Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 31

Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Yes, it's definitely all about planning and preparation. Stressful situations are inevitable, but they don't have to turn in to triggers. Over time even the stressful situations seem less stressful.

It took me ages to get some interests back in my life, but now I have no idea how I ever had time to drink!

It'll take a little while Izzy, but each day is a day closer to getting your life back.
Keep it going.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

When I started on a bike ride Sat. ,....it was mostly inspired by the lingering pain in my left knee from a PA digging around in there with a needle on Wed.
Didn't have any particular distance goals ,... ( never do , really ) but ended up grinding the last half of a 13 mile ride taking 74 minutes in total .

Now that's pretty darn slow about any metric !?
Was able to shave it ( 13 miles ) down to 65 minutes this afternoon before work . Still hit a wall about 7 miles in ,.... the route was a little smoother than the one Sat.

Will stick to this shorter ride until I can at least. get through it more consistently .

Truly excited about tomorrow night being my last shift on a full time schedule . Requested a vacation day next Sun. night because of the 8 hours I accrued working full shifts the last two holidays ,.....

If I get that Sun. off , ...this coming week will be to work Sat. night and Monday night ,.....then go to 2 day work weeks going forward.

That's like not working at all ( imo ) !!!!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Tops, the fact you're actually getting on a bike is impressive enough, after all your injuries! Shaving 9 minutes off your ride is amazing. I would build up slowly, and just enjoy watching your body healing and getting stronger. It really is a miraculous process.

You've reminded me that I've not been out for a run lately. I'll be slow, so I'll take my own advice and build up slowly

How fast would you like to be?

We have a really hard 5k park run near where I live, it's rugged, and lots of steep inclines, finishing with a gruelling hill at the end. I've only managed to run it in 37 minutes - but I'd really like to do it in under 30 one day. Perhaps we could build up slowly together? No pressure. What do the medics say about building up your cycling endurance, have they given you a plan?

Great news on your "semi retirement", Tops. Enjoy!

Have a great day all.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just wanted to touch base.
I'm taking a few days off guys - no problems, just a break

Be back in a few
Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Enjoy the break Dee !

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
How fast would you like to be?
That's a pretty darn good rhetorical question Free !!

What do the medics say about building up your cycling endurance, have they given you a plan?
Our society over here has become close to 70% overweight with about half of those folks clinically obese the last 50 years ( with the trend heading in the wrong direction ,..still )
....... following failed "expert dietary advise" from our medical and dietary professional organizations .

Like you , ... just "listening " to my body seems to be the best way forward .

That , and keeping an open mind while reading ,.... learning how some successful folks approach nutrition and their workouts .
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Have a restful break Dee. Thank you so much for all you do on SR <3

Tops, I've been reading Dr Gregers book "How not to die". It's so interesting how our governments support unhealthy food industries financially. It's a crazy system. He's bringing out a cookery book in December, based on his "daily dozen". It's all plant based, which I know doesn't suit everyone, but it's definitely one for me.

I just need to tighten up my weekly meal planning, to avoid the "make do" evenings - that's where my good intentions seem to get unstuck.

Onward and upward, good healthy futures for all the Fools
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

wow Tops- That is very impressive. I've heard my whole life about how important exercise is- so many benefits. If I don't do it first thing, never happens so planning to get up extra early when work starts. Its amazing to me how an hour of a hard workout actually increases endurance instead of wearing me out, long term. And as a teacher being on my feet all day .... I'll need it!

have a good break, Dee, you so deserve it!

I'm at a coffee shop with my son - first time to check in - organized classroom today. Getting excited. Going to decorate, make it cozy.

We have watched SO MANY movies this summer, but my fav was "Wonder Woman". Have any of you seen it? So good. There is a scene that made me cry- made me think of fighting those things that seem impossible... and coming out a bad - a. very well done

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Excited for you Izzy enjoy your evening

Yes TS, your come back is amazing, that's quite a ride. I'm glad you are able to cut back to 2 days, will be a relief I'm sure....enjoy.....any new home renewal plans? Goodnight

Wishing you the best Free on your new job venture, I have a good feeling for you
Have a good day
Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Enjoy your break Dee
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you for the confidence boost, Mariah!

When do your classes start Izzy. I'm excited for you

I'm trying a new recipe tonight. I had some tofu and mushrooms that needed eating up, so I'm doing a tofu mushroom roast. I know it doesn't sound that appetizing, but the beauty of using up odds and ends is appealing. I'll let you know if it's compost material later!

Tops, have you tried to play the guitar yet? Is your hand up to it?

I need to dust off the piano at some point - it's looking a bit forlorn.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Well, it was actually surprisingly palatable. A bit on the stodgy side, but all in all not a bad gastronomic experience at all
Old 07-26-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi All......I'm on the eve of 4 months sobriety, matching my longest stretch. I don't know what it is about that 4 month mark but the AV, weighing in heavy. I will get myself busy here & commit to celebrating my sobriety & just not drink. Spent the work day preparing for a camp out tomorrow night & will be quite a bit of work & a bit non stop from tomorrow am I till about 1 PM Friday. I'm just so ready for some time off......almost there
Old 07-26-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Free- I'm completing an "Alternative Certification" program. The coursework is an "add-on" to my bachelors so that I can teach. I have 4 months to finish 6 courses but I'm really wanting to get them out of the way now, before the school year begins.

With 5 kids starting school as well(all in different sports), it's a challenge!

But I'm still not over the novelty of it all- that a bus picks them up, right where they live, they have great teachers (for the most part), have enjoyed the social aspect of it all ... and I enjoy teaching ... and get to make money doing it! Win for all

Mariah- 4 months is incredible, can't imagine ...

Would love to be celebrating a sober evening with you!

It's (finally) raining here, my son's friend is visiting and we're about to have tacos ...

Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Busy Izzy that's a full load for sure, remember to take care of yourself
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hello Fools
Hope you all are well.

I'm doing ok. Still clean, sober and tobacco free.
I had a procedure on my back about a month ago and it has helped a lot. I still have some pain and have to do some work on my core but, all in all things should work out. Thankfully I have a high pain tolerance.

In bad news, my step mother was in the hospital recently. She has COPD and now they found lung cancer. She is waiting for more results before she decides if she will fight it. She watched my dad die of cancer and how rough chemo was on him.
Plus a bunch of other BS here. Makes me want to run away but I need to be here for mom. I'm the only other licensed driver in the house.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

UP, it's great to hear how you're doing. But I'm sorry to hear that your step mum is so poorly. I hope there are some good treatment options for her.
It sounds like you'll be supporting her through whatever she will be facing. That will be a great comfort to her.

I hope you have a fast recovery from the back surgery. After such a long time of waiting you must feel like a new man.

Mariah, congratulations on 4 months of sobriety. This is perhaps the time to recommit to your sober goals, and leave that 4 month hurdle behind for good?
It's just the AV, using it as an excuse to tempt you in to questioning your resolve - laugh at it and carry on with your journey. The AV is getting weaker, its hoping to strengthen itself with this last ditch attempt to derail you. You're on top of your game now, you don't need to listen to it anymore.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Already recovered from the procedure, it was minimally invasive. They insert a big needle into the vertebrae, insert a balloon to decompress the vertebrae then inject a bone cement to stabilize it.

Congrats on 4 months Mariah.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good to hear from you UP & glad they finally did the surgery. So sorry about your Step Mom......a tough row & you both will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Camp out with residents tonight, at camp site now setting up. Hotter than blazes!!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well with your camping expedition Mariah, your residents are rather intrepid. They must enjoy their adventures with you so much. It won't be long before they're white water rafting on the rapids with you!

UP, that procedure sounds quite straightforward (as back surgery goes... I mean, it's not something I would attempt given my basic sewing skills ....although I could probably manage the balloon bit ) are you pain free now or is there still more for you to do?

I'm just waiting for my dinner to go down before I lay out my yoga mat. It's a great way to end the day. I'm not particularly flexible, but the stretches do seem to relax my body, and I'm seeing a slight improvement each time I do it. Like everything, it's a case of persevering, and unfortunately I've realised that perseverance isn't one of my key strengths (unless we're talking sobriety of course.. ).

Tops, hope you're enjoying your days off this week!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm probably 60% better as far as pain goes. It is a world of difference.
We are going to go with this and see how things work out. Any further work will involve major back surgery, screws and plates. The doctor and I agree that any added benefit might not be worth the risk.