Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 31

Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Got great news today, mom's,step mom's, lung cancer can be treated with immunotherapy. We will still have to deal with the COPD but, things should get better.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Administrator

That is great news UP

D
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

That must be a relief for you all, UP. Great news!

It's Friday morning, I'm in for the Bargain!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

In too.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 08-18-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

That does. sound like great news Up !

It's been smokin' hot when it's not raining this week . Pushing a mower yesterday with a good quality respirator mask was almost surreal after an hour or so . Was able to finish up most of the bush hogging on the riding mower today .
Should make it a little easier for the stray cats dragging snacks ( garbage ) from the condo's dumpsters next door .

Manager from work called this afternoon during a water break and asked if I could work tonight . It's like being on vacation with the AC here tonight !?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Tops, what exactly is "bush hogging"? I'm guessing it's clearing through some overgrown areas, a bit like working through a jungle with a machete? It does sound like pretty hard work in the heat. I think I might need to go bush hogging in my vegetable patch

My cousin has just left to drive back to the airport. We had a lovely day, went for a walk and chatted about life in general. It's been good to see her.
Hoping to have an early dinner tonight, with some fresh, organic home grown beans and carrots. The raised beds have been really successful, I'll definitely get more up and running for next year.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

This is bush hogging free.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Ah....thanks UP.
That is heavy duty machete work indeed! The slugs in the veggy patch wouldn't like that

Hope you're having a good day, and that your step mum is doing well
Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderful progression with your gardening Free !

Everything I've ever read about successful gardens suggest to start with more modest ( manageable ) square footage and expand as the years go by.

( since you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about gardening ,.... I'll clamp up about anything else I may have read in a book !?? )

Up, ...that's a nice set-up on the tractor ! I've just been setting my blades on the riding mower pretty high so it won't get bogged down . With this persistant daily rain ,....the taller weed beds are about waist high in places .

May have about 15 or 29 varieties of local plants ( weeds ) .

When I neglected to pull them one summer,... I discovered some fast growing taller ones produce beautiful small white blossoms in the fall that attract a ton of bees and migratory butterflies

There's another giant fast growing plant that produces berries and the deer come back week after week to munch it's large leaves during the fall. Two of those plants I've intentionally mowed around are about 10 feet tall already ,...and maybe 6 to 8 ft. across .

Another busy night at work ,..... so.ooo ready to get outta this place tonight ,...only two hours to go !
Old 08-19-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

What a long night !??
It's almost 2:30 am and still checking folks in ,....apparently the N/S interstate ( I-95 ) coming down from the Boston,- New York area had substantial traffic delays
Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Have a good sleep, Tops. Sounds like you're ready for a few days off now?

I had to smile about your comments about my gardening prowess - I'm definitely no expert. My garden grows despite my efforts rather than because of my efforts!

In fact I struggle to think of any activity that I actually excel in. But, fortunately, life has been good to me despite my many shortcomings.

I've just finished 40 minutes with my skipping rope in the garage (I was actually skipping with it, not just sitting next to it, btw). It's always good to raise my energy levels before driving down to see my parents. Dad can be a bit depressing with his apocalyptic stories of impending doom.

Hope everyone finishes the weekend strong.
"Later' s"
Old 08-20-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Dad can be a bit depressing with his apocalyptic stories of impending doom.

"Later' s"
Be sure and keep a few notes outlining several of his stories Free ,...he may make an interesting character to weave into a short story or novel one day .

G'dnight all ,..
Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I've just finished 40 minutes with my skipping rope in the garage (I was actually skipping with it, not just sitting next to it, b
I suspect a lot of folks may not know how demanding 40 minutes skipping can be !?? ....that's beyond impressive Free !

There was one guy on the basketball team who could handle a rope pretty good . We started every practice skipping to Sweet Georgia Brown ,.... (( Harlem Globe Trotters signature warm up ))

.....and 5 minutes seemed like a really long time . 40 minutes sounds like marathon territory !

....I may be the only one who's ever even heard of the HG Trotters,....they're a kind of entertainment basketball circus comedic thing,... that's been around forever it seems . (warning , a few minutes of this older youtube is probably too much,, .....just couldn't find a short clip )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9wO_rJrQLI
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

What amazing footage, Tops. And to have a female welcomed in to the team really is a delight. I can't think of anything comparable to that over here, possibly because I think the British public might be a bit more reserved and would be offended if someone (however famous) stole their shoes.....lol. I do admire the wonderfully free spirits you seem to have in America. "Land of the free".

I like the idea of writing a short story one day - and I'm sure my dad would love the idea of spreading his message around the globe, that "we're all doomed" I'm not sure it would be in the interests of humanity though...we might find the entire human population decide to end it all, just through reading one little story. I'd feel responsible for the extinction of the human race. My spiritual practice would suffer terribly.....

But on the other hand, if the money's good......?

I'll stop fantasizing and get ready for work now.
Have a great day all.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Has anyone seen the eclipse in the US today?

Our news is, that Big Ben has been stopped today. It needs some renovation work, and it won't ring again for 4 years! (Except for New year's eve and armistice day).
Old 08-21-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Has anyone seen the eclipse in the US today?

Our news is, that Big Ben has been stopped today. It needs some renovation work, and it won't ring again for 4 years! (Except for New year's eve and armistice day).
The news about Big Ben was on today !
...glad to hear they'll still be able to ring it twice a year .

The cloud cover was heavy this afternoon ,....and the path for the "total eclipse " was about 90 miles N ,....so it was looking like dusk here for about 30 minutes !

Believe they mentioned the next one here in the States will travel NE from Mexico across to Rhode Island and out to sea in 2024.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Will the next one pass close to where you are Tops?

It's really worth seeing, we had a total eclipse here in Cornwall, I think in 1999. I lived on Bodmin Moor at the time, and climbed one of the Tors to see it. It was quite magical.

I've had to order a new skipping rope from Amazon, as I've almost worn out my old one. I've been using an Adidas rope, it's been pretty good, and they're not too expensive.

I know ordering stuff from Amazon isn't really very environmentally friendly, but it's great getting a parcel through the post.

Hope everyone's week has started well
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

That Adidas rope looks like a good one Free !

Glad to see it's nicely weighted,..... light ropes are not much fun after using a heavier one imo . Less dense ropes are almost silent ,..instead of that nice whirring sound a heavier rope can give .

(Watched a video review of it )

This guy demonstrating several jumps was pretty good .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ni5-1i9f44

Most of the time I usually jumped with what he calls "fast skip " gradually moving forward and backwards on the floor . He is able to "double under " very easy ! He didn't show any crossover skipping ,....but crossing over would break the monotony some ,....esp. once I got the hang of skipping more than once with the crossover .
....it just requires reversing your wrist rotation .
One good thing in the demo showed how little space is actually required he needs to pass the rope under with good timing ,.......which can speed things up, ..for sure .
Old 08-23-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

My new rope actually arrived today!
After watching that video, I've just been outside to try the "double under". I felt sure I'd be able to do it ......but disappointingly, I couldn't quite manage it. It will be my next challenge! He did make it look easy.

I'll try the crossover jump this weekend, when I have time to let any bruising fade

It's such a great way to keep fit.

Hope your day's going well Tops