SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just for Today (AA card) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/142247-just-today-aa-card.html)

Negative Man 01-22-2008 06:49 PM

Just for Today (AA card)

A few people asked about this AA card in the Chat Room. I carry it in my wallet and read it daily. Here's the text, plus a link:

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I wiil take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways; I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do - just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests : hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself, and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

A 24 hour program - just for Today

CarolD 01-22-2008 06:53 PM

Actually that is not AA but Nar-Anon.

It's a program for the loved ones of addicts.

:) still a good thing to strive for.

Negative Man 01-22-2008 07:26 PM

Yes, it's on the Nar-on page, but my card is an AA card. I guess they all share the same thoughts and ideas.

Rowan 01-22-2008 07:33 PM

Thanks for sharing that, NM! :) And thanks for your thought-provoking shares in chat tonight.

ANGELINA243 01-22-2008 09:10 PM

"I will not be a mental loafer" and "Just for today I will be unafraid"---Wow! Thanks Negative Man for posting this and for your kind, helpful words in the chat room. I get much of my strength here--you guys carry me through--when I don't have the strength/courage to go on. Thanks to everyone here at SR>I am sober "Just for today" because of all of you! :ghug2

scaredykat 01-22-2008 09:19 PM

Thanks for posting this NM. "Just for today I will be unafraid"---I like this part myself being so scared of life half the time.

Barb

timetogiveitup 01-22-2008 09:25 PM

Yeah it's a great card. I keep it in my wallet too but I forget to read it some days.... my bad.

Reject 08-06-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 1647749)
Actually that is not AA but Nar-Anon.

It's a program for the loved ones of addicts.

:) still a good thing to strive for.

The link is not AA however the 'Just For Today' card is A.A. Conference approved literature

Dee74 08-06-2009 04:00 PM

Thanks for the bump Reject - wherever they come from, they're good things to aim for :)

Welcome to SR :)
D

Charmie 08-06-2009 04:37 PM

in the uk just for today is indeed an AA card and given to AAers in the newcomers pack. i stuck to this like glue at first before i got on the programme.i think just for today is a great little card! mine is by my bed,,i dont read mine enough either,,i think the words in it are trully inspirational and full of hope,,,for anyone!

Reject 08-08-2009 01:48 AM

Thank you for the welcome Dee74 :c014:

The card was given to me on day one and it was suggested I read it every day - something that has proven to serve me well, I love it.

Although I fail miserably quite often it has a lot to aspire to on there. I think the hardest one for me is, "I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out." Jeeez, I want a pat on the back & a round of applause if I do the hoovering lol

Charmie 08-08-2009 06:47 AM

sorry for not welcoming you reject!,,,,,WELCOME!,,that part of the card about doing someone a good turn without being found out is indeed sometimes difficult to do!,,i was going on a trip a few months ago,i had purchased a weekly bus pass and it still had four days on it,,i thought "magic" i will ask the bus driver to pass it on to someone who wants a weekly ticket or a regular bus user and it would save them some money,without them knowing who had donated it,,,the bus driver was very grumpy that day and refused to do it! :(,,he said give it to someone yourself,of course i wasnt going to explain to him why i wanted him to do it! lol,,i even tried giving it to a few folk on the bus even though they would know who was giving them it but they all had their own! ugh,,i gave up!,,:headbange:c009:

franfranks 01-07-2010 05:29 AM

Agree with most of it but...

Hi, I agree with most of it but have a problem with the following...

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

What about people with an undiagnosed depressive condition? They will find it nearly impossible to make their minds up to be happy on a daily basis or any kind of basis. Coming from Abraham lincoln who was widely believed to have suffered from long bouts of clinical depression it's a bit rich.

Also...

I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

I spent 4 weeks in a 12 step based group therapy rehab being told again and again and again ''be honest with your feelings'' ''group therapy is practice for the real world''. One of my biggest failings was pinpointed that I let people walk all over me because I found it difficult to express my true emotions for fear of rejection. Since then I have been making a daily effort to express myself when I felt wronged, so this bit of the card seems totally contrary to what I learnt in treatment.

Anyway, the rest of it seems like good practical advice i can apply to my recovery on a daily basis.

Thanks for posting

SusanE 01-07-2010 08:03 AM

I, to, am confused by the part that says to hide my feelings. The rest I like a lot.

jamdls 01-07-2010 10:06 AM

I'm not a AA person but I like what this has to say a LOT! I think it's great words to live by for anyone A or not.

Charmie 01-07-2010 10:46 AM

the part about feelings i think means dont get bent out of shape with somebody else,but as far as your feelings go as long as you are being true to yourself about them thats ok...eg..i have a rude elderly neighbour,and her tongue is sharp,if she was rude to me and hurt my feelings then i was rude back where would that get us? so i smile politely and move on.its her stuff not mine.