Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Day 139
Just a very quick checkin as I have a full day day today. Doing well but looking forward to the week being over. Jumping straight into my project stuff before my run.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone....DLB and MMT...Awesome sober days accumulated!

I am struggling. As Ina said, we have been having glorious Summer-like weather here in Ontario with this being the first long weekend that kicks off the season. Lots of BBQs and social events organized over the next few days. After my lapse I am finding it difficult to find the conviction to do this long term and arguing with myself as to whether I can moderate or not. Anyways, not in a very good mindset at the moment....but really happy for and proud of everyone who has had the courage to stay the course. Have a great weekend guys!! J9
Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

J9, I feel you! The summer weather always sets me off.

Hang in there! I think there's quite a few of us who have relapsed thinking we could drink in moderation, but I try to remember that if I'm even having that conversation with myself than something about my drinking is NOT normal.

Also, I'm a little late on this, but I'm glad you came back here and owned up to it! I know a lot of people who wouldn't have done that, and even when I relapsed last time I didn't come right back here. I managed to drink in moderation for about 6 months and then when that stopped working I finally came back. It was hard and slightly embarrassing, but worth it in the long run! None of us are perfect, that's part of what is so great about this board. There isn't any judgment, just great support, even though it does give me the feeling of having someone to answer to
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey J9

my advice is to go back only a few posts and read your post about your relapse.
Not much moderation there.

Sorry to be blunt, but the AV is really good at spinning you the line that you'll miss out if you don't drink.

Thats nonsense.

I have two speeds regarding drinking - O and 100.

I missed out on a lot of my life because I was too wasted to appreciate it.
I enjoy my life to the full now.

No doubt in my mind sober is better.
I don;t miss a thing

D
Old 05-20-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 140
Another super quick check-in. I had a productive week and feel good about this journey at the moment. It is a lot of work still, and all of it up hill, but I appreciate being able to check-in here each day.

I know the weekends get quiet for our January class so I may browse some of the other groups. It can be a good reminder, for me, of how lucky I am.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all. One more day.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 141
A quick checkin before my run. All well.
Have a great, happy, healthy and sober day all.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 141,
Just a quick check in before bed. Things are starting to feel a bit better. You were right, DLB, I started a new project with a deadline and that seems to really help! I still have the occasional thought, but overall good Long weekend here and lots of people are away camping, which is nice cause my neighbourhood's been fairly quiet Anyways, just wanted to say hey Hope you all had a great weekend
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 142
Just waking up. Waiting for the coffee to kick in . My sleep on Sunday night is always unsettled.

That is exciting about having a new project to focus on, Ina. I personally seem to do better with goals. Especially with so much sober time that needed filling. I should add a deadline to my projects, like you have. It would help.

Still super groggy so just a quick check-in before diving into my morning routine before work.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day Januarians
Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians,

Day 140 here. Things have been going pretty well, just closed week 4 of the show, it's been going well. One week left to go.

For the first time in a while AV showed up big time yesterday. My husband and I were trying to figure out summer plans, and he was able to find some great rates on flights to Ireland (we are in northeastern US). He has a ton of family there, and it would be great to visit. But my anxiety went through the roof, because my number one favorite pastime when in Ireland is BEER. I told him about my anxiety, and he gets it. I don't think we can pass up these amazing rates though. I am going to have to really figure out some fool proof coping strategies.

Here's to another sober day.
NACN
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

122 days for me. That's 18 weeks. 4 months.

Congrats on 140 NACN! We are getting some serious sober time here. I love it!

When I was living in the UK I would visit Ireland all the time for all the wrong reasons... It is a great place, but the drinking culture is pretty intense for sure.

I don't want to be the one to suggest you rethink but you definitively need a strong plans in place and more than simply best intentions. I guess we can't live in a bubble forever, but I'm quite happy limiting myself to being super boring for now in sobriety.

Great to hear things are going well with the show. What is it? I used to teach drama so I was curious...

Anyway, sorry I missed you guys on the weekend. Left my laptop charger at work and can't be doing with trying to use the internet on my ancient phone.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Day 143
NACN congrats on entering the last week of the show. Very exciting.
There are so many things to do in Ireland other than drinking. I am not sure I would be able to go myself as it is too soon for me. If you do decide to go, and get everything carefully planned out as MrM suggested, there will be so many non-drinking activities to have even more fun with. Meeting extended family might be the most challenging. Good luck with your decision.

Well done with hitting 4 months MrM. I remember that was your next milestone.

I am doing well. Getting through things but was a bit down yesterday. Hopefully just a blip

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 143,
Way to go on hitting 4 months Mr.M!!! Massive congrats!!
You too NACN on 140 days!! Good luck on the last stretch of your show!!
Just a quick check in...i've made a to-do list a mile long so I need to get started!
I don't know about you guys, but it still astonishes me each and every day how much time there is in a day when you're not drinking or hungover!!
DLB, hope today is a bit better than yesterday
Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to all of you hitting milestones

D
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Not going to lie, I had a sip of tequila earlier. It wasn't even an 'I want to drink moment' but I'm in mexico for work and it was a cultural thing. That being said, I didn't even like it, didn't want anything after, and honestly it was kind of gross. The important part is I'm not going to use it as an excuse to full on start drinking again - tried that last time and I know how it ends!

So I'm back with my tail between my legs, but not enough that I'm going to jump into a new class thread or anything.

Hope everyone else is holding strong! I have a lot of travel the next few days so don't be alarmed if I'm not around - I promise I'm not off on a bender somewhere!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

How do you think you might handle the cultural thing if it happens again Site?

D
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 144
Hi Site. I am glad you are honest and didn't fall off the wagon. It is nice having you here. I am not sure what cultural reasons people have to drink if they really don't want to. I know you are in a tough situation as you have to travel with your job and there is an expectation of socializing. Having a new plan upfront for the next similar situation seems like a good suggestion. We all have so many pitfalls to dodge. Just different for each of us. Glad you got through this.

My work day was good but still in the dumps a bit towards the end of day. Fatigue was a big part of it. Woke up on time today and am trying to get myself motivated. Getting there. Will be out for my exercise soon and that typically gets me going.

Wishing my fellow Januarians a happy, sober and healthy Wednesday. One more day.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Thanks dlb! Nothing to do but take it as a learning experience and be better prepared next time.

I'm always amazed how much exercise wakes me up in the mornings. It's a nice feeling, that's for sure!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 145
Still waking up with my coffee as I check in.

No low feelings yesterday probably because I stuck to my routine of fitting in exercise and working towards my personal goals, outside of work. Yesterday it was just one YouTube tutorial, working on a personal project and a short run. Maybe I just have less time to sit and over-think things, but whatever, it seems to help. A tiny feeling of achievement.

I usually drive to work but yesterday took public transport. I stood next to a guy , first thing in the morning, well dressed but he was pouring with sweat, when nobody else was, and reeking of booze -sweat. Like old liquor and cigarettes. Maybe my sense of smell is more acute now but I felt so sorry for him, as I heaved and turned away. I wondered how many times that has been me and what my coworkers must have thought when I did.

Happy to be here now. Partly thanks to SR so I feel very grateful.

Have a healthy, hangover-free and fulfilling day Januarians. One more day !!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Checking in as I sit in Dunkin' Donuts enjoying a tea while my car gets an oil change next door! Feeling accomplished getting some things done early in the morning!

Today is my wedding anniversary, 21 years. I'm an old fart! We will probably go out for a bite to eat after the show tonight. I am getting more accustomed to going out and not getting a drink, so that is a small step. I allow myself a Diet Coke, which I am trying to stay away from otherwise!

No decisions made as of yet for our possible trip to Ireland. My AV has calmed down a bit about it. Still something to think about. Thank you all for your advice.

DLB, I totally hear you about smelling booze off of people now! It does make me sad for the person more than anything else. And yes, I too wonder how many times I was that person. Feels good to be "clean" in so many ways.

Sending positive thoughts for a happy, healthy sober day to my fellow Januarians!
NACN
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy anniversary needachangenow