Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

How do you all beat the 'complacent' feeling..

You start to feel better, it's been a few weeks, it wasn't that bad, maybe this time you can limit it....

What do you do to keep yourself aware and alert to never drinking again?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post

You start to feel better, it's been a few weeks, it wasn't that bad, maybe this time you can limit it....

Thanks
This feeling good complacency has been a repeated downfall for me in the past. This time part of my plan is to be reminiscent of the mornings instead of the evenings. I also say to myself and out loud when appropriate "I will never drink again" whenever the thoughts come up. It has worked so 2 or 3 times for me this month so far. Writing about such events in my personal journal and here help too. I know that there is something out there that will work for you and when you find it let us know I'll take all the tools I can find
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Old 02-24-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Meow

Thanks
It's hard, isn't it? The one other time I quit for a while, I got caught up in that with obvious results.

For right now I'm keeping it in the context of my weight loss program, which is working well, but as I lose the weight it is going to become more of a concern.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in. I just finished a workout at the gym and am headed home. I had a good workout and drank lots of water. It seems quell the urge to drink a bit. Going home to eat dinner with family. I'm sure my wife will be surprised. Ordinarily I would be headed to the liquor store on the way home. Not tonight. Looking forward to having a hangover free Saturday. Have a good night.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Today was a good day... (not the real tickets, but actually got through and was able to buy opening day tickets at face value!!!...21 straight years)

Ugghh... picture doesn't come thru. Lame.
Anyway, got Cubs tix today!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
Just a quick check in. I just finished a workout at the gym and am headed home. I had a good workout and drank lots of water. It seems quell the urge to drink a bit. Going home to eat dinner with family. I'm sure my wife will be surprised. Ordinarily I would be headed to the liquor store on the way home. Not tonight. Looking forward to having a hangover free Saturday. Have a good night.
Hangover free weekend days are pretty sweet!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi all,

My 2nd day and set intention yesterday to become sober (Feb 23 2017)! Last drink at work party on Wednesday. I am feeling good.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome conradan

D
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Welcome Conra!!! Looking forward to getting know you. We have a great group!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Welcome Conradan.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Just checking in: it's Saturday! Yay! No hangover for me! Yay.

As you all know, historically, Friday nights were my big booze nights, with the resulting disastrous Saturday mornings which would last all day: hangover from hell; pounding head, body aching all over, the paranoia, feeling of impending doom, anxiety, heart pounding in my chest, mind racing: what happened of dire consequence, where's my car? Did I take my car??? How did I get home? Who was I with? What time did I get home? Where's my belongings: my bag, my phone, my glasses??? Aaaarrrgggghhhh

How did I continue living like this for years.

Until I decided stop! No more! End! No more pain, no more horrors. Now my Saturdays/weekends are filled with what I want to do: peace, contentment with a large dose of fun thrown in. All day shopping in town yesterday with one of my dearest and oldest friends, and not a single thought to a drop of alcohol. We did share a few (of my) drinking memories from the past and as she calls it "my vulnerable days".

Off to the theatre today with hubby. Such a complete and utter change from before. Happy and joyous weekend everybody xx
Old 02-25-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Thanks
Trees , I really struggle with this. One thing I'm trying to bear in mind this time is healthy recommended limits for drinking. I know that, if I drank again, I would never be satisfied with the recommended, healthy, weekly limits (which are getting lower and lower) therefore my drinking would, by definition, be unhealthy.

I also struggle with complacency when I see other people drinking (usually on TV)- 'they're having a drink and it's not doing them any harm'. When this happens I reflect on how smoking was viewed in the mid-20th century i.e. as a perfectly acceptable, social habit. I tell myself that alcohol will go the way of nicotine (eventually) and become to be viewed in the same way. Whether this actually will happen or not isn't the point, but viewing in this way seems to be helping me.

I've tried to moderate so many times and every time it had failed. It's never been 'that bad' (no DUI, no loss of home etc) but, every time my health has got a little bit worse. My health symptoms come back in the same order each time, with an extra one added on at intervals- in rough order:

1st - tiredness during the day - more naps needed
2nd - eyes lose whiteness
3rd- food choices change (more junk, more carbs)
4th - weight gain
5th - skin gets spotty (in the last drinking phase some cystic spots which were a nightmare)
6th- have to buy antacids again as acid reflux has returned
7th- headaches at work so start popping ibuprofen (not paracetamol as I don't want to damage my liver - oh the irony!)
8th - cheeks become red - have to use a green-hued make up base to hide this so people can't see it (yeah, right)
9th - skin becomes itchy. I scratch and create sore bits which are then really difficult to heal. Can't use any perfumed products.
10th - I notice I'm losing a lot of hair on my pillow
11th - I sweat a lot and it doesn't smell like normal sweat. I can't bear anything right on my skin so I swap my normal clothes for baggy sweatpants etc.
11th - muscle tone in legs and arms is reduced
12th - pain where my liver is
13th - gum disease
14th - I was diagnosed with central serous retinopathy which affects my vision and is not corrected with glasses etc. It is caused by high levels of cortisol. I don't, and have never, used steroids but guess what affects cortisol levels?. You guessed it, alcohol and stress.
15th - difficulties remembering things and slow thinking like my brain has rusted - this one scared me.

Apologies for the rather grim post, but I hope it gives a picture of what happened to me with complacency.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and welcome to all the newbies! 6 a.m. and sober with no hangover...Loving it! It never gets old!
Badger-I'm from northeast US so it's mid winter. We've had a nice stretch of beautiful weather. Yesterday was over 70F! We ended up treating ourselves to Chinese food yesterday after my daughter had a great appointment. It was delightful!

We're headed to see my brother today. He just bought a new home, so excited to see it. We will probably take a walk-he said there's ano awesome bakery nearby

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, it's 28 days today for me. I've been here before though so mustn't get complacent. Four weeks sobriety is no reason to pretend that alcohol isn't the serious problem that it's been for me in my life. I hope that everyone who's drinking and wants to stop can get a decent run going. But the real hard part is to keep it going when the crisis moves into the background which is about where I am now.
Good luck everyone.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Complacency is a huge problem for me, too. It doesn't feel like it's dangerous when it starts, because it's just that I want to live like a normal person and not have to put work into it. But, it's very dangerous. It's what's taken me out time after time. So finding the answer to your question, Trees, is really important for me.
I plan to continue coming here and to AA, and at the suggestion of a friend I'm going to write out the things that make me know I'm alcoholic and write out what happened around the times I've started to stay sober and then relapsed. I think that will help.
I have to work short days today and tomorrow. I'll be back this evening. I hope you all have a great day and stay sober!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Thanks for inviting me to join you. Day 16 for me today!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Good morninggggg!
Slept so well last night that I feel fantastic this morning! I don't know what I'm going to do today but I think I'll start off with a few sun salutations, then breakfast and coffee and... ?

Back in a bit!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Hi Everyone

Thanks for inviting me to join you. Day 16 for me today!
Day 16 is brilliant! Well done
Old 02-25-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

So much good stuff here this morning. Thanks to all

Tree: How do you all beat the 'complacent' feeling..

Wow, that really is the question, isn't it? I love Bluebird's answer. I'll have to make a list all my own. Withdrawal was so horrible for me. Just so painful. But like childbirth, I suppose, even great pain fades quickly from memory.

Alcohol is poison. I mean that literally. I think I have to keep that in the front of my mind. Does anyone really drink for taste? 'Cause the stuff tastes like crap. Non alcoholics mix alcohol with mixtures to hide it's taste, right? Everyone's just trying to get that buzz. Alcoholics learn the mixes slow down the time to the buzz. So we drink the stuff straight. Even wine. The first two glasses or so kind of taste bad. It's the third that starts to "taste" good once the buzz is taking hold.

So I have to remind myself that the first glass isn't what I want. It's just a gateway to a third . . . fourth . . . etc . . . And all of it is just poison.