Notices

help getting off xanax

Old 07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

the tapering issue has to do with seizures..........i was on a lower dosage than this, but continued to take a bit less over a period of 9 months.

re: anxiety, I am not allowed to post the web site here, BUT anyone who would like, PLEASE PM me and I will send you the link to RESOLVE ALL YOUR ANXIETY ISSUES W/O MEDS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!

I know, I did it........

Tom
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Yowch!

I've felt your pain. I had a "light" Xanax" addiciton years ago, and as bad as it was, I understand it can get much worse. Alot worse.

Taper seems to be what they do for it. But alot of the symptoms seem to be the same as opiate withdrawal. Your heart is racing? Maybe they'll give you Klonidine for that if you ask. I just don't know, but it is what they do for that for opiates when that happens.

Unfortunately, there are no medications for sleep issues that aren't, in the end, addictive. I hope you can get through it. Can you take time off? Should you? (Lack of activity is a killer when you're like that).
Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rita, glad to hear you're working with your doctor to get things cleared up I've known so many people who've had / have problems with benzos, I feel for all of you who are going through that
Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Rita.Welcome to SR. I admit i only read the first few posts, but I was on zanax for 10 years and was trying to get off for 8 of those. Benzos are hard to quit. I tried to taper off, but after awhile I needed more and more I just accepted the fact that I was addicted to them along with the booze, and so I stocked up and before i knew it I was eating them like candy.

CAme back to the realization that I better stop and tried cold turkey. I was so paranoid I was walking around the house with a baseball bat checking all the windows over and over. I was also convinced there was a mouse in the house, chasing that everywhere and pouding the floor with the bat to kill it. (poor invisible mouse i think I killed him cause I havent seen him since)
The cold turkey didnt last long so I went back to trying to taper off

The bottom line is i had to go to detox. they gave me librium to keep me from having seizures, and some type of anti anxiety pill along with a low dosage of sleeping pills at night so I was really never uncomfortable.
I slept through all the bad **** under medical supervision.
Im not sure the klonopin is going to help you. Most of the time we just trade one drug for another.
If you ever have a question or want to talk just PM me.
even after you stop staying stopped is hard also.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I want to let everyone know I talked to my father who will be paying for me to go into detox, I realized I can't do it on my own. probably within the next week . my concern is do they give you medications to help w/withdrawals, my son went to detox for a week and they gave him some medicines to help which was about 6 yrs ago now he doesnt take xanax anymore. Any comments welcome. Also going to get off alcohol in my case I am having dt's , tryed to quit cold turkey, but couldnt do it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEEDTOBESOBER View Post
I want to let everyone know I talked to my father who will be paying for me to go into detox, I realized I can't do it on my own. probably within the next week . my concern is do they give you medications to help w/withdrawals, my son went to detox for a week and they gave him some medicines to help which was about 6 yrs ago now he doesnt take xanax anymore. Any comments welcome. Also going to get off alcohol in my case I am having dt's , tryed to quit cold turkey, but couldnt do it.

Great that your dad is going to help you.

The Rehab I went to they gave me phenabarbitol starting from a dose based on my usage of Zanax to tapering everyday down to one and and then O...This medication was given to prevent seizures. Don't quit alcohol on your own especially if you are having DT's. Benzos' and alcohol withdrawal should always be done under medical supervision.

Thinking of you and keep posting.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Missymae, how many mgs a day were you taking?, I would say I take 6 mgs a day, and sometimes up to 8 mgs.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEEDTOBESOBER View Post
Missymae, how many mgs a day were you taking?, I would say I take 6 mgs a day, and sometimes up to 8 mgs.
I was prescribed 6 mg. a day. The last few months of being on this medication I was taking a lot more. I don't remember how much as this was like total a blackout.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rita,

How has your week been going?

I hope the taper the dr put you on works well.