Notices

finding a job after a DUI charge

Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BDP
Rising Phenoix

finding a job after a DUI charge

I got a DUI last November and will be charged on Feb. 5th. If that wasn't bad enough I'm also looking for full time employment! Just how much of an obsticle will this charge be? I have a Masters so I'm looking for an office job of some type.

who here has experience with this situation and how did you fare?

right now I am very nervous of the situation I put myself in due to my carelessness. I constantly wish I could redo that night so I wouldn't put myself behind the wheel.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well - most employers want to know if you have been convicted of a criminal offence - and you haven't, YET. Personally, I wouldn't disclose that information unless absolutely necessary. If they ask for a police clearance letter, the charge shouldn't show up there either.

Keep it in mind, though, if you end up getting a position that requires you to drive. If convicted, you may lose your license and will need an alternate means of transportation.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

I'm in the same position too. I have already been convicted though and will be getting my license back soon. I worry about if I have to get a finger print clearence card. My experience is working with the disadvantaged; i.e. the homeless, at risk youth and so on. Anyone else having any experience with trying to find employment after getting a DUI?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi BDP! Thanks you your post.

I do have experience with DUI's/Employment. Not all jobs do a background check and you may want to elude to if this is something a potential employer looks into. I have stated my DUI's when that was the case so there would be nothing hidden. In most cases, however, I don't go there because it's not neccessary. It's up to your own discretion regarding how and when to disclose this information. I have experienced by being honest, I'm respected for that.

I'm just curious as to how long it takes before it actually shows up on a background search???? Does anyone know? With your "conviction" not actually taking place until February... I'm wondering if you'd be in the clear at this given point. Another thing to consider is, in California, there are mandatory DUI classes that need to be attended. If this is something you have to do, you may want to find out the days/times in which they go on so you can work around that.

Good luck! Hope this was somewhat helpful to you!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Some jobs it matters, some jobs it doesn't matter at all.

Above ALL - don't repeat the same mistake!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Depends entirely on where you go. Some employers don't care about anything below a felony, some consider any misdemeanor criteria to push your application aside, and I'm thinking most will just weigh it against your strengths.

I got a job with a DUI conviction that involves working with families. I told them the circumstances upfront and they didn't say anything else about it.

One suggestion: small, private companies are going to be more lenient than large corporations. Corporations tie up their human resources with a lot of automated procedures. Small companies are more apt to look at your entire resume and background.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Back in the late 80's I got a DUI and I didn't disclose it to my next employer, which was Sony. The job I got was outside sales so I had to drive as I was on the road all the time. They did not do a license check and never knew about it and as long as I was making my quota I doubt if they would have cared after the fact but they might not have hired ne if they knew in the first place.
Dui is a criminal offence in Canada so it would show up on a criminal check.
I say if they don't ask don't tell.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am new to this community - hello to you all. I agree with Rowan. Until you go to court, you do not need to answer yes to the conviction question. After the conviction, however, be honest. I have a 11/2007 conviction and have to answer that question in my job hunt and it is scary but I am getting interviews. What's been done can't be undone - just do what is required of you, stay out of trouble, keep looking for a job and know that it is out of your control. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Hi BDP!
I'm just curious as to how long it takes before it actually shows up on a background search? Does anyone know? With your "conviction" not actually taking place until February... I'm wondering if you'd be in the clear at this given point. Good luck! Hope this was somewhat helpful to you!
To be convicted means to be found guilty. Until the accused is found guilty, they do NOT have a criminal record, according to the law. Even though the accused may be 'up' on charges of impaired driving, this information is not normally disclosed in a routine criminal background check.

I'm pretty sure, though, that even if charges are withdrawn, this charge WILL show up on their record - but not until the matter is complete.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Rowan and thanks!

I kinda figured that but wanted clarity. You gave it to me!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here for you BDP.

Good luck with the job search.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat & appreciate the advise that has been given!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ok guys.......here's what I know. It depends...there are several types of background checks, some go much deeper than others. I got an excellent job after my DUI at a communications company......I said nothing, they said nothing. I went to a big cable company, they dug deeper. I had told the supervisor beforehand if it would be a problem. She said no, I am not driving for them....that time it came back and it showed. Quit there.....went for a job that had a COMPANY VEHICLE. This was only 2+ yrs after the DUI.....got the job even though it showed. He said as long as it was longer than 2 years ago. I also got a p/t job this Christmas season in retail. Background check, nothing on the driving. It depends on how deep they go. You probably would not get a job driving a bus full of nuns or as a taxi cab driver but there is hope. They don't care if you aren't driving for them. I experienced alot of anxiety over this until I learned all the facts.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BDP
Rising Phenoix

Thanks for the post, Vicious as it's reassuring. I kidna figured that's how things would go and Im hoping that they actually do. Like I said, I'm looking for an office type job so I wouldn't be required to drive any car other than my own. I certainly won't offer the info without it being necessary (i.e. being asked if I've ever been arrested) I know a DUI is not a career killer in most cases, even though it feels like it to me right now. I just got to keep thinking positive and hope for the best. I think this dang economy presents a bigger challenge for me rather than a small charge on my record.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I just found out from a local hiring manager in my area that larger companies have a "set company policy" of going back 3 years on background checks, if you have been convicted of a DUI they cannot hire you. Sad but true. I got a DUI 18 months ago, have been looking for full time employment ever since.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am in the employment business and a DUI is seldom a cause for not being hired unless it is a felony. I would always be up front that it will turn up on a background check but misdemenors are mostly over looked.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As long as you don't have to drive commercial vehicle then you should be okay. Most employers don't really care if you have 1 DUI. Just don't come into work on time and don't be drunk and you should not have to worry. Over 1 million people a year gets a DUI. Don't lie about it.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Never say never...

I know here in MA they will sometimes issue you what's known as a "Cinderella license"....which would enable you to drive to and from work ONLY. Big trouble if you get caught driving during a time that isn't specified tho.

Good luck with everything.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If it asks on the application, and you've been convicted by then, best to be honest and disclose it. Notice ya from MO...is your case on Case.net? If so, even small businesses wil be able to find out without even running a formal check. Make sure and list as a misdemeanor, so long as it is. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Most DUI are misdemeanor, so you don't have to put down the DUI if they only ask for felonies. So you need to know what you got. Also if you are applying for a job now and didn't get charge yet then you don't have to put anything down yet. Once it's on your record then you will need to put it down.