenina
That's a great idea...thank you..I really wish I had a backyard/patio. For some reason I started to have a real interest in flowers, I always liked them but it was never a hobby...I'm living in an apt. so I have nowhere to plant...I just bought an indoor plant, it's so pretty...not alot of things interest me (hobbies), but that's something I would like to do, that would keep my mind off all this...Maybe when I move I can get something with a small yard/patio...Longterm I am looking to move out of N.Y., somewhere warm, maybe by the beach... I've been wanting to move for a long time, but the drinking and depression held me back from moving forward with my life...Hopefully with the start of this intense therapy next week, in time I will have the motivation to go back to school, start a career and move out of N.Y...I don't think I'd be able to do that if I was still drinking...if you have any other ideas, let me know...you're very understanding and helpful.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi again sweets,

Yep, drinking can delay or destroy the best of plans. You'll never end up by the beach if you return to drinking, because those plans all drift away in a sea of booze.

Your roommate sounds like a basketcase, so I'd take another walk, enjoy the dreary weather and remember what your goals are. Once you're on a solid path of recovery, with a support network and others to assist you, you can lay the foundation for finding a new home, moving away from New York, and establishing yourself in a nice, warm sunny climate. Till then, ride out the storm and the abusive, inconsiderate behavior of the bonehead while he slams the doors, acts like a child and frustrates the hell out of you. He's just a temporary obstacle and impediment to your path of recovery, so stay true to yourself. While you''re out in the rain, kick up a couple puddles for me. I always enjoyed that, must be the kid in me.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Hi again sweets,

Yep, drinking can delay or destroy the best of plans. You'll never end up by the beach if you return to drinking, because those plans all drift away in a sea of booze.

Your roommate sounds like a basketcase, so I'd take another walk, enjoy the dreary weather and remember what your goals are. Once you're on a solid path of recovery, with a support network and others to assist you, you can lay the foundation for finding a new home, moving away from New York, and establishing yourself in a nice, warm sunny climate. Till then, ride out the storm and the abusive, inconsiderate behavior of the bonehead while he slams the doors, acts like a child and frustrates the hell out of you. He's just a temporary obstacle and impediment to your path of recovery, so stay true to yourself. While you''re out in the rain, kick up a couple puddles for me. I always enjoyed that, must be the kid in me.
I honestly have to say I just got a huge smile from ear to ear after reading your post....you really said everything so beautifully..(I highlighted my favorite parts)...Thank you so much, I really feel inspired by reading it...and yes he is childish, carrying on long after I ask to drop it and bringing up things that aren't even relevant to the argument itself...It just gets me more frustrated...It also is frustrating because we had an agreement...as long as I am taking steps towards recovery and getting better, we would get along....but that always goes out the window, but enough about him...I do have to remember what my goals are...I've never been a patient or positive person...and my self-esteem has never been that great... so thinking that I will be able to do all this (quit drinking, start school, a career, and move) is a long stretch for me...learning how to deal with unbearable emotions/situations without drinking, and learning how to keep pushing forward is foreign territory for me...I'm in for a long ride, but I will do my best.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sweets. I'm following your progress like a spectator sport today. So far you are moving the ball up the field nicely. Good third down conversions. No fumbles. Keep scrambling to avoid getting sacked by your roommate.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rad44 View Post
Sweets. I'm following your progress like a spectator sport today. So far you are moving the ball up the field nicely. Good third down conversions. No fumbles. Keep scrambling to avoid getting sacked by your roommate.
lmao, that was really funny
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

and lol @ when you said yak.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

One of the most difficult things I have worked thru is how NOT to interact or respond to unhealthy people.

They know how to push my buttons, IF I let them.

Restraint of tongue & pen is my only option.

"For I can neither think nor act to good purpose until the habit of self restraint has become automatic".

It IS a process.........& I'll be working on it the rest of my life.

Don't give them the pleasure of seeing you upset.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
One of the most difficult things I have worked thru is how NOT to interact or respond to unhealthy people.

They know how to push my buttons, IF I let them.

Restraint of tongue & pen is my only option.

"For I can neither think nor act to good purpose until the habit of self restraint has become automatic".

It IS a process.........& I'll be working on it the rest of my life.

Don't give them the pleasure of seeing you upset
Thank YOU so much for bringing this up, that really opened my eyes....People definitely know how to push my buttons and I believe some of them get immense pleasure out of it...That is definitely one of my biggest problems also, learning how to not interact or respond to unhealthy people...
I highlighted what I found especially enlightening...Thank you again for this insightful response...Great food for thought!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi again sweets,

Sounds like you have quite an agenda lined up, so you know what you want to some extent. That's the first step to getting what you want, that is to decide what "it" is.
Sounds like you've done a lot of that already. So, here's an idea, an approach if you will, to what you're up against. The first step of your new journey is to show up on Monday and talk with the counselors about your dreams, your problem with alcohol and how it sidelines your dreams and begin to put together a plan of action which will take you from point A to point B, and so forth. Considering that you only have one more day before your appt. on Monday, how bout getting out and doing something tomorrow to avoid Mr. Happy Face, and his toxic vibes. You have a whole day ahead of you tomorrow, try to think of something to celebrate the new journey you begin Monday, walk away from the negativity of your roommate and enjoy the day you have. Till then, chill out here, take a long bath or shower, read a good book, whatever you choose. That way you distract yourself from ole pia and focus on the new you. School, career, self-supporting behaviors are all learned experiences and you'll do great, one class at a time, one sober day at a time. It all adds up, kinda like putting change in a jar, sometimes you don't realize how much you have.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

On the subject of hobbies. Do you have an adult learning center close to where you live? They have day and evening classes and the range is huge: pottery, dance, philosophy, cooking, languages, you name it. If there is one, check their schedule, something must draw your attention. And they might have a scholarship or reduced tuition program if money is an issue.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Hi again sweets,

Sounds like you have quite an agenda lined up, so you know what you want to some extent. That's the first step to getting what you want, that is to decide what "it" is.
Sounds like you've done a lot of that already. So, here's an idea, an approach if you will, to what you're up against. The first step of your new journey is to show up on Monday and talk with the counselors about your dreams, your problem with alcohol and how it sidelines your dreams and begin to put together a plan of action which will take you from point A to point B, and so forth. Considering that you only have one more day before your appt. on Monday, how bout getting out and doing something tomorrow to avoid Mr. Happy Face, and his toxic vibes. You have a whole day ahead of you tomorrow, try to think of something to celebrate the new journey you begin Monday, walk away from the negativity of your roommate and enjoy the day you have. Till then, chill out here, take a long bath or shower, read a good book, whatever you choose. That way you distract yourself from ole pia and focus on the new you. School, career, self-supporting behaviors are all learned experiences and you'll do great, one class at a time, one sober day at a time. It all adds up, kinda like putting change in a jar, sometimes you don't realize how much you have.
Thank you again for your insight and concern, and advice..it really means so much...and I am listening to it and following it...Tomorrow is good because he works pretty much all day, so I will have peace...and yes as far as today, I am going out in a little bit to my friends house, then have dinner with my mom, and maybe meet up later with my friend again...so the worst part of my day has passed...I just hope nothing starts up again later...but I am very thankful for everyones replies and advice on my post...It stopped me from drinking, and that's more than I can ever thank you all for...It's priceless.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
On the subject of hobbies. Do you have an adult learning center close to where you live? They have day and evening classes and the range is huge: pottery, dance, philosophy, cooking, languages, you name it. If there is one, check their schedule, something must draw your attention. And they might have a scholarship or reduced tuition program if money is an issue.
I can look into that...I used to like pottery when I was little...Arts and Crafts and stuff like that...I love jewelry...I was going to get into jewelry making, but then I kind of got bored...I can look into something like that...Thank you for the suggestion...Maybe when I lose some weight, I will look into some dance classes...Right now I feel really self conscious with the weight I put on...I'm about 5'7 160...but I am very comfortable at about 140...I am eating better, so when I lose a few lbs, I can look into something like that...I would definitely do a dance class...Any other ideas? Keep em comin' if you have em...
Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sweets. Always tell everyone you are an incredible hottie when you are on the internet. That way guys will be slobbering all over you and it will be good for your ego. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sweets. Always tell everyone you are an incredible hottie when you are on the internet. That way guys will be slobbering all over you and it will be good for your ego. Just a suggestion.
I wouldn't be lying AND OH GOD, read my new post...If you are on tonight...PLEASE make me laugh.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
I wouldn't be lying AND OH GOD, read my new post...If you are on tonight...PLEASE make me laugh.
Sweets. I'm trying my best but honestly, I'm running out of material with the Day you're having. What's next? A Cancer diagnosis?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Sweets. I'm trying my best but honestly, I'm running out of material with the Day you're having. What's next? A Cancer diagnosis?
The hell if I know...What's NOT gonna happen next?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Sweets,

When you get to that meeting, you may want to find someone who has recovered to sit down with you and read pages 60-63 in the Big Book. It's jumping the gun, but a lot of that applies to the situation you describe.