Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-28-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Day 12 here, and I really feel for those who are struggling because I've been there too many times to count. Yes, to the point of sobbing on the ground in a dark kitchen holding a bottle of vodka. Yeah, dark times...

I'm not quite sure why this go-around has been so easy for me (so far), but I'm following the advice on SR: have a detailed plan, drink A LOT of water, detox, multivitamins + B complex, eating breakfast, keeping busy, breaking my routine, planning for common triggers, etc. I've had a lot of ongoing physical ailments that are no doubt alcohol related (chronic shoulder pain, hives, alcohol related neuropathy on the side of my foot, severe heartburn, etc.). Fortunately even in this short period my health seems to be improving rapidly. I'm also planning on a long hike Saturday morning, so early to bed Friday night!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Today I decided to drink. I don't know why I did that but I did. This morning drinking was so unlikely. I would have thought it ridiculous if someone had suggested that'd happen.
This is the way I give in everytime. There's never any struggle, I just start drinking. Willpower don't come into it.
Anyway.,,,,,,,,
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Meow

Pick yourself up and start over again, taplow. You too babyblues.

You can do this!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

I hope so PurpleCat. Hopefully work will go easy on me tomorrow. I really don't want to drink. Best wishes everyone.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
Pick yourself up and start over again, taplow. You too babyblues.

You can do this!
I am! 18 hours in so far! Feeling relatively good . Looking forward to the night sweats tonight - they suck, but that means I didn't drink today. I need to break my routine as well...I always used to make it a point to get home from work before my husband so that I could sneak some drinks in before he got home. (If always hiding my drinking wasn't a warning sign of impending addiction, I don't know what is!) Anyhow...despite being exhausted, I think I'll work late today .
Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

My quit date is Feb 25th. So I thought I should join this group.
I am not new to this site. I have tried to quit so many times is is an embarrassment.
But I am here again and am going to do things different.

asixstringnut
Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Me too sixstring. Going to make it stick this time, I have had my last bender !
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Great job Babyblue - good job! Maybe you can find something positive to do for yourself after work before your H comes home. In the beginning, I would take a longggggg walk (like 6 miles or so) after work before getting into the car to drive home.

Taplow - I'm so sorry for your slip. It's just a slip though. Just figure out what happened and make a plan for next time. These early days are so scary for all of us, I think. We wake up sure of ourselves . . . and we don't yet have all the answers, so little things can knock us off kilter.

For example: I never knew I used alcohol an award. I had to slip up to learn that about myself. Now I know I need to work around that - to use something else as my reward.
-----
So back to another day 9 for me. I'm realizing that since I've stopped drinking alcohol, I started drinking way too much coffee. I've never been much of a coffee drinker before. I can tell, it's not really good for me so I decided to give up caffeine for lent. Man o man - do I have a HEADACHE!! I just had a small cup of coffee to ease up the pain. I really, really hurt while detoxing. Now my reaction to the lack of caffeine is so strong. Who knew I was so sensitive? I don't think it's just me being a baby ('cause I'm not a wimp about pain usually). And I've only been drinking a lot of coffee in the last five weeks or so.

My heart really goes out to those who are dealing with the effects (and changing effects) of stronger meds while they are in these early stages of sobriety.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Asixstringnut - there is NOTHING embarrassing about slaying this dragon. It's a tough foe. It so good to see you here with us!

Spartanman - WELCOME!!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Welcome all the new guys
I find I want a drink when
1,I've had a good day
2.ive had a bad day
3. Work is hard
4 I've had a success at work
Blah blah
I just have to go and sit in a dark room and rock until I calm down
Don't beat your self up for a slip never give up giving up
Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Ive been the gym tonight any way and had a fab workout feel strong tonight
Going to drink coffee and chill
Goodnight And good luck all
Old 02-28-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 'graduation' to the new forum guys

D
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Rough day. Ate lots of food and am getting in bed and staying there, even though it's only 4:30PM. I need to hide from the world at the moment.

I hope all of you have a much better day than I did. *hug
Old 02-28-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Morning all, hi new ppl.....just checking in quickly. Catchu all later, have a good one.

Day 23 here

Later
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

This 'relief or respite' thread is good stuff! http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...f-respite.html

Spartanman and sixstringnut - So glad you're here with us!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Don't wallow in your slips, revel on how short and small and further in between you can make them.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

milly - I find that I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine now, too. I've only been drinking one cup a few mornings a week and that's all it takes to get my heart racing and make me feel veryyy panicky. And the headaches from not having coffee? Horrid.

Frank - Fantastic that your health is improving so quickly! Such a great reward for not drinking.

Babyblues - Great attitude! The night sweats became less frequent after my first week but I do still suffer from them here and there. I still don't like wearing anything to bed that touches my skin so it's loose fitting, lightweight cotton nightgowns for me.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Today I decided to drink. I don't know why I did that but I did. This morning drinking was so unlikely. I would have thought it ridiculous if someone had suggested that'd happen.
This is the way I give in everytime. There's never any struggle, I just start drinking. Willpower don't come into it.
Anyway.,,,,,,,,
You'll feel better tomorrow. You don't have all the days and weeks of drinking to deal with as you did before. Stay with us, taplow!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new people! May your first few days be easy. Let us know how you're doing!
Taplow, I'm sorry you drank again. I've done it so many times. Making a plan, knowing I can't do it alone and getting help, have made a big difference for me. Don't be down on yourself. We're all pulling for you.
I'm drinking my favorite juice. I came home very tired. I'm supposed to go to a meeting at 8. I just don't think I have it in me. I'm going to take a shower and see if I'm revived enough.
It's so important for me not to get complacent. It's my old habit. The new habit is putting my recovery and sobriety ahead of anything else.
As tired as I am though, I don't know if going to the meeting would really be a help.
Happy sober night everyone!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
This is the way I give in everytime. There's never any struggle, I just start drinking. EWillpower don't come into it.
Anyway.,,,,,,,,

I can relate to thus so much. It's like I'm 2 different people, one person in my head, and another person in my body. In the past I would find myself drinking, or whatever, and think, "what am I doing? Why did I decide to do this?" And I wouldn't have an answer for it.