Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats JCNY

Welcome back argi - whats your plan?

D
Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Welcome back Agri. This is your time now! Unfortunately it takes us several (or in my case many) times to enjoy sobriety not just endure and suffer through it. Focus on what you gain in sobriety not what you believe you are missing. All the best. You can do it again! Take care
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by argillaceous View Post
Hi Marchers,

I'm back. And glad to be here. Have been slipping in the time I haven't been checking in. SR was my lifeline for several months, especially during some particularly bad times and really helped me stay away from the drink.

So back again to drink instead from the crisp, clear words of wisdom from my SR buds. Go Ninjas!
You really need to check in and post, argi. It's what really helps keep you accountable.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

My March peeps! Thanks for the shoutouts.

My first step is to stay close to SR as Outonthetiles noted and to work myself up to posting again, especially when I need help to not pick up. Just being here and reading others' posts is, like before, helping. Last night I was so fighting the fight to not drink (but I knew AV had got a toe in the door because I didn't post when I ought to have).

But I did read instead. And I came across someone else struggling tonight and lots of good distraction ideas were mentioned. I got out of my head, and then back in again, and then called and talked to my husband, and after that just tried to distract myself. It worked. It was not easy by any means but I got through a bunch of bill paying and it felt really good.

And also, as SandyO noted, to shift that feeling of missing out on what I perceive in the moment as the only thing that can possibly help me out and think instead of thinking about all the things I would like to do in a sober life and maybe start doing one or two of those in the moment I want to pick up instead on getting stuck on "do I or don't I tonight? do I or don't I tonight? do I or don't I tonight?" It's a lyric on an album I am so ready to retire...

Dee, in response to your question, this time around I'm going to revisit the plan thread and actually go one level deeper for each of the things I add to the plan. So it's not just: "Feel really angry. So go for a walk, etc. etc." But it's those ideas shored up with past successes like tonight. Like "Last time you were really angry you felt helpless and like you had no choice but to drink. But you didn't. Instead, you did X, Y, and Z, and as the evening went on, you became calmer and more steady emotionally."

And I'd like to expand the plan. I only sketched out the top circumstances that I struggle with but there's lots more that happen, and that I expect will happen in the next few months, that I need to get as detailed and thorough as possible.

Thanks for the support JCNY, and everyone else for being here for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by argillaceous View Post
Hi Marchers,

I'm back. And glad to be here. Have been slipping in the time I haven't been checking in. SR was my lifeline for several months, especially during some particularly bad times and really helped me stay away from the drink.

So back again to drink instead from the crisp, clear words of wisdom from my SR buds. Go Ninjas!
You can do it argi. Rooting for you.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Support to you Argi!

Today is 150 sober days, feels good. Meeting with a personal trainer on Wednesday, should keep me regimented.
Congrats JCNY for kicking ass on so many levels!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Checking in Ninjas. I've had the kids solo all week, so it's been a little frenzied. Things are going well on the recovery front. Working my program + AA steps and feeling good about things.

Recovery podcasts (there are many great ones, AA and non-AA based) that help me immensely when I'm alone in the car. I highly recommend checking some out.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Incredibly busy week at work.
Countdown to Disneyland in November.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Support to you Argi!

Today is 150 sober days, feels good. Meeting with a personal trainer on Wednesday, should keep me regimented.
How did I miss this!!?? Congrats on 150 days, you rock star you!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Tiles!

BIB, glad things our going well for you. I haven't really listened to recovery podcasts, but have listened to some motivational speakers on the way to work. Heard this guy Lee Brown for the first time today and he really fired me up.

Spent the weekend with my brother and his family in the Hamptons. Rode a jet ski for the first time in my life and it was a blast. Plenty of challenges to face, but life is good.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hi Ninjas! Although I've been in Class of July I bonded with Marchers! So just saying hey!!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hey Sunshine! I hope all is well with you; glad you came by.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hey Sunshine, hope you're doing well!

I've been fighting a cold and took a sick day today as opposed to a hung over day. Still got out and took a walk at the beach and will get in some home exercises. I found a personal trainer I'm working with 2-3 days a week, trying to get this 51 year old body in tip top shape. It all starts in the kitchen, so really trying to eat right too. Gotta have family night at the local frozen yogurt shop at least once per week though!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

That's great news, JCNY. About your trainer I mean...not being sick.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi All, just dropping in to say hi, just passed the 175 day mark, would love to say I'm feeling good about it but it's like all the repair jobs my body has been meaning to get on with but was too busy repairing the damage I was doing to myself are all being done at once!! so very achy and get colds easily but cracking on and keeping the jug plugged.

Got a letter through from the DVLA - they've asked for a full medical, got that booked in for the 15th Sept. On one hand I'm relaxed about it as it will be 6 months and 2 days since I last took a drink by then so how the heck can I possibly fail a medical?!? On the other hand I'm freaking out a little bit as what if I've damaged my liver to the extent that the blood tests come back with results that look like recent drinking but are actually due to longer term damage?!?! I had full blood test back in May 16 when I went to the doctors for help to stop drinking (which is ironically now on my record which is why I need a full medical to keep my driving licence) and that came back normal - hoping I didn't manage to do significant damage between then and Match 17.

Stress I could do without!!
Old 09-06-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing you the best NapsteR - I'm sure you'll be fine

D
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're doing well Napster. I can't imagine you'll have any issues since everything was normal last year, don't worry!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Napster. I think you'll blood work will surprise you with how good it is. Rooting for great outcomes for ya.

Checking in a few days after my 6 month mark! I simultaneously can't believe it and also can't believe I used to live that old life.

Sorry for being a stranger. Sending virtual hugs and high fives to all of you.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Napster, your tests should be fine. I think damage comes from long term alcohol abuse of years. The human body can take a remarkable amount of abuse, as a lot of us here proved!
Congrats on six months, Betterisbetter!
Old 09-10-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Well done BIB, yeah that old life is further and further in the rear view mirror.

I installed the Quit That app, day 177 for me. Not going to say I'm in a rut, but need to put in more time at work and exercise more.

I consulted with a divorce attorney, not to file yet but to see what to expect if I did. It's so hard since we have a child and so many assets to divide. When we talk, her only concern about me is that sometimes we disagree with parenting decisions. My issues with her are plentiful. She admits to most, but does nothing to change. "Life is short, don't waste it with negative people. Keep them in your heart, but not in your life."