Notices

Beer Detox Tips?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beer Detox Tips?

Would folks send me some tips about detoxing from beer? How will my body react? Should I take vitamin supplements? Take hot baths? Aspirin? How long does detox take? Anything, any tips...please. ~Kate
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate,

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking!

The best thing is to talk to your dr and get his/her advice on stopping drinking.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here's a great thread that will help you a lot, after you talk to your Dr. Detoxing at home alone is VERY DANGEROUS!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Welcome to SR you have found a great place!!!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey khiggs, good choice to stop drinking. and great suggestions above to talk honestly to a doctor about detoxing. be safe, and keep posting! blessings, k
Old 08-11-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Detoxing is detoxing...alcohol is alcohol. But, the help/advice of a doctor is recommended, as suggested above.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Khiggs, beer is my poison of choice also. Though I am not sober I have "detoxed" off it dozens of times. I used a strong non-aspirin to help the shakey feeling, and I think it helped, but who knows? Probably not recommended because it could hurt your already damaged stomach. I was told by my doctor that I should never have tried to detox without medication since I could have had a seizure, heart attack or stroke. I guess it depends on how much you've been drinking and for how long. I always was so miserable when I tried to get off it - it would take about 2-3 days and I would perspire heavily and even sometimes vomit, because my body was saying, "Hey, what happened-where's my stuff?" I'd stay away from caffeine or sweets, it just jangles your nerves more. Walking and keeping busy is good, but of course you won't feel like it! It is just a miserable and alone feeling - I guess that's why AA meetings are suggested. Try to remember how awful it felt getting off it and you might not pick it up again. Bless you.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be seeing my doctor week after next. Some one asked how much do I drink? 5-6 beers a day, pretty steadily for the last three months, though Mr. Beer has been in my life for a lotta years. Something IO Storm and Rowan posted last week suggested to me that I drink enough that I need to detox. My life circumstances no not permit me to go to a facility. (I have a lot of animals and no one to care for them but me.) I return to fulltime work in two weeks and want to be "on the road" to cleaning out. I need to know what I can expect so that I can recognize it and not freak out. ~Kate
Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Khiggs. Welcome to SR! It's good to have you here.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Khiggs, I am also a heavy beer drinker - at least a 12 pack a day - and I'm not a big person. I've been drinking for years and have quit here and there but always went back (currently on my 5th day sober). I never had serious physical withdrawal symptoms until the last time I quit, and it was very, very scary. I think withdrawal can really vary from person to person, and even light (but regular) drinkers can suffer symptoms, so the above advice is right as far as talking to a doctor. Also, serious withdrawal symptoms, like seizures, DT's etc., are very preventable with a Dr.s care and not something you'd want to risk.

That said, having done/doing it on my own, I can tell you that Hevyn is right, avoid caffeine at all costs. I had a cup of coffee (I drink almost as much coffee as I do alcohol normally) yesterday and I immediately got heart palpitations. Also, chamomile tea (Sleepy Time is great) seems to help. I'm drinking Celestial Seasonings Morning Detox as well - it's milk thistle and dandelion tea, but it has a pregnancy warning so I wouldn't advise it before you talk to your Dr. I've been drinking it for a few years as a feeble attempt to make up to my liver Also taking a multi-vitamin, folic acid, and a brewers yeast tablet (good thiamine source). Lots of baths with epsom salts, though the benefit of that may be in my head. Tons of water, no suger added juice and getting some easy to prepare, healthy food in can't hurt either. I think all of the above can be done along with your Dr.s instructions (except the vitamins and the detox tea, he may prescribe something and you don't want to double up or have an interaction). None of my suggestions will help you with the insomnia, which is a pretty common symptom, but your Dr. will probably give you a sedative of some sort.

MOST important, put yourself first, if only for that first week or two. I also have a lot of animals and they can be just like a house full of kids. It's hard but don't let yourself stress over the little chores that can be overlooked for that short period of time.

I wish you the absolute best of luck.