Notices

TOPIC: What Does Your AA Or NA Symbol Mean To You?

Old 10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question TOPIC: What Does Your AA Or NA Symbol Mean To You?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent had a
a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90.
For that im truely grateful.

Our AA Symbol.....

THE TRIANGLE WITHIN A CIRCLE REPRESENTS:

UNITY
SERVICE
RECOVERY

OR

BODY
MIND
SPIRIT

Im not familiar with the NA symbol.

Would you like to share your ESH on it
for us to know and understand?

THANKS FOR LETTING ME SHARE.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get comfort from it. If I see someone in the street wearing it on a chain it reminds me that I am not in this alone. That is why I wear mine as often as I can, just in case someone out there catches a glimpse of it and it gives them a little bit of hope if only for a day.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

The NA Symbol has the circle around it which represents Freedom the Universal Program, The four sides of the square represent self, God, Society, and Service which all comes down to Goodwill in the center here is a picture of our symbol

Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

The N.A. TREE

The Service Structure of

Narcotics Anonymous

Serenity Prayer

GOD . . .

Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I

cannot change.

The Courage to change the things I can . . .

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

We cannot change the nature of the Addict or

Addiction . . .

We can help to change the old lie "Once an addict,

always an addict" by striving to make recovery

more available.

God help us to remember this difference.

An open letter to the members of Narcotics Anonymous

November 17, 1975

Dear Fellow Members:

Again, the groups in our area are being asked questions like, "Hey, what's this GSR we're supposed to be electing next week, what does he do?"; "Where does the money go, what's it used for?"; " Now that I've been elected Secretary, what do I do?"; "What's the WSO?" Most of the answers we've heard to these questions and others like them have been based on good guesses, opinion, or misinformation. There doesn't seem to be anywhere in N.A. where this kind of information is set down in plain terms.

Gathering together what we could find in old ditto sheets, letters, tapes, from the literature of other fellowships such as ours, and from our own experience, we have tried to find answers to some of our own questions and to clarify some of our misconceptions. The following is a pamphlet about the service structure of N.A. as we understand it. Its purpose is to express, in simple terms, basic ideas about how we as members and servants of N.A. relate to each other and to N.A. as a whole. It is our hope that this pamphlet will become part of our literature, available to all members; and that, in some small way, it will help ensure the continuation and growth of our fellowship.

Yours in Fellowship,

A Group of Concerned Members

copyright 1976 C.A.R.E.

Narcotics Anonymous

World Service Office

P.O. Box 622

Sun Valley, CA 91352

DEDICATION

This presentation of the Service Structure of Narcotics Anonymous is dedicated to the following proposition:

To assure that no addict seeking recovery need die without having had a chance to find a better way of life, from this day forward may we better provide the necessary services.

Our N.A. Symbol

Simplicity is the keynote of our symbol; it follows the simplicity of our fellowship. We could find all sorts of occult and esoteric connotations in the simple outlines, but foremost in our minds were easily understood meanings and relationships.

The outer circle denotes a universal and total program that has room within for all manifestations of the recovering and wholly recovered person.

The square, whose lines are defined, is easily seen and understood; but there are other unseen parts of the symbol. The square base denotes Goodwill, the ground of both the fellowship and the member of our society. Actually, it is the four pyramid sides which rise from this base in a three dimensional figure that are the Self, Society, Service and God. All rise to the point of Freedom.

All parts thus far are closely related to the needs and aims of the addict seeking recovery and the purpose of the fellowship seeking to make recovery available to all. The greater the base, as we grow in unity in numbers and in fellowship, the broader the sides and the higher the point of freedom. Probably the last to be lost to freedom will be the stigma of being an addict. Goodwill is best exemplified in service and proper service is "Doing the right thing for the right reason." When this supports and motivates both the individual and the fellowship, we are fully whole and wholly free.

INTRODUCTION

The purpose of this pamphlet is to express, in simple terms how we, as members and servants of Narcotics Anonymous, relate to one another and to N.A. as a whole; and to present an ideal Service Structure for N.A. in such a way that we can strive to improve our fellowship, and better fulfill our primary purpose of carrying the message of recovery to the addict who still suffers.

N.A. is a Twelve and Twelve program borrowed from the A.A. fellowship. In fact, three of the first committee of five were also members of A.A., who wanted to make this proven program of recovery available to addicts. So why, you may ask, don't we just use A.A.'s structure and be done with it? This would probably be a good idea except that we are not A.A.; our needs, despite the similarities, are to a certain extent different. (As addicts, the progression of our illness is normally much more rapid that alcoholism. How many alcoholics have you heard who have at some time in their lives been reasonably successful in business or family relationships? On the other hand, how many addicts have ever had anything even resembling a successful business or family relationship? This is just an example of how our basic patterns are subtly different.) We are precluded from directly using any part of the A.A. program other than the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions; and finally in order for N.A. to survive we must be autonomous, we must have a fellowship and program of our own.

In the early days of N.A. we had what have been called "rabbit" meetings; held sporadically in different places at different times. At this time with only one or two N.A. meetings in existence, a specific structure for N.A. wasn't needed and really wasn't wanted. Soon N.A. grew, and permanent meetings were established, but because these were few in number and all were located in the Los Angeles area, there was still no real need for any established service structure. However, N.A. has continued to grow. As groups began opening up in population centers other than Los Angeles, we began to feel the need for some kind of structure. Intergroup or General Service Committees came into being in various locations, each trying to take care of business on a local level, without too much regard for N.A. as a whole.

In the last 5 years, this approach has sort of backfired. The unity necessary for personal recovery has been in short supply. Each group or area moved in its own direction -- usually apart. The very existence of N.A. was again seriously threatened as it was in the 1950's when the traditions were ignored. Some positive action has been taken to try to solve this problem, conventions were held, a World Service Office opened, and lines of communication shakily established. We can see that these attempts have paid off to a certain extent. Groups in various areas are starting to work together, much of the petty bickering seems to have disappeared and it seems that many members, in all areas, are trying to establish a better environment for sobriety [in AA this word means a balanced state of mind in abstinence from the drug alcohol - this term was dropped as N.A. developed in lieu of "recovery"] in N.A. The strength and unity of purpose evident at the last N.A. Convention shows we are making progress. Maybe this is because for the first time, we now find many members with long-term sobriety [recovery] active in the meetings and in the fellowship. It's no longer a rarity to find members with years clean rather than only weeks or months. Perhaps some of the personal maturity gained in living drug-free has started to have an effect on N.A. as a whole.

Despite this progress, we are still at a very critical stage of the "coming of age" process. Today large, active fellowships are developing in several population centers and new groups are starting up in many areas throughout the United States and in foreign countries. N.A. is growing, and with this growth the need for unity and communication increases. The old adage that a house divided cannot stand applies to N.A. as well as any other group. Right now we don't seem to have any unifying structure or clear-cut lines of communication for N.A. as a whole. What structure there is, only functions on a local level and our vital lines of communication have often been both hard to locate and as changeable as the weather. It is our sincere hope that this presentation of the service structure of our fellowship, as we understand it, will help to fill in some of the gaps that separate us; and that in some small way we can contribute to the growth and future of N.A.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like u here in SR I havent had a drink
of alcohol since 8-11-90. For that
Im truely grateful.

Here in Houston we r getting ready
for some cooler weather,,,,but it has
to rain first....rain is the way i wash
my car... : ) i just pull it outside...
let the rain hit my car then pull it
in the garage and wipe it down....

What does this all mean....well with the
rain to wash my car, it allowed me to
have a clean back window to place a new
blue AA symbol on it.... : )

The symbol represents a wonderful program
I been with for 16 yrs now. I also have a
license plate with ONE DAY AT A TIME AND
JUST FOR TODAY ON IT.

Im proud to represent something that
saved my life. It allows others who are
in the program to see it and to know
they r not alone.

Do u have an AA/NA symbol on ur car, on ur
finger, around ur neck, on ur keychain?

What does it mean to u to have it out
for others to see it?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

The NA logo is now a permanat fixture in the middle of my chest to remind me every moring when I take a shower that I am an addict and I can not sucessfully use drugs.....it was also a celebration of my 30 days clean.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the tree lucky

it is awesome how God works in my recovery.on losing my dad 2 days ago,
i was thinking of greg,who wrote the tree,and the things i learned from him about grieving.i grieved greg when he died and left me sponsorless.but i got a new one one in a few days and still have him now.
the symbol allows me to find balance in my recovery.
keeps me from being obsessive.
when i allow it to
Old 10-12-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dalin, im sorry to hear of the passing of ur dad. I myself have not experienced a huge lose in my life just yet....i will hope by learning for u guys about the time for grieving then time for rejoicing....the power of our own HP's and the program to carry us thru trying times in our lives.

Ur strength courage and hope will carry on each day with u as u stay sober/clean.

Blake.....the symbol on ur chest....thats a new one for me....i mean i had not heard of anyone doing that before.....i think that is cool, yet as long as u know it is just a symbol and that u working ur program on a daily bases and living it thru ur daily life is what will keep u clean ans sober...right?

A symbol is just a symbol and the spirit of the program will live within u always. : )
Old 11-14-2006, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im bumping this topic up for u to share ur
own ESH with us and the many newer
members just joining SR.