Notices

Friday.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday.

It's Friday and usually at this time I'm in the pub at the start of a heavy drinking session but I took my dog for a walk instead and although I had to walk past three of the bars I usually frequent, I didn't go in. That was really difficult but now my head is telling me that my drinking habits are normal and that I don't have a problem. I just feel so bored and at the moment I can't see how I can stay away from alcohol forever. It just seems impossible that I'll be able to do this.
I know that if I go out I'll drink until I'm completely wasted but the thought of sitting about on my own all weekend is totally depressing. All I've done all day is think that it's Friday and I should be out drinking.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's always helpful to make up a plan early on in sobriety. Things like what you did, taking the dog for a walk help break up the routine. You need to make a list of things you can do to keep your mind and body busy early on. Even the most mundane tasks can be beneficial. Coming here, surfing and posting helps alot too.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wullie...
Maybe its a good idea when your walking your dog to take a new route, somewhere different so you wont need to walk by those pubs. I agree with Leo, coming here reading & posting is a great start and does help a lot. You wont be on your own...we are all gonna be right here!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi leo -
The first weekend was the hardest for me, too, but I felt so good once I got through it. I think we make it harder on ourselves than it has to be, though, because we get caught up in our imagination. We imagine that everyone is out having a good time - we imagine that we'll be bored or go crazy - we imagine what a drink would feel like.

Instead, we can use our imagination to think about waking up without a hangover, building a better life for ourselves, getting something done, trying something new.....

I've found that staying in the moment is really helpful. I don't do well when I'm living in my imagination. The good news is that is gets easier (and better).... if we can do it, you can too!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts people. It helps to know other people are going through the same issues. I'll watch a film and come back to this forum later and read some more. I wont go out and I wont drink.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's the way to do it!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

eating cheese and crackers and about to watch The King's Speech. not exactly rock n roll but at least I'll wake up tomorrow and not feel crap for several days.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Don't have to worry about not drinking forever. Just don't drink today. Also give yourself along time to turn this battleship around. I drank for along time, it isn't going to be awesome the first week fo quitting.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OorWullie,
I recognized early that it was not my head that wanted a drink, because my head was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It was some other not-logical part of me that kept up the alcohol abuse. That not-logical part is not able to make decisions, but my logical part can make these decisions, and stick by them.
It was very hard to keep these decisions when I was drinking, but after a few days sober my head started to clear, and my resolve strengthened. I hope you can find the same. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here OorWullie

It is hard, especially in the beginning, and especially when your life has revolved around drinking for so long...I remember being totally bewildered, not knowing at all how to 'live sober'...

But the folks here helped me - one day at a time, keep coming for support, take it easy - and I did that, day by day - gradually I was living sober...like a kid riding a bicycle, I was suddenly aware I was doing it...and it got easier the more I did it

You can do it too

D
Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi OorWullie...(was born in Scotland . If this site and the people on it bring you comfort, visit it as much as you need to for support...I absolutely know and understand the social/pub environment that you talk about...it's all around you...you can break free of it!!