Notices

I keep hearing about people saying their liver hurts

Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep hearing about people saying their liver hurts

what does that feel like- I have pains but not sure if its liver (but very well could be with my history....)- anyway just curious. I am doing a little better- but getting ready to take the next step. Heading to get some FA- (probably misspelled it- vietnamese soup i love- and i cant remember the last time I ate- may be able to eat some of it- i know i need to eat). well slept from around 5am until 8ish today- still going through the crap. It will get better. you all are so much support- I dont know where I would be without you...back in a few.
peace and love to all-
dub
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you mean Pho?

I have never had pains in my liver, from what I understand if you press below your ribs on the right hand side of your front (and it hurts) then it is swollen.

The usual advice given in these situations is.........wait for it......if you are worried see a Doctor!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A couple years ago I got alcoholic hepatitis and pancreatitis and my liver swelled to twice its normal size, the worse physical pain Ive ever experienced. If your liver is having problems, it definitely lets you know.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Obviously I'm not a doctor.. but you can't actually have pains IN your liver, the pain is from the inflammation of the liver, hurting the surrounding areas because of it's hardness/increased size, when there's something yucky going on inside it.

I hope you're ok!

I had this type of pain when I was drinking, I'm sure my liver was gigantic. Yet another great thing about not poisoning myself anymore. I hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I think flutter is correct. I had that the other day..just a slow small throb there.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

During my first few weeks of not drinking, I had what I'd call soreness on the right side of my abdomen, just below my rib cage.
It seems that it would ebb and flow a bit--much less noticeable when I would take in lots of water.
No pains/soreness now whatsoever.
As always: see a doctor the second something is wonky enough to warrant worry. No one knows your body as well as you do.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombat05 View Post
During my first few weeks of not drinking, I had what I'd call soreness on the right side of my abdomen, just below my rib cage.
It seems that it would ebb and flow a bit--much less noticeable when I would take in lots of water.
No pains/soreness now whatsoever.
As always: see a doctor the second something is wonky enough to warrant worry. No one knows your body as well as you do.
thats exactly what it feels like. a throbbing thing- bottom right rib cage----especially since I have significantly cut back. just wondering. i have been to a dr - mri, ctscan, and xrays etc and they say its ok. but its still there....best to you all.
dub
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im surprised they didnt give you an ultrasound, it can pick up a lot of things going on in our guts.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For two days following a binge, I vomited profusely. It started out as a "normal" hangover and then turned into something else. I know a doc in my personal life... he did an abdominal exam and when he palpated that area under the ribcage, right side, it hurt so sickeningly bad I doubled up involuntarily. When it wasn't being palpated it throbbed with a kind of dull ache. This doc thought I had acute alcoholic hepatitis. I probably should have been in the hospital but got through it at home, started drinking again at the end of day 2.

Bad times. Glad to be sober today.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was drinking a lot my liver was sore...After I quit it went back to normal...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
thats exactly what it feels like. a throbbing thing- bottom right rib cage----especially since I have significantly cut back. just wondering. i have been to a dr - mri, ctscan, and xrays etc and they say its ok. but its still there....best to you all.
dub
When I was actively drinking, the ache would usually go away when I'd drink again/more, likely because most of me was becoming numb. It's really scary what the numb feeling alcohol gives you can cover up :|
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've heard after a particularly heavy night/bender, your liver can swell, resulting in an extremely bloated feeling (maybe its just how my body is built, but it felt like my whole stomach/torso area would swell out like I was preggo...im a dude) and I would sometimes get aches in my back just below the rib cage, which I assumed was something kidney related, prob from the dehydration?

But since I quit drinking (25 days!), these issues have completely gone away!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

defo go to the docs, i've drunk **** loads before and i've never had that! Also there is count for the liver test that can go into 1000's, apparently there are more vital organs to worry about before the liver!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

for me, it was anything from minor to major stabbing pains in the area. My liver would also swell to the point my wife would notice it.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you are concerned, you should call your doctor and ask. If your liver was inflamed or had fatty tissue, generally you would see it on an xray, CT-scan. Your liver enzymes would be elevated. My abdomen hurt and was distended as well. All test came back negative. They diagnosed me as having gastritis which is inflammation of the intestines and sore muscles due to vomiting. As I said before, call your doctor if you have concerns. Hope you are feeling better
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’ve had the pain, it was not too bad for me just a dull noticeable sensation, but if I looked down without a shirt on I could see it swollen on the right just below the rib cage, I just looked and it’s not swollen anymore and no more pain. Quitting was the best thing I have ever done.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the advice here is timeless - see a Dr....
but keep in mind this is a pretty old thread guys

D
Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have noticed mine hurting since quitting/cutting back. Nothing major just minor pains and a fullness feeling on my right side. I'm hoping that after not drinking for a few weeks the pain will subside. I SO don't want to have to go to the doctor for this.....How embarrassing!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I don't think pain should ever be ignored.

It's your call Lushy but I think there are a lot worse things to deal with than a little embarrassment.. and some kind of internal pain problem would be one of those

D
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't wait for pain to get checked if you are at all concerned about your liver. I had a huge liver when I was in the hospital with jaundice / hepatitis ... after regularly drinking at least a 5th of hard liquor a day, around the clock ...... I never had any pain or discomfort at all.