Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 13

Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Hi Jannies. It is so wonderful to have a "home" here. I'm very grateful to you all.

7 weeks for me today. I have felt the biggest bumps this last week or so. 90% of the time I feel great and the 10% I feel down and depressed. I have been posting on here more regularly and absorbing all the great advice on SR. And it's working. Last night was a perfect example. I came home from work tired and the hubby had invited a friend around for a BBQ without asking me first. His friend is great but I just wanted to chill because I was feeling down. I grudgingly helped prepare for the barbie and did some quick housework in my grumpy mood. Then I decided to try mindfulness. I'm not really 100% sure what it means but I started focusing on what I was touching, seeing, hearing and seeing. "The lettuce is green. It's wet. It's crunchy. I'm breaking it in pieces ......" etc. and low and behold I wasn't grumpy anymore and had a great night of preparing things for them. They also didn't drink as much as they normally do and had coffee! I was so proud of them. If I allowed myself to "chill out" because I was in a bad mood, I may have been in a bad mood for the rest of the night and drinking urges would have come.

Feeling strong and proud today, although tired after a 13 hour day!

Delilah, my thoughts are with you and your mum. I really hope a good medical plan of action to recovery happens soon. Thinking of you. Take care of yourself too as well as your mum. All the best.

Have a great day friends.
7 weeks is so great Sandy! I am so proud of you!!

I love what you shared about being mindful when you were in a grumpy mood. I am pretty much ALWAYS grumpy these last few weeks (living with my parents) and I need to try being more mindful! I can't wait to see if it helps- God knows I need help lol!

Glad you are doing well and on a roll- keep on doing what you're doing!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Good morning Jannies,

It's a beautiful sunny day with moderate temperatures so I plan to work in the garden, take a bike ride and watch the Kentucky Derby. I love the pre-race interviews and stories about the horses, owners, trainers and jockeys.

Snacks will be healthy as I cut refined sugar and flour out of my eating program.
It's only been one week but I definitely feel a difference in my energy level and my mood swings. In an odd way my refined sugar and flour consumption began to resemble my alcohol intake. Once I started eating sweets & treats I couldn't stop and that lack of control bothered me. So far I've watched four documentaries or short stories about sugar and the accompanying addictive qualities and it's very eye-opening.

Wishing everyone a good Sober Saturday or Sunday.
Hi Bandi! I also cut out sugar and grains in January. I've had some set backs but for the most part I know follow a ketogenic diet which is super low carb/high fat! I am the same way with sugar and especially this week after my relapse. I cannot eat one piece of pizza or 1 piece of chocolate, bread, candy etc. Anything that turns into sugar becomes a binge just like I can't drink one glass of wine. I do often wonder if the 2 are related since I know of others who also do better avoiding sugars who also have drinking problems. Maybe our bodies simply don't process sugars well? Perhaps it has to do with insulin? I am fascinated by it all.

Glad you are feeling better eating this way and I hope you enjoyed the Kentucky Derby!
Old 05-07-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 70 days Sandy

Love to all the January crew

D
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

SandyO - I liked your post about Mindfulness at #36.

It put me in mind of something I read on zenhabits -

"Make this task your universe"

I like things that help me to focus and to be intentional.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi all. Sorry I don't think it was mindfulness, probably shouldn't have used that word. From what I read it's more about noticing your emotions at the time, but I'm so sick of analyzing myself lately. I just wanted a different thought process so I focused on the lettuce!!

It's a really boring day at work today. The time drags on when it's not busy.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hi Bandi! I also cut out sugar and grains in January. I've had some set backs but for the most part I know follow a ketogenic diet which is super low carb/high fat! I am the same way with sugar and especially this week after my relapse. I cannot eat one piece of pizza or 1 piece of chocolate, bread, candy etc. Anything that turns into sugar becomes a binge just like I can't drink one glass of wine. I do often wonder if the 2 are related since I know of others who also do better avoiding sugars who also have drinking problems. Maybe our bodies simply don't process sugars well? Perhaps it has to do with insulin? I am fascinated by it all.

Glad you are feeling better eating this way and I hope you enjoyed the Kentucky Derby!
Agree Sunflower --I'm also fascinated by the insulin/ leptin factor and how our brains lack the satiety switch when it comes to alcohol or sugar. It is my newest research project. I'm 10 days into the sugar/flour cleanse and my head is clearer, my skin is clearer, my sleep is deeper and I've lost 5 lbs. Weight loss isn't my goal but I'll sure take it as a side effect

Just as drinking did, food took up too much time. The mindless trips to the kitchen plus the What will I eat, when will I eat it, and how will I get it? My 'what am I doing' moment came when I hid a bag of candy in my office because I didn't want my husband to know how much I was eating. Ack!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi all. Sorry I don't think it was mindfulness, probably shouldn't have used that word. From what I read it's more about noticing your emotions at the time, but I'm so sick of analyzing myself lately. I just wanted a different thought process so I focused on the lettuce!!

It's a really boring day at work today. The time drags on when it's not busy.

Have a great day everyone.
Congratulations on your 72 Days Sandy!!
Boring days at work do drag on. I'm not sure what you do at your new job so this may or may not be helpful. Can you start a new project or learn a new software?
I understand about the self-analyzing. It's good to a point because we learn about ourselves but it's also nice to take a break and get out of our heads.
Take care and hope tomorrow is a better day for you......
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good one sandy
Old 05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I'm on day 54 not 70 as commented. Sorry, been meaning to correct it. Just been really busy at work.

Hope you are all well. I'm doing well but starting to slack on my recovery plan. I haven't focused on it for a few days which is a good sign but also the start of complacency.

Take care and have a great day 😊
Old 05-11-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good morning Jannies & Dee

54 days is a really good start Sandy! Great job on recognizing complacency.
This alcoholic disease will convince you that you are Ok. That's when it sneaks back in. Read, post and share.

Wishing everyone a good Sober day or night......xxxx
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies,

Hope everyone is doing well. Sandy and Sunny, I'm proud of you both for your determination to stick with it. Sobriety is not easy at first, but so worth it.

When I was back with my mom she had to share a room the first three days in the hospital. She had three different people in and out, one was an alcoholic woman in her late 50s (my best guess) who had a seizure. They were talking to her about how much she drinks and she said a few glasses of wine a night. Her daughter was with her, and said "Mom, you need to be honest about your drinking, it is more like a few bottles." She told the doctor she didn't plan on giving up alcohol. It was definitely a reminder of how dangerous this disease is. She was in the hospital, she had a seizure, that may or may not have been caused by alcohol, her vitals were all over, and she planned to keep drinking.
I never want that to be my daughter who has to speak up to the doctor.

I sent Bandi a message last night that she and I, and anyone else who celebrated January 1, 2016 as their sobriety date will hit 500 days on Sunday. That's a huge milestone, and it's also Mother's Day. I am planning on enjoying both sobriety and motherhood, and I think I will let my kids and husband spoil me a little.

Have a great day everyone. Wherever you are on your journey keep going, together we can do this!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 05-13-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Happy 500 days to Delilah and Bandi for tomorrow (it's Saturday night here). That is a HUGE number! How wonderful for you both. You must be so very proud of yourselves. I know it's a hard question, but when do you think you "balanced" out physically and mentally (if the latter is possible!)? I know the time frames will be different. I'm prepared for this roller coaster ride just wondering if by your stage it's slows down.

I got some bad news yesterday about my dear little cat. We've only had him for a year (found outside) and he has feline aids and as a result of the medicine, now diabetes. He's not doing well and the vet and I had a little cry yesterday because it's been hard to balance his medications for both diseases as they don't compliment each other. Anyway, I'm just sad that he's weak and now sleeping in dark corners when he used to be sprawled out on the floor or on top of the couch. I'm so pleased to be able to look after him sober. There's no way I could have done the injections 8 weeks ago and I would have blamed myself for his diseases! So grateful for sobriety.

Hope all you Jannies are doing well. Have a great day 😊
Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

“It doesn't matter how many resources you have. If you don't know how to use them, it will never be enough.”

6:25am in Alberta. Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

24 more please, and thanks...
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sandy,

I'm so sorry about your cat, I know my pets are a part of our family, and it has been hard when they have gotten sick.

I think balance is something I work on as part of my recovery, more in the sense of family-work-self. In terms of sobriety I felt much better mentally and physically after a few months. At the one year mark I felt like I turned a page, maybe more of a mental one, it just felt like sobriety was my new normal, and it was a good feeling.

I really haven't thought about drinking in a long time, and I have had some pretty stressful family and work situations in the past 16 months. I think being able to feel and process my emotions has been a good thing. I couldn't escape them through alcohol, I had to face them up front and find a way to deal with them.

I had tried many times in the past to get sober, but I always allowed drinking to somehow be an option again, figured I could drink in moderation after proving I had been able to accumulate some sober time. I know that doesn't work for me, and I believe most of us on here. The past 16 and a half months I have really focused on recovery in the sense of being my best me. I k ow that sounds kind of cheesy, but each day I really work on the mental and physical things needed to be healthy. I also operate out of a mindset of gratitude. It is very easy to get caught up in the craziness of any given day, when I feel my stress level starting to escalate I go for a walk, or go somewhere quiet to reflect and flip my mindset back to positivity and gratitude, and then plan a way to tackle whatever issue may currently need addressing. It is definitely an ongoing process.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

❤Delilah
Old 05-13-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Delilah and Bandi - 500 days is great

D
Old 05-13-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Hi Dee! Hope you're having a good weekend.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

all good here Delilah - thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Sandy, I'm so sorry about your kitty. Diabetes is a tough disease, difficult and time consuming to treat and it's heartbreaking to watch as the disease progresses in our pets.
We had a dog with diabetes and the constant stress of the blood sugar tests, the shots and the emergency vet visits was hard on him and on us. I was not sober at the time and although I believe we did everything for him (humanely and lovingly) I still felt guilt for some time after his euthanasia. I believed I needed to drink to cope with that stress on top of the other life stresses at the time and Nothing could be Further from the truth. It was just another excuse to drink.

I'm so proud of you for being sober and responsible. Please take good care of yourself just as you are taking care of your kitty. When it's time to say good-bye, you'll know you did the best job you could under the circumstances.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Thank you Dee
We like that number!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Happy 500 days to Delilah and Bandi for tomorrow (it's Saturday night here). That is a HUGE number! How wonderful for you both. You must be so very proud of yourselves. I know it's a hard question, but when do you think you "balanced" out physically and mentally (if the latter is possible!)? I know the time frames will be different. I'm prepared for this roller coaster ride just wondering if by your stage it's slows down.

Hope all you Jannies are doing well. Have a great day 😊
Thank you Sandy for the congrats! 500 Days is a huge number and my thanks to Delilah for the reminder!

Good question and I'll ponder it and write something later. Today is absolutely beautiful and I'm on my way out the door to enjoy it.

Wishing everyone a good Sober day or night.....xxxx