Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 05-06-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and congrats to you as well Sandy!

Lol Tiles. I'm not sure exactly what Chris Cornell meant with those lyrics, but I am starting to look California a little. I'm down 20 pounds and getting tan from being outdoors so much.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Pretty long bike ride today. I went on a route that I used a lot when I was drinking and riding. I can't believe some of the things I did, including once I basically took a nap by the side of the trail and used my bike as a pillow. I'm sure people riding and walking past were amused by that if they figured out I was hammered.
I'm glad those days are over.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Thanks guys and congrats to you as well Sandy!

Lol Tiles. I'm not sure exactly what Chris Cornell meant with those lyrics, but I am starting to look California a little. I'm down 20 pounds and getting tan from being outdoors so much.
20 pounds is fantastic, JCNY. Can you believe all the positive changes, and really, we're not giving up anything by not drinking....it was a huge waste of time when you look back on it. Artificial fun.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Yes, Tiles a HUGE waste of time. Your story reminded me of the times I've ridden home absolutely plastered. I shudder at what could have happened to me in at those times. I can't even bare to think what people thought of me. I'm loving the smile on my face, Almost a smirk about how proud I am of myself. These feelings were few and far between but becoming a daily part of my life. A sober life is the best life for me without question!

Have a great day all 😊
Old 05-07-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

50 days for me too today!! Sitting in the airport departure lounge heading to a work conference. Oh how different my other work trips have been. I definitely would have had a drink at the airport. Feeling really strange. This is going to be a really weird trip. But I'm definitely not drinking NO WAY! love to everyone and congratulations on the milestones. xxx
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Happy for you, Mish!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

well done Mish - apologies for my earlier confusion :o)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Mish

D
Old 05-08-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well Done, Mish. Have a safe trip and enjoy it sober style! 😊
Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone celebrating milestones!!! And high fives to everyone on this board.

I had a pretty good feat of Ninjadom on Saturday. Drove to Philly to see an all-day metal show with a friend after starting the day with an argument with my wife. In the car on the way down, I was having severe "F it" thoughts and almost resolved to drink - and drink heavily - all day. I gave myself the gift of taking a time out, thinking things through, going through some prayer/meditation exercises in my head, and when we got to the show, I really had no desire to drink at all.

Alcohol was everywhere and drunkenness was out in full force, but I enjoyed the hell out of the show sober and drove home happy.

I was later bothered by my default "F it" mechanism going off in response to the argument with my wife + knowing that I'm going to an alcohol-fueled all-day-show. I felt like I was lucky that I was in a car and not actually near alcohol at the time. But, the bottom line is that I didn't drink, didn't actually come close to drinking, and learned about work I need to do in terms of my response to things.

With that said, however, an all-day metal show with alcohol everywhere isn't likely the best event to attend early in sobriety.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

" I gave myself the gift of taking a time out, thinking things through, going through some prayer/meditation exercises in my head"
- Awesome; beautiful gift, BetterIsBetter, well done!
Ninja on!
xx
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congrats on 51 days Mish.
Betterisbetter, good job going into the lions den and emerging in one piece. I think the key to maintaining sobriety is to know how to be around booze and drinking and mayhem and not be hermits and live our lives, but not give and drink. I'll bet you felt great at the end of the day and seeing a lot of pathetic drunk idiots running around while you remained in control of your life. For me, it's a great feeling to come home from a social event completely sober.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I saw Fleetwood Mac and Foo Fighters before I got sober on Feb. 3 last year, but already I was slowing down and I didn't drink during either show, and it was really nice not having to worry about being pulled over, and nice to be able to enjoy the shows and remember the performances. Being wasted at a concert is such a cliche and such an embarrassing, amateur thing to do.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good stuff BetterisBetter

D
Old 05-08-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Way to go Mish and BetterIsBetter!

I went to a concert recently and didn't drink. Nice not to even think about it. Should I wait on that long line again to buy another $12 beer before the show starts? F that!
Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I hope every Ninja's had a sober-tastic Monday.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Way to go Mish and BetterIsBetter!

I went to a concert recently and didn't drink. Nice not to even think about it. Should I wait on that long line again to buy another $12 beer before the show starts? F that!
Plus worrying about finding a bathroom during the second half of the show.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
For me, it's a great feeling to come home from a social event completely sober.
It totally is. I think it's because we now get to enjoy the event at night BUT ALSO look forward to the next day. For my entire adult life, I would enjoy the event at night but would have to factor in at least a slight hangover the next day.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NapsteR1 View Post
well done Mish - apologies for my earlier confusion :o)
No apology needed Napster. I live my life in a confused state. xxx
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Still feeling weird not drinking on this work trip. Weird good though. I went out last night with work friends and had a non alcoholic mocktail with lychees in it. Everyone else was drinking cocktails. A few were a little worse for wear today. I've got a bit of a brain fog..fuzzy cotton wool brain thing going on at the moment. Hopefully it's temporary. Finding it harder recalling words, people names and my short term memory had taken a hit. I think it happened last time around the month mark. Love to all...I'm off to sleep xxx