Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 23

Old 07-30-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

OOTT, you made me laugh at the perverse pleasure comment. I find the same thing when I just blithely hand back a wine or drink list (like at our anniversary place, one of those with all fancy, specialty cocktails). And, I love that this is the second year in a row that we are getting to hear about your trip! Enjoy.

Some self-assessment and honesty- I have been deliberately going to bed really early. Like, taking my first sleeping pill about 6, before dinner. I am not sure if it is any emotional escape need - or just how I am handling all the change. Mostly just telling on myself here, and deciding to do today differently- ie no nap, and a "normal" (ie 9-10, not 630 and miss dinner, like yesterday) so I can participate in the night. I am fully present and engaged and all that during the day, it just seems like I retreat very early in the evening.

Offhand comment, also - there is a restaurant here that figured largely in both my early post-divorce days and then through my heavy drinking days. A good friend of mine from her working there created an event today at the restaurant, bc it is closing for good tomorrow. I plan to go- mainly to see her- yet I know that there is the chance that my serious ex (last person I dated before Cliff, and that was over in 2013- took me a LONG time to get over) will be there. I am fine with it- just conscious of it. I would kind of like to see him, actually, in this completely sober state and even if we just nod hello, know that on my side of the street, that is done. I made amends to him last year, and got no response (a-ok) - I guess this is just me sharing what's on my mind this morning.

A BIG thing that has happened is that Ben's Friends is now a referral in the EAP (for those in Britain etc, this means Employee Assistance Program and many companies have it as part of their health plan for their employees, and it includes things like counseling, financial planning, etc) for the Georgia Restaurant Association!!! That extends our reach in a huge way. Very proud that my work getting the word out reached ears there.

Take care all-
A
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Back in harness - hope everyone is well

D
Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Checking back in to say hi! I hope all of you are doing well.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mel

D
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I haven't been around much, life just got crazy busy but there are more good things than bad happening right now.

18 months sober today. Wow. There was a time back there when I thought this sobriety thing was beyond me.

Sending you all hugs and love ❤️
Old 08-01-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Jeni

D
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Success is yours Jeni! Thanks for writing about it.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

AWESOME, Jeni! So glad for you.

Hi, Mel! How are you?

Everyone is so quiet- hope all is well.

Yesterday was my birthday (and I LOVE my birthday) and it was truly the best one I can remember. Not just because it was my second one in a row sober (though that would have been enough!) but bc of the totality of the day and just the complete gratitude I have for my life. Gifts of jewelry (seriously? from Keegan, from Cliff and then from Cliff and the dog!) were just bonuses

Loving the fact that right next door is a church with Tu and Fri am meetings- especially now that school is back in, he is up super early so we can spend time and do our devotionals together then I can go to the meeting. Good to have some different folks even though the makeup is a lot like my MWF group.

Doing wife/stepmom stuff is good....interesting...I am trying to get my head around stuff....just keep moving forward!

Take care all-
A
Old 08-04-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many Happy Returns August

D
Old 08-04-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a great weekend

D
Old 08-06-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I'm back! I had a brilliant time, and some of the weirdest conversations in my life so far. Didn't want to come back but I have a lot of boring financial stuff to sort out. My college results are set to be confirmed on Tuesday, then I can get the ball rolling.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hi OT! You made me smile at the weirdest conversations comments- I treasure those!!! I have been told I am high on the quirky scale so I guess the oddball really entertains me, now that I am sober. Glad you're back.

Dinner with my parents last night. Impressive teamwork and self-direction (God's help direction) to go (didn't want to), to be even (worried I wouldn't be) and be peaceable and non-reactive to the smallest things Mom did and said (she was in a frame of mind where she was .... using humor to deflect yet completely reveal self pity- a habit of hers that truly bothers and saddens me). This is a big deal as I would NOT have handled this well at all back when I was drinking- as I remarked to Cliff before we left, this is exactly the kind of night (I knew what it would be like when I asked how their day had been and my dad actually said "we've been arguing") where I would have had a bottle of wine before going to "deal." On a hugely positive note, we had the server we love and have known for 10 or 15 years and her sister is an alcoholic and she has seen my progress. It came up about Ben's Friends when we were catching up and since sh works for a big restaurant (Capital Grille, based out of FL with locations in a number of other cities) I am really excited to connect with her this week and see how we can intro BF to the staff.

Not much on the docket today- glad for that.

Oh! Jeni - meant to tell you - our fave ice cream place (we went there on our second date then anniversary, and Cliff proposed outside in the pretty area where we like to sit) is Jeni's Splendid Icre Creams! It is a place of happiness and deliciousness

Take care-
A
Old 08-06-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Checking in again. Things are going great, no temptation to drink at all. It's pretty funny how well things are going, although I'd say there's even more temptation here than last year.
I realized that Badge and I just passed the 1.5 year mark three days ago. Congrats Badge.
OT, August, Jeni, and Mel, so great to hear from everyone! I hope you had a great time in Hungary, OT.
Badge and Lee, I can't text here because my carrier doesn't want to play nice, but I'll text as soon as I get back to the US.
Stay cool everyone.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Morning all! Going to clear out my room a little bit today to make things easier for when I move out. Hesitating over getting a job, I feel like I should wait until I know what city I'm living in next month, but I'm feeling very inactive right now and I don't like it.

Well done for getting through that sober, August. I find it very interesting that 2 years ago I would have needed a lot of vodka to get through certain experiences and interactions, and now I can handle them perfectly fine without it. Alcohol was fooling us all along!

Congrats on the 1.5 year mark OOTT and Badger.
Hungary was my favourite country OOTT. Will definitely be revisiting Budapest at some point. Slovakia and Austria were okay, but I peaked too soon on my travels with Hungary.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Got back to the US yesterday. Great vacation, cats are fine. Now it's time to get back to work.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good time OOTT.

Last week was stressful as there was technical issue with my exam results, so I've been endlessly calling and emailing people to get it sorted. Should be okay now, back to the waiting game.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Had to bump our thread- hope all are ok just busy with our lives!

All is good here. Adjusting to things as a threesome in the home. A few financial curveballs and we are stretching our communication and sharing muscles around all that...we have an idea of how I would like to go back to work, which is ideally getting a job that has been "in the idea stage" for the founder of the restaurant group who started the Recovery Group I am leading and building here, and essentially putting me as the head of the non profit, handling all locations. If he isn't ready to create that spot, I will likely go work in one of his restaurants and keep doing the same amount of work on a service basis. Timing, patience, work, prayer......communication with Cliff on our one income based decisions....how'd I get so lucky to be one of the ones who lives instead of dies from this disease, and has the kind of "problems/opportunities" I just described? So grateful.

OH! I kicked his butt at the 5K last week- dropped my best time from 35:10 to 31:26 and he was at 36:01 = before we had both been in the 35s!! I have been alternating running and yoga on a consistent routine over the last two months. Now, gotta keep working on the diet.

How is everyone? Pipe in and say hello, friends.
Happy day to all-
A
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Eclipse viewing tomorrow. I got glasses for my whole office and we're going outside to watch tomorrow morning. I'm on the west coast of the US, we'll get about 96 percent totality.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Contract on the house!

Enough said for right now
Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Congrats, August. Things are really moving forward.