Notices

BlackhawkFan In the House - checking in

Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BlackhawkFan In the House - checking in

Greetings All - BlackhawkFan here as a first time thread originator. I've been lurking for awhile and finally signed up/began posting in the past 2 weeks. I've really enjoyed the site and look forward to spending a lot of time with you all on this journey to sobriety.

Thought I would give you a quick story to introduce myself as I had a few extra minutes at work. Here goes -

I grew up in a small farm community and my family consists of heavy drinkers (no self proclaimed alcoholics....yet...other than myself). I've been in the Windy City now for 20+ years. I started in my teens and had been a heavy drinker and abused alcohol for nearly 30. While no real consequences (i.e. no arrests, no DUI, great job, house, toys, etc) the drinking took its toll on my relationships and I knew I had an increasingly severe problem that accelerated in the downward spiral the past 24 months which led to happy hours starting earlier every day and ultimately in the a.m. during the weekends, blackouts, etc. You all know the story that unfolds from here.

I never really tried to quit drinking on my own despite knowing my problem was increasing. Ultimately my wife said enough and drew the line in the sand. In mid Nov '13 I entered an intensive outpatient program that runs b/w 3-4 hours per night. I made it 3 weeks without drinking but then was out, feeling cocky and decided to have 2 drinks. Huge mistake. I then had a near catastrophic setback a few days later as 1 turned into too many to count. Funny how the AV tricks us into thinking we can handle moderation.

At any rate....It has now been slightly over 3 weeks since my relapse. Naltrexone was started after my setback. I'm sure this has helped a ton to curb the cravings as I feel very strong with where I'm at and seldom think about drinking which consumed my thoughts not long ago.

I'm doing meetings in addition to my IOP and working on a sponsor but not there yet. Also spending a lot of time on SR which is part of the tools I'm using to make progress. I do not and will not go back to the bottle. I feel very strong right now but know that I have a long road ahead of me and am committed to doing everything to make this a successful and life changing process.

That is a quick summary on my story. Thanks for listening. I look forward to your support and to supporting you on this journey.

GO HAWKS!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story blackhawkfan

really good to have you join us

D
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Blackhawkfan x
Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I find lots of support here. I am glad to meet you and good luck on your journey.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

We should start a hockey thread.
You got a good team there, I have to admit.
Plus the coolest Jerseys in the NHL by far.

Tony O was my hero before I learned to skate...

Welcome!!

D.D.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to the forums,Thankyou for sharing.

Hope you find a sponsor soon to take you through the programme.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Blackhawkfan. I'm glad you reached out and told your story. This is a wonderful place for encouragement.