SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What are the different AA chips? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/170805-what-different-aa-chips.html)

sfgirl 03-03-2009 04:08 PM

What are the different AA chips?

This is just a logistical question. What are all the different AA chips? What kind of ceremony goes into getting one?

If someone comes into AA late, as in they are six months sober and then join AA, can they still get their six month chip?

kj3880 03-03-2009 04:20 PM

You can get a chip at six months the first day you come in if you are six months sober...congrats if that's where you're at!!!

I suggest a meeting...they go through all the colors for you!
KJ

sfgirl 03-03-2009 04:26 PM

You mean a chip meeting? I've only ever gone to speaker/discussion. I just sort of wanted to know the different time intervals and if you can get chips for other things besides sober time?

Aysha 03-03-2009 04:28 PM

We get keychains in NA. I have only gotten my welcome chain.
I do believe its how long you been sober not how long you have been in the program.

stellaloella 03-03-2009 04:29 PM

I have a 24 hour chip, the only one I've ever gotten. :(

mle-sober 03-03-2009 04:46 PM

24 hr desire chip
1 month
6 months
9 months
1 yr
2 yr, etc.

I think. If I am remembering it correctly.

At my home club, they give out chips at any kind of meeting. At the beginning of the mtg the chairperson asks if there is anyone here that this is their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd mtg since getting sober. That person raises their hand and they get welcomed with a book and phone list and a chip if they want it. Then the chair asks if there is anyone with 1 month, 6 months, 9 months? They get their chips and applause and a hug. Then 1 yr or more? Chips, applause, hugs.

It's fun! I love it. I hated it at first - being on the receiving end. But I love these people now and they feel comfortable to me.

My 1 month chip, I didn't want the man hugging me. My sponsor sort of shouldered in and presented my chip and hugged me. Much better.

Hope that helps!

Pinkcuda 03-03-2009 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by chiynita (Post 2134093)
We get keychains in NA.

I'm kind of envious. I could sure use a keychain. Aren't they color coded or something like that?

Aysha 03-03-2009 06:09 PM

Yes they are..My 24 hr one is white. I could have gotten my 30 , 60, and 90 ay one but never went back.

Mine is in my filing drawer. I dont know what the colors are tho. I do know that 1 year is glow in the dark. LOL

Lenina 03-03-2009 06:17 PM

We give chips at most of the meetings out here. Year One is a cake but that needs to be arranged in advance. I was lucky enough to see a man get his 50 year cake! And a woman get her 47 year cake! She had some interesting stories to tell of her early years in AA.

Love,

Lenina

Taking5 03-03-2009 06:44 PM

There is no set way to do this, although the colors are somewhat consistent - white for beginners chip, etc. I have beento a meeting where they give chips away for every month up to a year, then yearly thereafter.

Also, all the meetings around here they give chips away at EVERY meeting.

I have been to groups in different parts of the country that NEVER give chips away. This was a part of AA (I am told) that Dr Bob and Bill W were not in agreement with.

Pinkcuda 03-03-2009 07:12 PM

The highly coveted "Whiners Chip" to hold you over during that long stretch between 1 and 2 years.
You get 7 your first year and then you have to go another year before you get another one. Therefore this chip was implimented.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1236136313

CarolD 03-03-2009 07:16 PM

Well....:)

Not all AA groups give chips.
Not all groups use the same colors to denote time
Not all groups have the same "spacing" time.

Can you come into AA and pick up a chip
any chip that is offered by that group...at your first meeting?
In the groups I know about....Yes.

Can you get a chip for something else...not related to alcohol?
I don't know anyone who has but we really don't check.

Sometime during a meeting...usually at the end...a member
will give out chips. Not a ceremony deal...just a lot
of smiles and clapping....and :You_Rock_

Birthday/Anniversary meetings are usually on the final days
of the month. Family and friends are invited...Cake is
served. This is specifically for members of that group
celebrating years of sobriety. The format differs from a
regular meeting...depending on the group.

:)...My current home group decorates the hall and
we have a speaker. The medallions are engraved
(Carol D) and have the years in Roman Numerials.
The youngests in years get a metal model
of a Harley Bike. Have no clie why...:laughing:

That's my experience on this topic
and certainly not Everyones.

TTOSBT 03-03-2009 07:21 PM

My experience has been Newcomer (a day, a part of a day or who just wants a new way of life), 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year and each year thereafter. Every meeting that I go to does celebrations at the beginning. Last Saturday, we had 4 people take cakes for a total of 157 years!

It was suggested to me that I take 3 token at 3 different meetings each celebration time (one for me, one for my hp, and one for the newcomer). I

CarolD 03-03-2009 07:31 PM

I can't find it...Drat!
I once had a link to the hostory of AA cips.

Hope someone else does....because I found it interesting
:yup:

Pinkcuda 03-03-2009 07:36 PM

Here's one.
AA History - Some History of AA Chips

sfgirl 03-03-2009 08:08 PM

Whoa, thanks everyone. I had no idea that it was so different in different areas. I think here they must only give out chips at what they call "chip meetings" but I have no idea. I just know that I see those on the schedule.

I always thought the structure of meetings was always pretty much the same and they could be different because of the people who came and therefore gave them content. Now I realize that meetings can vary in many ways. I definitely need to go to some more meetings. Also I didn't really there were cakes. I have yet to go to any meeting with food. So sad....I want cake. 50 years....that is amazing!

CarolD 03-03-2009 08:20 PM

Ok...in the context your sharing about....
it simply means their gorup does give out chips.

When you stend...ask if they have a special
"Birthday/Anniversary Meeting"....that's the cake one
:laughing:

Why are the formats so different?
AA Tradition

Four—Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.
another reason AA is an awesome adventure...:yup:

Personally....I enjoy Newcomer/Beginners meetings
or Open Discussion.
My choices has no revelance to
chips or no chips.

CAPTAINZING2000 03-03-2009 08:48 PM

we even give an 18 month coin here

mle-sober 03-03-2009 09:14 PM

We have birthday speaker meetings every single Saturday, with cake, and everyone sings happy birthday!

I celebrated my 1 year in February with 2 others who had 11 years and 20 years. It was awesome.

Now I feel so lucky.

Go to lots of meetings - it's fun.

Tommyh 03-04-2009 03:58 AM

here is how it works at my home group and surrounding groups in the area I live.
white chip to join AA.
if you are sober 1 yr before you get to AA,and you want to join AA,come get a white chip,you can get a one year chip after you stay sober 1 more year.
Sober time before AA does not mean sober membership in AA to us.The chips mean time in the program.
here they give out white chips for beginners,then 1 month-red aluminum,2 months-gold aluminum,3 months-red plastic,6 months-yellow plastic,and 9 month -green plastic chip and then the years-blue plastic.