Notices

Life getting in the way!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life getting in the way!

Hi Everyone. I am on day 5 and havent had a thought of drinking today. Its not that I have any craving but I feel like I am going nuts. Anxiety, a bit of shakes, etc. My problem is I am a Phd student and have my defense tomorrow morning in the morning! I cant think straight and I have to go in front of the faculty to present academic research. I'm feeling like with my withdraw symptoms I'm going to make a fool of myself. I need to present for an hour and I feel like I cant keep a train of thought for more than 15 seconds!

What should I do?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry about your issue. Why not go to the ER and get medical help. I think they can sober your up.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks action. I'm not having any symptoms that I think are an actual medical issue, its just the school issue, I can't cancel or I wont graduate wont be able to interview etc. I know it seems a bit childish, but life is getting straightened out and I feel like I need to muscle through this. Just scared.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ddrayer View Post
Thanks action. I'm not having any symptoms that I think are an actual medical issue, its just the school issue, I can't cancel or I wont graduate wont be able to interview etc. I know it seems a bit childish, but life is getting straightened out and I feel like I need to muscle through this. Just scared.
Go to the ER and see a doctor. That happen to me when I got out of school. They will give you something for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you are facing this test on day 5 and the nerves you are feeling are likely exacerbating the symptoms. If you have prepared for this test in every other way you can though, that's all you can do, try to reassure yourself of that. My thoughts were quite muddled at times in early recovery. I found that some anti craving medication helped clear and calm them somewhat. Maybe you can discuss some options with your doctor (be clear about your addictive history) plus some relaxation techniques to help you through this time. The first response to getting stressed is rapid breathing, if you slow that it can help, plus mindfulness - staying in the moment. Good luck with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think there's any need to go to the ER, unless you feel the need .

Presenting a defense is stressful for anyone I think - try and relax as much as possible, get a good night's sleep, eat healthy and well.

I'm sure you'll do fine ddrayer - you've done the work - good luck

D
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get lots of rest, drink lots of water, and take some vitamins.

Then, speak slowly. You've got an hour.

Also maybe take the time tonight to write a good outline or notes, then stick to that. And don't worry -- no one will notice the difference between regular old presentation nervousness and a withdrawal fugue. And I'm sure you'll be asked to clarify anything you muddle

You'll do fine. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, and remember how much worse you'd do hungover Been there, don't ever want to do that again.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, it would be nerve-wracking no matter what.

Try to get some rest and have faith that you will get through it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I can't express how much the support means.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Further you know, beyond offering some immediate solutions, we all hit challenges sooner or later in sobriety where we feel the 'life is getting in the way' (too many to mention here lol). If you work at the recovery and have the support network, you are better prepared for dealing with them. But I try not to look too far ahead, but stay in the moment and deal with the challenges a day at a time, none of us really knows what is and what isn't going to happen.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Michelle! While I have had plenty of those life getting in the way moments (and usually used those as an excuse) fortunately tonight life isn't getting in the way of my sobriety! I thank god for that. Just bad timing with going through some difficulties with quitting. No desire to drink, just wish I could think straight right now!