Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 10

Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Just going to find the scientist. Don't see too many women scientists in the emoticons except the smiley flowery ones. I dunno maybe there are some?

Introducing! Mad Male Scientist

Could be a girl in drag.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Old 06-22-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

You sound really busy Nands, gardening and mopping. I immediately felt guilty, and thought I should be up and about, but then remembered the time lag and realised I'd really only just woken up. I found forgiveness

Forgiving self the more difficult, hey? It's happening.

Never did like to see a full stop after a smiley.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yeah ... I didn't get going till almost 11 am!

Now I saw that and thought Accountant (my old profession).

You know I love those Sirens that lure sailors to their grave! Very good choice for the AV

OK .. you made me think of this ... thought of it several times lately for here, but now I can remember to post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM
Old 06-22-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Was going to say kenton, and as you can see from my avatar the reason I love volcanos (from a distance

That's molten iron being poured from that crucible before being converted into steel. Now you know the history of my avatar. My father worked in foundries. Hard Yakka.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I was away for a bit starting sprinklers ... it's harder than it sounds

Now off to the store to get chicken for dinner. My neighbor's raise chickens to lay eggs ... maybe we could just ask for one of theirs

OH .. my niece is in the peace corp in Liberia and she had to catch a chicken, slaughter it and cook it for a "chief" (I think) who came through to visit the town... he was an important person anyway and it is an "honor" to be the one to do the chicken thing for them. They have very little meat mostly rice so it is a special meal indeed!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

translator is broken again .... founderies and Hard Yakka....
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Foundries are factories that can have huge furnaces with the job being to melt to steel, or some other metal, gold, glass too. The molten metal is then converted into 'things'.

Hard Yakka means hard work. We used to have a men's store that sold Yakka building and industrial work clothing, the term Hard Yakka emerged.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Foundries grew out of the Industrial Revolution.

Mass production took place not like the old blacksmith and forge.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I bought a chain link hair decoration once .. hand made by a blacksmith from a renesance festival. Wow ... that was way back in 1980!

You know someday they are gonna refer to our last century as the "technology revolution".

I like many of the benefits (like SR), but it really does mean lost jobs and higher expectations by bosses, companies and consumers....

Sigh ....

Chris is so into the current political TV here (no comments on political views please), and I find it hard to keep from getting sucked in. I need a break from politics, and yet I don't want to be in the dark...not sure why as there is little that can be done by me at this point.

I think regardless of political sides, the being too tuned in to politics or other news can become very difficult to deal with and pull a person away from the everyday life that needs nurturing and tending.

I can vote, I can protest, I can boycott for or against whatever, but that really seems like that is about it. I have to remember to do what I can and then let go of what I can't do anything about at this point.

Sigh ....

I'm actually having a very good day and haven't watched too much so that's great ... wish I could be that way every day
Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Posting to sort my mind a bit.

The getting to know each other's families of my brother and his (soon) wife was nice.

But it was so draining.

I had a stressful day cause I had to get lots of things finished and done and until 5pm it still wasn't sure I could pick up the mug I made for him in time (they still had to burn it) and dinner started at 6.

Everything worked out just fine in the end but not knowing made me stress.

Also I have my period and heavy stomach cramps. Sorry that's a bit TMI maybe but it makes everything so much worse.

At the dinner my dad drank. Not just that one glass of Chardonnay like he told me in hospital he'd have from now on. He drank 1.5 bottles of wine. Alone. No one else had wine. Part of me expected it i guess, part of me is so disappointed, part of me worried. He's lost so much weight in hospital, he looks so tiny and fragile now. I think he weighs less then 60kg probably. It broke my heart to see him drink that much already again and still saying he didn't drink much this night. He's not even out of hospital for a whole week and I think I was naive enough to hope he'd moderate at least for a while. I so hoped he could control it.

And another thing that was really difficult for me tonight was, that I couldn't go to my AA home group. It was at the same time like the dinner. First of all I miss my group and could've really benefited from the serenity I get in that meeting. Second, I feel like I am being a slack and not going to the meeting means not being accountable and bribing me closer to relapsing.

And lastly I just have a day where I feel like everyone drinks, just not me and I feel sorry for myself and think about how unfair it is. I am totally lacking my serenity and acceptance skills. Oh and also had an argument with BF. Not the worst but well it didn't help me feeling better.

Oh and brother asked why I BF and I are so strict with not drinking and I didn't wanna tell him the whole story (there'd be MANY questions and I'd probably have to bring up lots of family dirt, didn't wanna do that at his wedding obviously) so I just said it was for health reasons. He didn't get it and thought it was amusing, like we're being hipsters who decide not to eat gluten or lactose for lifestyle reasons. That annoys my ego a bit but I still prefer it that way than telling the whole truth yet.

It's 3 am and I have to get up in 5 hours. Better off to bed. Just needed to do something recovery related. I've been thinking a lot about you girls today, especially about you Kenton. I hope everything's okay with you and that the AV ****** off and you have a lovely and relaxing time.

Good night! Xxx
Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Anticipatory anxiety is horrible kev and so glad it worked out for you, and as you say, "everything was fine."

We (I) put ourselves through so much unnecessary stress only to find that everyone went home tired, but happy.

And even if it doesn't work out well, still rather be dealing with it sober.

I didn't say it at the time kev but had reservations about your Dad, my Dad was the same, and really nothing we can do, nor could have done that would have changed the outcome. I hope he does look at it a bit more closely.

The letting go of that expectation within myself is really liberating. I am not responsible for my father. I love him (he's dead now), but am not responsible for him.

I think I've been carrying that baggage even years after his death. The shame of his alcoholism became mine.

And I think my father would understand that if still alive. He was a drunk, but not stupid.

Nothing much around in those days to help, shame and judgement were the medicine.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Weird hey, how it becomes a topic of conversation that we are simply choosing not to drink. Man, get a life.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Kev,

I'm sorry you couldn't get to your home group meeting, but you know you were being responsible. I know in my group there is an emphasis on that now we are sober we need to take care of family obligations and sometimes a meeting is missed. I don't feel that missing one meeting leads me toward a drink. I've somehow reached a point where that guilt trip doesn't ring true. I suspect you may be being harder on your self than your sponsor would be

Some days are harder than others, but fortunately just like good days end, so do bad days. I hope you can set it aside as just an off kilter day. The situation with your dad must have been very hard I know that I put plenty of family through that wringer ... gonna quit, quit, start, quit, moderate...and on and on as they watched on hopefully or completely defeated depending on the day. It helped me a lot that when I couldn't seem to follow through on sobriety my AA friend, Connie, use to always figure I had a chance of getting sober again, and yet wasn't too surprised and not disappointed when I failed. She cared, but she got it ... sometimes it takes people longer to get it and sometimes they never do ... doesn't make them any less of an important person.

On the brighter side .... Thank god for menopause! despite all the heck it can put you through, at least the dmn periods and pain stop! And no more fear of unplanned pregnancy ... although truth is I never did have sex after I got fixed.

At one point after my surgery I was sitting with my 2 female fixed dogs and my son and we decided to declare the house a "Uterus Free Zone"

thank you so much for posting and I hope that you will have a good sleep and a better feeling when you wake up

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

What you say about getting over the guilt Nands came right on home to me, and true for you too kev, I think.

I'm still staggering with it but am learning how to relinquish it without feeling guilty.

Classic.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I miss you guys. Just wanted to say hello. I love Italy. I'm still sober and I thank all of you for that. I need to get better wifi. That is all xxxx
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the rest of your break Kenton - we'll be here when you get back

D
Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

A

well... major catastrophe (stamps feet and screams)

My computer was not doing well for some time now...I knew... I didn't do the back up to my WD drive....

It broke about 5 hours ago and now I have had to go back to the original state. Lost everything...

1. my budget
2. my calendar with all my appointments, chores, reminders, I'm lost without it!
3. Poetry, Journals, pictures
4. all my software will need to be re-loaded or downloaded
5. all my favorites, all my saved tabs on the web
6. all my PASSWORDS!!!!

I'm devastated ... but ... not tempted to drink ... just to shoot myself in the head (just kidding about that last).

Can I be any more clear about how I feel????
Old 06-23-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

No point trying to put a positive spin on that one Nands, I'm so sorry. Even your poetry and journals. So sorry.

I know from experience that these catastrophes do fade with time and we pick ourselves up somehow and it doesn't feel as bad as when first happening. Time does help, just start pulling it all together again.

Good that you didn't even think about drinking. More subject matter for your next poem.

Really Nands the only thing IS acceptance and maybe write a screaming banshee poem to hit it out there. Do you have "poetry slams" in America?. Slam it

Just pick yourself up and start to organise a new diary and journal and all of your appontments etc.

Is there some way that some computer nerd could retrieve it for you?

How did you go with your therapy session?

:
Old 06-23-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey Kenton, international traveller.

Hope you are still having a great time. And the pizza?

How cool you made it without alcohol. It's bs hey?

I've heard from all that Italy is beautiful.