Notices

I Will Not Drink/Use Today Part 4

Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well done, C2.

I'm sneaking up on you as well. I'm not going to post about it though. I don't like the congratulations, it makes me uncomfortable.

I won't drink today, it just isn't going to happen. The thought still crosses my mind, but it just happens and I'm not giving in to it.

Duality. Seems to be human nature, no?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Courage

I feel ill at ease with congrats too Bim but I'm reconciled to it if it helps someone else see that change is really possible.

D
Old 02-03-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good heavens, people! I bask!
Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Good heavens, people! I bask!
I basked and baked today (total red face- no lotion)...and, I will again for you too, Gilmer, on your sober anniv. Btw, I enjoy your vocab...you oft pop a word out there that I've tucked away, or, more likely, forgotten.

Hi, MD...nice to see you. Join us.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Rub it in, you jerk! It was so cold here today that even my sleeping bag of a coat felt like a T-shirt!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Courage - So much math!! Your succinct writing style reminds me of a college friend who is a professor of Elizabethan poetry or some such thing. That's where I got the inkling it might be literature.

Gilmer - I bask too.

I'm behind both Courage and Bim. Feb 23rd will be 3 years for me. No need to mark your calendars; I'm sure I'll have plenty more posts leading up to it to remind everyone.

Carlos - Glad you got to enjoy the beach today! Today was cold but sunny where I live. You lived in the Northeast long enough to have guessed that. I bet it helps you appreciate warm February days!

Marion - Hello & welcome!

Badge, Tom, and all the other thread mates - I'll join you in not drinking and using today.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all, and thanks for the warm words. I'm with those of you who aren't big fans of milestone celebrations -- in fact, I'm never sure if my date is 2/3 or 2/4 -- I had to look it up lol. But like Dee, I hope that others gain something from knowing even a no-goodnik like me can put together some time

I had to go to a party for someone I've worked with for more than a decade who's leaving the state. First a big "happy hour" at a bar, and then a much smaller group for dinner. I strategized meticulously: 15 minutes bar time (never took my coat off there), no dependency on anyone else for travel, light meal, quick "excuse me I must run" before the dessert course and straight home. Everyone drinking was kind of like when the music in a coffee shop is too loud -- it spoiled my appreciation of the company. Oh well, it's over; I did the right thing by my colleague. I've been dreading it for days and my stomach still hurts from the tension.

I'm happy to have seen today come in without drinking or drugging, and go out that way too.

Carlos, how I wish I'd spent the day at the beach!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm glad the ordeal is over, Courage!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi all, and thanks for the warm words. I'm with those of you who aren't big fans of milestone celebrations -- in fact, I'm never sure if my date is 2/3 or 2/4 -- I had to look it up lol. But like Dee, I hope that others gain something from knowing even a no-goodnik like me can put together some time

I had to go to a party for someone I've worked with for more than a decade who's leaving the state. First a big "happy hour" at a bar, and then a much smaller group for dinner. I strategized meticulously: 15 minutes bar time (never took my coat off there), no dependency on anyone else for travel, light meal, quick "excuse me I must run" before the dessert course and straight home. Everyone drinking was kind of like when the music in a coffee shop is too loud -- it spoiled my appreciation of the company. Oh well, it's over; I did the right thing by my colleague. I've been dreading it for days and my stomach still hurts from the tension.

I'm happy to have seen today come in without drinking or drugging, and go out that way too.

Carlos, how I wish I'd spent the day at the beach!

Glad that you powered through, courage!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober and clean day!!!!! Bring it on.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I WILL NOT drink/use today!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I won't drink today. It's not even light out yet, and I've been up twiddling my thumbs for over two hours.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I won't drink today. It's not even light out yet, and I've been up twiddling my thumbs for over two hours.
??? I always imagined you were a good sleeper, bim. Am I wrong or is something on your mind?

I don't have to be anywhere or see anyone all day. My little ordeal last night is trivial in the big scheme -- it's a privilege to be able to complain about fine dining -- but truly I'd rather dig ditches than eat in a fancy restaurant with a party of 10 and several bottles of wine.

How long does it take you to shake off the aftereffects of being around booze? Me, about 48 hours. But if you have less sober time than, say, a year, I'm a strong advocate of staying far far away from events that include drinking. They used to really rock me, just mess with my head.

Who's here today? tomls, Soberleigh, badger, gilmer, biminiblue, Carlos, gleefan, Dee, Mklove, mariondavis -- it's a delight to know you're all out there and I'm not going to drink that feeling away!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

When one goes to bed at 8PM, one is more than likely awake at 3:30-4AM. I sleep really well, 8-10 hours per night.

I have to go to bed early to keep my fingers out of the cookie jar. Plus I'm old, so I've earned a right to go to bed at 8.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Well, you've shamed me, left eye and Gilmer, and I chose to pass on the beach or pool after my workout and maybe just a lazy day? Tomorrow, however, at 11:08, I will be teeing it up for an afternoon on the links. Sorry, vocab BL.

Wrapped up a Whole 30 a couple days ago and toying with the idea of a slice of my fav pie today as a treat. No, not the kind with processed sugar...pizza is my fav pie.

I went to watch the Steeler playoff games at a buddies bar in Tampa. It's a Pittsburgh theme bar during their games and scores of Pittsburgh fans go there. Every time it got OLD to me. I simply cannot stand to be around a bunch of people drinking. Not judging them at all...it just serves no purpose in my sober life anymore, and isn't fun. Sooo, BAM - out, per my new gauge from Cour.

Bim, I have that same schedule most days. Even broke a record and hit the sack at 7:53 this week. Haha, that's my new time to beat.

Btw, no drankin' on this end today.

tata...Carlos
Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good day, g'nite, good time to be sober.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Carlos - I know what you mean about scores of drunk people getting tiresome. Same for me. I sense an opportunity for you to build your network of sober football fans who want to enjoy the camaraderie of watching the game together, eat some snacks, etc.

Speaking of football, who's watching the game tonight??

Bim - Early to bed, early to rise!

Last week I had both of the interviews for the promotion I didn't get last Fall. They went well. I should know this week.

I have a handyman ripping through some repairs on my house. They're simple if you have the tools and know how, but would have taken my husband and I four times the time to do, and wouldn't look as good when complete.

I've been packing. Ive been throwing some stuff away and giving away what I can. I am not a pack rat at all but I have more stuff than I realized that I don't use. I don't have the wherewithal at the moment to simplify and toss it. There's too much going on for me to have time to think about it now, and that level of simplifiacation is going to require some meditating upon. I think it's healthy that I recognized it and am considering it. I'm even marking items that I don't use for storage in the new house, so after meditating upon it, I can go through it - when the time is right.

Next on the list is packing the kitchen stuff that had been stored deep in the recesses of the cabinets. I'm going to give it a fair shot in the new kitchen and whether it is used will be the litmus test for whether it is donated to a new home.

With everything going on I am taking healthy amounts of breaks! I'm really "proud" of that - more like grateful to recovery for teaching me the importance of self care, and grateful to have learned tools to implement it!

Gil, Tom, Badge, Cour, Bim, Carlos - I'll be joining you in your plans not to drink or use today.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Glad to have you aboard GF! I won't too!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wow, glee; you have a lot going on! Much happiness to you in your new home.