# 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Steely.
We're here for you

D
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Steely!
I don't know what to say really. I'm here for you and thinking of you. I love you
Old 07-08-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

So sorry, Steely. Hugs.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Steely, first chance I've had to log on today and just seen your post. I'm so sorry Steely. I'm here, we're all here for you. Wish I could be there to give you a massive hug. I'm thinking of you Steely xxx
Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and thanks everyone.

There is no possibility that I will drink my mother would be disappointed.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Steely, have you got anyone with you? I'm thinking about you all the time and wishing I could do something to help you. I'm so glad you are determined not to drink. Please lean on us when you feel up to talking about it. I know we're a long way away geographically but we're only a few clicks away. I'll do anything I can to help xxxx
Old 07-08-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your loss Steely my thoughts are with you xx
Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Sending big hugs Steely. Keep taking care of yourself
Old 07-09-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Hi Steely, just checked and it's 5pm in Australia so thought it might be a good time to post to say hello. I know that after dad died, sometimes I wanted to talk about it and sometimes I didn't so I'll take your lead.

In far more trivial news...... Ananda, a coconut shy is basically when coconuts are balanced on post things and you pay to throw balls at them and if you knock a coconut down, you win it. It's surprising good fun. Even if you do end up with coconuts you never really wanted.

A tombola is when items like bottles, toys etc are all labelled with numbered tickets ending with 5 or 0. You put your hand into a box with loads of folded up tickets and if you pull out one ending in 5 or 0 you win the corresponding prize.

Next time you're in the UK in the summer Ananda, head to a summer fair. They're all over the place this time of year and the excitement of a summer fair is overwhelming!! (did you detect the sarcasm there? !!). Actually I love a summer fair. And an Easter egg hunt and a Christmas night and a fireworks display and a Halloween party. Any season, any event, I'm there. But now I'm there and sober whilst I'm there which is miles better.

Love to everyone xxxx
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

It didn't even occur to me you might drink Steely - but we're here for support

D
Old 07-09-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Good morning.

Steely - My hope is that you are surrounded by supportive family and others during this time. I'm sure there is much to do and posting here will come later. Just, as Kenton said, know we are all here for you not only when you post, but when you are out dealing with the world.

love you much!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Kenton,

It is strange that I don't remember us attending a fair while we were living in England, but I do remember attending a highland game during the 10 days we drove around in Scotland.

I very much remember Guy Fawks day every year!!!

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot!

(Truth is I remember it as "gunpowder, treason and smoke" ... memories can be such error filled versions of the truth!)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

It's nice to see you pop in Plenny, Poppy and Jill!

(You too Dee and Kev!)

Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Quiet on here today, hope everyone is ok xx
Old 07-09-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Well I'm still here dear Kenton, and thank you Peace for your kind words. Welcome to the Nobenders.

I don't really have a lot to say as much to do, but am talking with Mum and she's going to help me write her eulogy. It is most humble and refined.

Thanks for being there my friends.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

appreciate you checking in Steely (hug)

Yes ... this is a good time for you to take some time to be at peace with mum.

We stand by you
Old 07-09-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

You're an amazing writer Steely, I'm sure the eulogy will be perfect and your mum will be so proud.

I wish I lived closer and could do something practical to help. You've been such an awesome friend and I wish I could do more. Whenever you want to talk, we're here. Lots of love xxx
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hi Peace!

I'm ok as far as what I would call "cravings" .. but not to mince words that don't matter ... I think I know what you mean

I have had episodes of reoccurring medium to strong thoughts of drinking or on the edges of it on and off over the last 3 months.

Mostly they seem to come after seeing my mom or when stressful stuff is going on. At this point I am able to recognize them and dismiss them easily. I guess yesterday is the first time I played with the thought for about 10 seconds.

The thoughts that happen are not about actually I want to drink and imagining it, but more about suddenly noticing every liquor store that I go close to. I'm not real happy about the last bout of that yesterday, but it seems that works best is to simply acknowledge the thought (not run) face on and just sorta walk away from it mentally without fear or anger. If I act afraid of the thought it seems to make it grow. That is what happened yesterday when it gained ground for 10 seconds.

This probably sounds really weird! I'm glad you are doing yoga. I bet that is a great way to create space between you and the cravings. Oh .. I think of the drinking thoughts and drawing as being the obsession with it as a "cure" which it isn't. I think of the craving as the inability to stop once I start. But really that is a bit of wordsmithing cause I think we all know what we are talking about... it is sorta why we are here
Old 07-10-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Glad the cravings are under control Peace. Yoga and chocolate sounds like a great combo! Mint choc chip ice cream has become my friday/Saturday night treat. Tastes miles nicer than wine and doesn't make me cry. When I think about it, wine was never a treat. It was a complete and utter nightmare!!

Having a bad day today. Won't go into details but I've got something wrong with my eyes. Lost most the central vision in my right eye last year but it's okay because my left eye is ok. Had my regular check up at eye hospital this morning and the retina in my left eye has a brand new lump on it. They're not sure if this is a load of vessels which have grown in the wrong place (which would probably be ok) or of its full of fluid (which won't be ok). My choices are taking scary drugs with loads of side effects that might not work or waiting and praying I don't lose anymore vision and rushing to hospital if I do. I don't want to take the drugs but I also don't want to go blind. Tough call.

On my way home now with loads of stuff to read about the drugs. At least I don't drink anymore. At least now I can make a reasoned, sober decision. Hope everyone is ok. Thinking of you all xxxx
Old 07-10-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Kenton

I'm glad you are making a sober decisions. I'm not sure if the doctor told you, but keep in mind that when they do a study on the drug if even ONE person gets a headache, they have to say it is a side effect even if it wasn't necessarily a cause.

I'm on lots of meds (15 a day) and the "side effects" listed are endless on all. I try to listen to the doctor about what significant side affects happen and set aside the rest. also, over the years we have tried a number of medications, and when I get a side affect that is more than just a minor annoyance, I stop taking it and we do something else.

I've gotta go finish mowing the back and then get my disability paper in and call the office cause I'm late and I don't want them to automatically reject me