Notices

Help controlling the shakes

Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help controlling the shakes

I am new to this site and this whole recovery experience. I have been so ready to quit drinking for a long time. Most of what is bringing me back to drinking is the shakes. Its so embarassing. I hide my alcohol problem from everyone and when I start to go through withdrawals I always head back to drinking just to stop from shaking. I don't want to be around work or the people close to me just to hide this issue. Its turning into a vicious cycle. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or natural remedies that would help with this problem.

Can anyone tell me how long it took for the shakes to go away after you stopped drinking? Its driving me insane.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found that after a few days of detox I was able to exercise and this helped me a ton. The shakes left after a few days and I felt great getting my destroyed body back in shape. Yes it is hard but I made a decision to workout every morning, something I couldn't do when hungover. Best of luck, just do your best to get through it, you won't regret the feeling of being healthy.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think shakes are from low blood sugar, because alcohol has a lot of suagr in it, so lots of fruit or lots of sugary stuff should help. It's supposed to be best to lower your blood suagr level slowly.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I googled 'alcohol withdrawal symptoms and duration' and it said that 3 to 5 days is the expected duration of the worst withdrawal symptoms. The shakes comes from your brain no longer being 'depressed' from alcohol and all your systems are suddenly 'wide awake'. So your brain goes from being slowed down from all the alcohol to being speeded up when the alcohol is withdrawn. Mine went away in a few days. I also drank herbal teas like "sleepytime" tea containing chamomile and valerian. It helped a bit in the first few days.

Doctors will sometimes prescribe meds to get you thru the worst of withdrawals. Speaking to your doctor before detoxing is a good idea as withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous.

There is also a 'sticky' at the top of the Alcoholism forum page called "quitting, what to expect, what we did" which contains useful info.

Keep coming back here. Remember, if you get thru the worst of the withdrawals you don't ever have to go thru them again. I wish you the best in getting off alcohol. It's worth it!

:ghug3
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You should always talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol because it can be very dangerous.

Are you able to take a few days off work or maybe begin detoxing on a Friday? It could be that the shaking is more apparent to you than to others.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I too worried lots about people noticing my shakes.

Reading this it just became apparant to me that people who don't drink don't shake - how cool is that - and to think I wasted years drinking more to stop the shakes.

Although its tough I think my shakes were more or less gone after 2/3 days and completly gone within a week - worrying about shaking was probably the thing that made them worse.

100 days sober now and I've realised I haven't even thought or worried about the shakes for weeks and weeks - how quickly we forget.

The other thing is that I'm not aware that anyone has noticed that I no longer shake, I think maybe we build it up worse in our minds than it actually is.

I know its hard though as its only a few months ago I was in that place myself.

It does get easier with each day though, if you can get a few days off work and see your doctor I'd reccomend it.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

With me - On day seven I looked at my hands and they didn't shake. I hope this isn't medical advice, I don't see how it could be since it's herbs etc... but I am taking: 3 Evening Primrose Oil tablets, three Fish Oil, One Complete B tablets, One multi, and at night Valarium. The eening primrose is great. When girls are PMSing they lack the stuff that's in the Primrose, so it's really handy to be taking it when you're going through stressfull stuff.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

For me, controlling the shakes is like finding a solution to dealing with hangovers...

... stop drinking and after a week or so you'll NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT AGAIN.

(It really is a very simple concept, why do we constantly seek more complex solutions?)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is an informational link with some of our experiences
Do note that not one of us had the exact same symptoms.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

...Welcome to our recovery community
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its very individual with the shakes and I think its also depending on how much neuro damage you´ve done to your brain.

If you have shakes more than 6-8 weeks I would ask your GP to get MRI scan.

I had to do the same. Was told that shakes and other more minor symptoms can take up to a year to be repaired. I.e brain functioning etc.

Shows how serious drinking really is and how ignorant we can get to our own health while drinking.

I used to think as long as I had a couple of weeks off here and there, I was fine.

The good news is that as long as you stop drinking in time before any serious damage, you will fully recover and can live a long happy life without alcohol :-)