Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 30

Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

That's a great idea to buy a new instrument Dee, i'm guessing it'll be a guitar, most probably a Gibson? Am I close?

Tops, you'll be rebuilt "better, stronger, faster" just like the six million dollar man (yes, I'm that old-I can remember the programme: "she's breaking up! She's breaking up! We can rebuild him......" What a classic.

Back to work this week, it'll be a bit of shock to the system
Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

A little rough this am......went to community to stream church service & now home cleaning garage to make room for bunny hutch I'm picking up this afternoon from sister. I have a bit of the shakes this am & of course AV thinks I should drink to complete this project......told it to get lost. Wish there was a pill I could take to get rid of the dis-ease I feel. I will not drink today
Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Probably not a guitar I have enough of those...something new freein - I'll know when I see it

D
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Box on Mariah. It will pass. Full support from me.

Monday here.
Family dog at vets. Red blood cells. Doesn't look good.
Council out front for a new Road. That's good. Talked them into re doing our driveway. So that's good.

No drinking today. Just sit with it.

Dee.... pedals....you can never have enough.

Hope all are well.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hope your dog is ok Obo.

Mariah, great work kicking that AV in to touch
Have you got the hutch in position yet?

It's been busy today, as I knew it would be, and it'll be the same again tomorrow. But it actually feels quite good to get back in to my normal routine.

Hope everyone's had a great start to their week.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obosob View Post
Family dog at vets. Red blood cells. Doesn't look good.
Hope your dog improves quickly Obo.

There was a thread years ago started by someone who finally drank after several years of sobriety after their old dog passed away . From personal experience, losing a longtime pet may be one of the most gut wrenching experiences in my life .

There was a guy ( a dog lover, by his screen name, and avatar ) ,...who mentioned on that particular thread that there are thousands of people all around the world who are experiencing the very same thing with their pets this week, ....yet ,...the last thing on their mind would be to get drunk over it .

I'm doing a terrible job paraphrasing him,...but I'll never forget it ,

.......it really made me contemplate if my sobriety had any qualifiers still ,...at that time .
Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for your dog Obo.

D
Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Remember to look after yourself Obo. Emotional times are can be triggers.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey guys-

Congrats dee!

Just checking in, more later ... hope everyone's doing ok
Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in Izzy, hope all's well.

I'm drowning in paperwork! It's hard getting back to work after a break, however well I've prepared for it. I feel like a rusty cog in a big machine, that no one has bothered to oil.

It'll calm down by the end of the week, no doubt.

One of my closest co-workers has decided to leave, which I'm really sad about.

But, on the positive side, I'm back to my half hour workouts each morning (I took a break over the last week or so). I'm hoping to buy a couple of hand weights this weekend, to intensify the strength training sessions - I think my seedling of a muscle can handle a bit of resistance by now. I'm not aiming for an oak tree, but perhaps a delicate little Japanese Acer type bicep would be nice

How's everyone else doing fitness wise? (Tops you obviously have concession to heal your body first before embarking on anything strenuous!, but I hope your body is still healing nicely).

Have a great day all.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post

But, on the positive side, I'm back to my half hour workouts each morning (I took a break over the last week or so). I'm hoping to buy a couple of hand weights this weekend, to intensify the strength training sessions .
Sorry to hear about one of your favorite coworkers leaving Freein,...

...that's been a rare occurrence for me, but always surprisingly tough when it has .

Good for you getting some smaller weights to improve and change up your workouts !!
I like using my old 15 lb dumb bells as a pair or just one sometimes .
Lighter weights really offer more options ( imo ) to vary the range of motion and also speed up or slow down , ( half beats, etc. )....as I many times workout to music, so it becomes a sort of high rep continuous improvised choreographed affair to exhaustion .
Isolating smaller muscle groups seems more easily achievable also,.....and probably most important ,... just to keep it from becoming boring with continued variety I guess ,....

I think of it ,....like ( metaphor coming !? )if you climbed a giant tree for a singular workout,....it'd be more interesting to climb it as many ways as you could over the months ,...and climb different trees whenever you could for even more variety.

,.... maybe I'm just easily bored with too much consistency huffin and puffin' working out !??
Old 03-30-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

My dad had open heart surgery yesterday morning at 7am and it was taking him forever to come out from the anesthesia late in the afternoon,

.... it was already a long, long day for me at that point,..

Went over to Georgia to see him in the cardio ICU this am . ....and he's doing pretty darn good. Dr. said he was a good patient to work on. It really surprised me they would do that kind of surgery on an 86 year old .

Apparently he needed a "Aortic Valve Replacement ",...they put a "fiber" type valve in ,..instead of a "mechanical" one, ....so he won't have to use any blood thinners ,...

They'll move him out of ICU tomorrow hopefully, so some of his surviving extended family can come around there .

The only workout I had today was cleaning the skiff after driving back from Georgia.

May have a storm coming soon . if the weatherman is to be believed ?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

So glad to hear your Dad is doing well Tops. That's quite a procedure for an 86 year old! I hope he recovers quickly.
Yes, I think adding weights to my workouts will help to keep a bit of novelty. And I actually love feeling my muscles tiring in a weird way. I'm doing 4 interval training workouts and 3 strength training workouts a week. Only about half an hour a day - it's amazing how much difference it makes to this 51 year old body!
I'm beginning to realise that keeping a healthy body takes a bit more effort these days.
I've been late home from work every day this week, but today I'm planning to leave work early if I can. Get the weekend off to an early start.

I'm in for the Bargain, as always.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad your Dad is going ok Tops

keep going with the progreamme FreeIn

In for the bargain too, as always

D
Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Tops, is the skiff sea worthy at the moment, or are you still working on it?

I'm looking forward to some water adventures this year. I'm even thinking of celebrating my 3rd Soberversity with an early snorkelling expedition, weather permitting

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Tops, is the skiff sea worthy at the moment, or are you still working on it?

I'm looking forward to some water adventures this year. I'm even thinking of celebrating my 3rd Soberversity with an early snorkelling expedition, weather permitting

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend.
Oh my goodness ,...is it ever !

Keep it parked in the drive which is close enough to a couple of giant live oaks to keep me picking the falling leaves out of it everyday lately ,....and tinkering around cleaning, waxing the inside .

,....today started waxing a bit of the hull.

Did a search for one like mine ,....

Here's a link to a few pictures I found of a 2002 Pathfinder 1900 for sale down in Fla. that looks like the same color and year, ....but apparanly this dude is asking wa..aaay too much money for his .
My outboard is the 115 Yamaha instead of the 150 Yamaha .
Pathfinder offered those two options in 2002 .

Boat for sale - Pathfinder 1900 V - 19'

I'm not experienced ( or brave enough ) to take such a small boat too far out in the ocean, ......just stick to the rivers and bays ,....and the Port Royal Sound,....which feels like the ocean ,...to me .
Spotted a giant sea turtle floating close to the surface out there one day .

There are many bottle nose dolphin in this area yea round in the rivers to ease up on .

https://www.google.com/search?q=2002...phin&*&spf=335
Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Your skiff looks very sleek, Tops! What a wonderful experience to be able to see sea turtles and bottlenose dolphins close up.

I'm on the lookout for swallows today, they should be around in the next few days. They fly all the way from Africa, through so many obstacles and dangers. It's a treat to see the first swallows of the year.

I love this time of year - there's an energy in the air that's been dormant through the winter. Time to get moving.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Those long distances some migratory birds travel always amazes me !

We've got a population of water birds ,.....various storks, egrets , herons, etc. that travel from Africa also.

Apparantly, the loggerhead sea turtles return to where they were born some 25 years later to lay their own eggs !

This local article describes a little of the process ;
Hilton Head Island sees record sea turtle nesting season | Bluffton Today

Some mornings I'll find several nests down by the more isolated beach here .
Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Turtles are magnificent creatures aren't they?....they look very prehistoric.
I didn't see any swallows yesterday, but I'll still keep my eyes peeled while I'm driving down to see my parents.

It's a beautiful morning here - I would love to stay at home and potter about. We've not really been a close family in the past, my parents really didn't seem that interested in our lives as we grew up, so it feels a bit odd seeing so much of them now. Sometimes I can't help resenting this routine a bit - I feel a bit guilty saying that, and I try not to complain, but I can't seem to enjoy the visits as much as I "should".

It's difficult sometimes.

Anyway, hope everyone's having a great weekend.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Freein, ,.....you complain as much as you want around here.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like I do burning up the road over to Georgia ,...... to visit my ailing parents .

My one sister lives 5 hours away in Georgia, and has to spend most of her time taking care of her ailin' husband .,.....who suffers from the result of never once trying to make even a little effort in 40 years to take care of his health . They're steadfast with blind lunacy throwing more money at the medical profession is a cure-all !?

I'm sure there must be more than one drunk with the same delusions !

On a more positive note,...how was the bird watching today ?

I've been making some slow progress restoring several old, ... (and one not-so-old) doors around here .