SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Under Club Part 59 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/411301-one-year-under-club-part-59-a.html)

Dee74 06-17-2017 04:49 AM

One Year and Under Club Part 59

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-58-a-20.html

D

STDragon 06-17-2017 05:27 AM

I was worried about the warm weather coming and drinking/yard work but so far it's not been a problem. I used to have to drink before I started any kind of project or yard work. Heck I even had to have a few in me just to take the dog for a walk.

HelenofTroy 06-17-2017 05:55 AM

Thanks Dee :)

stargazer016 06-17-2017 07:10 AM

Thanks for the new thread Dee!

Barbs 06-17-2017 12:51 PM

Thanks Dee!

tootsl1 06-18-2017 01:41 AM

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Barbs I'm glad the meditation helped. It's amazing how easily we can forget such a forceful tool. And your bosses words just go to show how everyone in the western world seems to see alcohol as a reward, normies and alkies both. It's no wonder we have such a struggle each time we 'achieve' something, like completing an unpleasant chore. It's important in the early days, to consider the end of a project, and how we will reward ourselves, before we begin. That way we can avoid some of the temptation, can be forearmed and have an alternative reward already in our back pocket.
After a ton of yard work yesterday, and a trip to the dump with my rickety trailer, my reward was a loooonng shower to get all the bits of greenery from places they had no right to find themselves! Felt cooler, refreshed cleaner and relaxed. ( still ached like buggery when I stood up after sitting down for five minutes though!!)

HelenofTroy 06-18-2017 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by tootsl1 (Post 6501909)
It's important in the early days, to consider the end of a project, and how we will reward ourselves, before we begin. That way we can avoid some of the temptation, can be forearmed and have an alternative reward already in our back pocket.

This is really good advice, toots. Thanks. :tyou

HelenofTroy 06-19-2017 10:15 AM

Ugh. I had a drinking dream last night and woke up feeling awful. My guess is it is to do with me going to a winery yesterday to bring visiting relatives from overseas on an outing. We had a really nice lunch there and then I bought a couple of bottles of my favourite wine to go with the dinner I am making for them today. I know I won't touch it but it is obviously on my mind.

Off to do some housework to clear my head.

Have a good one everyone.

tootsl1 06-20-2017 12:34 AM

I hope the house work helps Helen. I feel totally discombobulated for the entire day after some drinking dreams. We just have to accept that the drinking memories and thoughts will remain in our subconscious minds and will occasionally pop up in our sleep. We can't control them, but we can control what we do when we are awake.

HelenofTroy 06-20-2017 04:45 AM

Thanks Toots.

I got busy and was ok after that. My AV has been getting quite loud lately. I have had no problem ignoring it and I know (not think but know) I won't act on it, but it's there.

I was reflecting on the dinner when I woke up this morning and it went really well. When drinking, dinner would have been late and I would have been very tipsy (and loud!) by the time dinner was done. Instead my meal turned out perfectly (I rotisseried a couple of chickens on the bbq) and I of course had no hangover this morning, nor any regrets of being loud, obnoxious and repetitive. I have also gotten to the point that I am no longer hyper aware of the bottle of wine on the table. I had my own bottle of sparkling fruit juice and Mr. Troy had his Perrier but we all used wine glasses and it was a really nice dinner. A good time was had by all.

Later in the evening after our company left Mr. Troy and I sat outside watching a sheet lightening show. It was a really good night, and I feel great today. It's one more day that I am again so grateful that I found this site to help me on my journey.

Have a good one everyone!

PhoenixJ 06-20-2017 06:39 AM

:c011::c011::grouphug:

Barbs 06-20-2017 08:30 AM

Helen I'm so glad your dinner went well. I don't know if it's just the time of year when summer is just beginning as well as all the parties/cook outs, but drinking has been on my mind a lot lately. Like you, I know that I will not drink, but the thoughts are tough to squash sometimes.

My anxiety seems to have died down a bit and hubby and I are very excited to leave on vacation tomorrow night!

Hope everyone has a great day :)

tootsl1 06-21-2017 05:51 AM

Enjoy the vacay Barbs, try to stick close if you feel any AV moments.

Helen, is t it great when someone else might say " whoop-de-do, you went a whole meal without a drink, big deal" you can come here where others totally get what a challenge something like that can be and what an achievement it is to be looking back at it sober and happy. Great going!

stargazer016 06-21-2017 07:14 AM

Well done Helen. I haven't tried sitting through a dinner with wine on the table yet. I used to gulp a lot of chilled Chardonnay in the summer, and I don't know if even smelling it would be a trigger. Wine hangovers are among the worst, though. I am truly grateful not waking up each morning with a pounding head and drinking multiple cups of coffee trying to awake myself from the dead.

Have a great day all!

tootsl1 06-22-2017 12:07 AM

Yeah the sulphides in some cheap reds would really do my head in. So glad now that if I ever feel ill it's not self inflicted and I can totally feel sorry for myself!!

STDragon 06-22-2017 04:11 AM

I like how you put that toots, "it's not self inflicted and I can totally feel sorry for myself!! "

tootsl1 06-25-2017 01:40 AM

I hope all Undies are having a quiet time with your AVs, it's been a while since it's gone this quiet here!

HelenofTroy 06-25-2017 05:04 AM

Good morning folks.

Yes it has been quiet, Toots. I know I haven't been posting much mainly because there hasn't been much going on to post about. I do check in and read all my favourite threads several times a day.

I'm up at Mr. Troy's for the weekend. Thor loves it here, because there is lots of grassy open area to chase the ball and go for walks. My house has a cement backyard because of the pool - not ideal for a big German Shephard. We go to bed here listening to the frogs serenading and wake up to a peacock calling. As annoying as that must sound we love it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

RetiredGuy 06-25-2017 06:21 AM

Toots, The AV is still jabbering away in the background, but his voice is getting weaker and I can just barely understand him. Thanks for asking!

stargazer016 06-25-2017 06:49 AM

Sounds like fun Helen!

I was revisiting some old messages here on SR. I reread the congrats I received from my monthly thread when I hit 150 days. That seemed to be the most incredible milestone any of us could imagine. Looking at my phone this morning, I see that I am sitting at 800 days. As I have mentioned before, at times it seems as though I haven't had a drink in decades. Then there are times when it feels like I was drinking last week. The alcoholic brain defies logic at times.

I find that I am still evolving and learning each and every day. I think in early sobriety, I thought that I would eventually hit a point where I got it, I'm fixed up and done. Nope, it really is a continuing challenge that changes slowly from year to year but never comes to an end. Being able to grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually at my point of life is a pretty amazing thing. Never take it for granted.

Have a great day all!