Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone else here get a headache or blurry vision from taking Campral?

Notices

Anyone else here get a headache or blurry vision from taking Campral?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Unhappy Anyone else here get a headache or blurry vision from taking Campral?

Hi everyone

I havn't posted in awhile but recently, I have made an all-out effort to quit drinking after my sister and her husband (whom I havn't seen in years) flew out to visit me and I acted like a drunken idiot in front of them and completely embarrassed myself. The next day, I was so hungover, I felt like I had been lobotamized or something. It was AWFUL!!.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else here has (or currently) is taking Campral (Acamprosate) and if you personally have ever experienced a headache or blurred vision as a side effect of taking it. I realize that these are listed as side effects but I want to know if anyone HERE has ever experienced these taking Campral rather than just reading it off some "side effects list".

Thanks so much, Need4Change
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I take Campral, I've been taking it for almost 2 months now. I haven't experienced any side effects from it. I will say, it DOES curb the cravings for alcohol but you are still ultimately in control. It would be possible to drink while taking it, but it does help you not crave the alcohol.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My understanding is Campral helps with the withdrawal problems for someone who has already quit. That is, it helps mellow you out those evenings after work when you are dying for a drink. I also thought (think?) that Vivitrol is for helping out with cravings. Instead of one to two .....to six to seven... it may make it one to two like normal people.
Does this sound right?

Also, Campral's directions say something like you already have to be detoxified or have to have already quit. What does this mean? Did I quit ten seconds after my last drink? How long until someone is detoxified?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Campral won't help with withdrawal. It will only help with cravings after you've detoxed. I don't know what is considered a time line for detox, I was in a detox center for 3 days myself, and I was prescribed the Campral about a week and a half later. It's taken 3 times a day.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi ucsb...

I did not use any medication for either
cravings or withdrawal from alcohol.

So I can't answer your questions.

However...Welcome to SR!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have headaches and blurred vision sometimes. Been on acamprosate for about 3 months. But I'm also still taking a small dose (150 mcg) of clonidine to help with the agitation of PAWS as well. So I'm not sure if that might be causing the problems, or if there are some additive/overlapping side-effects from taking both of them at the same time.

I did notice that the clonidine by itself was not enough at first to still the agitation/anxiety/irritability -- was already taking it for a month after going sober. My doctor had prescribed both at the same time but I didn't want to add too many meds at once. Once I started the acamprosate, it really started kicking in after 5-6 days and attenuated the PAWS symptoms quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been six months sober now. Since my last post on this thread, my headaches are about gone, or at least very reduced now. But I've also quit taking the clonidine as I no longer need it to keep the agitation at bay. I'm still taking some Campral for a couple more months, so I guess the headaches weren't from it to begin with. Not sure if the headaches were from the from the clonidine, or if time away from alcohol is the best healer?
Old 01-14-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Commet Jo I have just commenced taking campral, I hope it helps as almost 4 months sober now and still suffering PAW symptons, I am hoping the campral speeds up the brain reconnections and fog goes away.